• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First long ride on the NC, impressions & lessons learned

• What a machine?!? I found myself repeating that over and over. It's hideously underpowered on the interstate, but I don't care. I will run 85 all day long and I'd rather not be on the interstate anyway.
  • Fuel mileage can vary tremendously. I ranged 44mpg (running 85mph into a headwind) to 77 mpg (national forest dirt roads at 30 mph).
  • Russell daylong seats are worth every penny. They just are. I've never had anything remotely close. The only discomfort I had from the seat is from the edge of the seat on my thighs. Even that was only after spending the whole day in the saddle. If the pegs were a tad higher, or if I install some crash bars & highway pegs, that issue would go away.
  • Givi outback bags are heavy, but they work nicely.
  • BIRDS! Before this trip, I'd hit one bird on a motorcycle. I hit four in four days on this trip. One was a grouse. Honestly, it has me a little freaked out. Maybe killer dolphins eat birds instead of fish?
  • Deer and antelope are scary. Nevermind elk, wild horses, cows and buffalo. Denali spot lights aimed in the ditches gave me a little early warning.
  • A small compartment that I could access without turning off the bike would be nice.
  • Black helmets are hot. My next one will be white.
  • The Sena 20S is awesome. Up to about 60 mph, my wife can't even tell I'm on the bike when I call her. I can listen to music all day long on one charge.
  • Avon trailriders are great highway tires, ok for dirt roads, crap for sand. After 4,000 miles, there is a slight flat spot in the middle of the back tire. I can hardly tell the front has even been on the road.
  • Sand is treacherous. I nearly lost it on two different occasions in a couple of inches of loose sand. I was going 30 mph one of those times. Very sketchy.
  • I wish I had a cruise control. The Omni cruise is a clever device that is WAY better than nothing, but it needs frequent adjustment.
  • It's a long freakin' way to Fargo North Dakota. Also, there's not much to see for hundreds of miles on the way there. The farmland is beautiful, but after 12 hours of cornfields, you're ready to see something else.
  • There's a reason why Sturgis is such a big deal. Riding in the black hills is incredible. Do not miss Iron Mountain Rd if you go to Mt Rushmore. It's motorcycling Nirvana. Wind Caves NP is pretty fun as well.
  • If you're looking for an out-of-the-way place to go camping, Medicine Rock State Park in Montana should be on your list. Big sky, indeed.
  • If you're going riding in the national forest, get a forest service map and take a compass. Google maps doesn't work all that well without data.
  • Keep the chain lubed. I heard a weird popping sound at low speed on day 4, finally figured out it was the chain.
  • Take clear safety glasses. I wear sunglasses and keep the visor open to cool off my face. Sometimes it's hot at night and the sunglasses are too dark.
  • Get a hondabikepro rear rack with a fuel filler hole in it. It was a minor inconvenience having to move my cooler at every gas stop, but still an inconvenience.

I have found it lacking pickup on the interstate as well, but it will do a hundred, eventually. By the way, those side cases have a speed and weight limit that I've always ignored without issue.

I've had the worst mileage with no name gas (ethanol, not top tier), 80mph freeway into the wind with all three boxes loaded and DCT and I think it was 54 mpg or similar. I've been able to get 72 mpg @ 55mph with a freaky lubed chain. I carry the givi gas cans on the back of the trekker, which make excellent campfire starters when it's wet or raining...

For using your phone as a GPS it's totally doable in the boonies with no signals. I use MotionX GPS app and preload the map tiles of the area. It won't give you turn by turn directions, but you can make tracks or import tracks. Wire up USB charger to the handle bars, get a somewhat waterproof iPhone 7 and shove it in a baggie on a Ram mount and good to go.

The stock chain and tires suck. I put a new ThreeD Gold 1200cc chain on 3,000 miles ago and have not had to adjust slack or alignment since. Always 35mm slack and checked with a laser tool. It's worth it just to not have to mess with the breaker bar, torque wrench and little adjuster nuts all the time.

I use one of those Kaoko cruise controls which works with the Barkbuster handguards. I don't use it much lately other than to engage it while I use my right hand to poke at the phone, scratch my nose or adjust a zipper etc..,

I wear a white Shoei Neotec with the built in SENA 10U. The Sena has no bits on the outside to make noise or bash around in the frunk. The sun visor and flip up front is amazing, plus drivers can see white better. (And some will think COP! and maybe stop screwing around if your bike is the right color/shape with the boxes... mine is. :))

On the rear seat I strap a waterproof storm bag with Rok straps. Refueling is just undoing two buckles and flipping the bag forward or back... no need to remove it completely.

I am headed up to the Central ADV rally tomorrow and got everything packed in three outback cases. :)

aP9wnEd5VMU3iNxp6

I had the same feeling. After tons of research I'm convinced it will. Numerous ride reports on NC's up to Alaska, back down to the east coast. Mountain rides with more well k own adventure bikes, and following a guy going west coat to easy coast and back with absolutely zero issues at all. I'm convinced the right tires and a skid plate, this bike can take you most places you would expect it to go, and more. Happy riding.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I should have been more specific. I have no doubts with the bike mechanically, it's the ergonomics, and seat I struggle with. I'm working on it though. I have risers on the way, and I'll go from there. Seat is a Shad, and it's just Ok. Might work with the risers, might not. We'll see.

I should have been more specific. I have no doubts with the bike mechanically, it's the ergonomics, and seat I struggle with. I'm working on it though. I have risers on the way, and I'll go from there. Seat is a Shad, and it's just Ok. Might work with the risers, might not. We'll see.
Gotcha! I have an airhawk R and it's great. Doing the risers as well and a 2" fork extension.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back