• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First service DCT

Whiteknuckle

Reaction score
Visit site
so i dropped off my NC750X DCT in for its first service on Friday. Just a bit over the 1000km (1236km)

Has anyone else have the dealer forget about the dct filter? When i was presented the bill i looked it over and asked about the DCT filter as only
one filter was on the bill.

A bit of checking and no they did not change the DCT filter and no did not even have any DCT filters in stock. They ordered one but it wont be in until next week. So i have to bring the bike
back in next week to have them change out the filter (no charge)

I will stop by the dealer first thing next Saturday. They said they will prioritize me in and change the filter so i will not have to wait too long.
Question. will they also have to change the oil again? do not think they can just remove the filter and not have the oil leak out?

Do not really fault the dealer. This whole DCT thing is new for Canada this year. But on the other hand i would have thought they would know this since they are servicing the bike. Would
have to know what parts are needed and what is required to service. Next time i book a service i will make sure to remind them to have the filter in stock.

Interesting, when my NC was close to due for the first oil change I stopped by my preferred Honda shop (vs the local Honda shop) and picked up both filters and oil. Never occurred to me they might not stock the extra DCT filter. Now you've made me nervous so I'll go buy an extra one to be sure I have it on hand for the next oil change.

I seem to remember reading that a DCT owner changed his filter out AFTER he did his oil change because he didn't get it in time to do both filters at the same time as his oil change. He didn't want to waste the new oil so he simply and very gently laid the bike over on its left side and changed the DCT filter with no leakage other than a few drops.

I would expect the dealer to look up what is required for the first service and do it. If they didn't look it up and didn't do it, I would not be happy with their performance would most likely not return. Just my two cents. I go to a dealer in a different city as I feel I am better served then the one closest to me.

Question. will they also have to change the oil again? do not think they can just remove the filter and not have the oil leak out?

Just to see, with the bike on it's side stand, I pulled off the DCT oil cover, removed the DCT oil filter and then put it all back together. The bike was on it's side stand, so leaning a little in the right direction. Very little oil leaked out.

You, or the dealer, can put in the new DCT filter without concern about losing oil. Takes 15 minutes max.
20160514_222002.jpg

Last edited:
There is also an oring for the DCT filter cover that 'should' be replaced according to the service manual. I bought two of everything and plan on doing the first service myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...and plan on doing the first service myself.
If you want it done right you've got to do it yourself, besides you'll save the $99 labour charge* AND it's interesting, at least I think so.

*First service $99 ($112 with taxes) plus parts, so I was told when I took delivery.

You must be close to the 600 mile mark by now. How easy is it to get at the main filter with that skid plate?

If you want it done right you've got to do it yourself, besides you'll save the $99 labour charge* AND it's interesting, at least I think so.

*First service $99 ($112 with taxes) plus parts, so I was told when I took delivery.

You must be close to the 600 mile mark by now. How easy is it to get at the main filter with that skid plate?

Hah, I've had the thing two days and spent most of day 1 and day 2 adding stuff, practicing drills in a parking lot, scrubbing tires in. Rain here today :(
I haven't read the manual and I don't know what any buttons on the dash do or how to make the odometer appear. Don't even know the mileage. :)
(I can tell you the torque values that hold the engine to the frame though.)

The skid plate has to come off to access the filter, it's four bolts. The skid plate also needs filing/grinding in a few spots to make it clear the OEM centerstand.
You also need the OEM center-stand to install the SW-Motech skid plate as the instructions have you take off and replace bolts that secure the side-stand. (or get a front and rear lift...)

It sounds like they're charging you an hour of labor plus maybe $40 in parts. The only reason I can think of to do first service at the dealer is for them to inspect the bike and find/fix any warranty related issues, but good luck finding a dealer who will do this. Most just have the teenage shop monkey do the oil changes and will probably screw it up, so if it didn't arrive with any problems it will probably leave with them.

I bought all my parts from procaliber.com, they're cheaper than MSRP for parts, free shipping and discount code. They are slow as molasses to ship though. (10+ days.)

I'm using amsoil and get a Napa oil filter, the Napa oil filter is made by wix and cost less then 7 dollars
77b550cb51cbf6480456bc459b05fc76.jpg

Interesting side note the Honda S2000 is one of the only large Honda motors to use a different oil filter. If you get a oil filter for a civic, accord, crx , crv ridge line or anything else you can think of its the same size screw on and same bypass pressure. If you actually get the one specific to the NC700X it's just a little shorter but there is plenty of room for the regular, larger one.
All that info is for engine oil filter I don't have the DCT so I know nothing about the clutch filter.

Last edited:
Oil Filter, DCT Filter, DCT Filter Gasket and drain and fill oil took me a whole 15 minutes. I work on my own Honda Cars. So, this one was a piece of cake. I also have all of the tools. A honda oil filter wrench that fits the honda filters is a must. Maybe they adjusted your chain tension and lubed it as well? That can take longer than the oil change process. Checking all the bolts and doing a visual inspection is a piece of cake. That's total BS that they wouldn't carry the $10 DCT filter. Make sure they don't charge you anything to put it on or just get the filter and do it yourself.

Well to update. Almost did not go back to the dealer. But decided to go and see what happened. They open at 0900, i got there around 0915. They had the DCT filter and O-Ring. They got me into the shop
pretty quick. I watched what they did and saw them change out the filter. Not much oil leaked out. The DCT filter sure is tiny. The old filter looked pretty clean. I was back on the road by 1000.

i agree doing the work yourself is the only way to know the job is done and done right. They is IF you have the knowledge, skills, tools and space to do the work. So for me these days i am stuck paying others to
do the work. Not sure if i will go back to my dealer or to a different one.

Good to hear. As long as they treat you well and you don't have tools/confidence, going to the dealer is fine. I wouldn't touch my BMW K1200GT. Was scared to death of that beast of an engine and all of the electronics that go with it. So, I relied on the dealer for that bike.

My dealer also forgot. the DCT is not a popular model in this area, so they dont stock any of the extras (like the brake pads for the parking brake.) I have to tell them to remember to order the DCT filter. At least they are not charging you (mine didnt charge me either). On another note, they are redoing a recall (instrument cluster) because they put the one for the manual version on my DCT. The main difference are the lights for the ABS and Parking Brake.

Back