• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First gear clunk question

I don't have a point of reference on another motorcycle as this is my first, but i will say that the "clunk" is kind of reassuring to me...if not kind of cool! I guess i'm alittle strange...LOL! Besides, it really only "clunks" when at a stop, I don't even notice it when downshifting.

I don't have a point of reference on another motorcycle as this is my first, but i will say that the "clunk" is kind of reassuring to me...if not kind of cool! I guess i'm alittle strange...LOL! Besides, it really only "clunks" when at a stop, I don't even notice it when downshifting.

Of course your strange. by riding a motorcycle you automaticaly label yourself as strange to the vast majority of the population

I may have posted this already but unless starting out from a cold start stop in neutral I slip into 1st gear just as I am decelerating those last 1-2 mph to zero mph. It slips into 1st with no noise.

CLANK!

ok it bothered me a leeetle up to now (only first gear) - it seems to be part of the charm, but as I was reading this I realised something...

In 2500+kms I have never had one single "false neutral" in between gears !!! Elizabeth! Hit me with a two week old salmon, I haven't even realised this until now.

All previous bikes had that evil thing hiding somewhere, striking when you least expect it.

can I hear a whoohaaaarrr?

I have never heard of keeping a bike or car in gear at a set of lights. Wouldn't that burn out the clutch? I just put it in neutral, never heard of it...not saying you are wrong, just something I wouldn't do..

I have never heard of keeping a bike or car in gear at a set of lights. Wouldn't that burn out the clutch? I just put it in neutral, never heard of it...not saying you are wrong, just something I wouldn't do..

From previous posts on here it would appear that Americans are taught to sit at the lights in gear

From previous posts on here it would appear that Americans are taught to sit at the lights in gear

Correct. We get the scenario of what if you need to move quickly.

Braking to a stop is taught by our motorcycle safety foundation group like so:

Using all your limbs, apply rear brake, apply front brake. At the same time pull in the clutch level, and slam the gears to 1st.

They say this makes you ready for the light when it turns green.

But with my DCT. I just brake normally.

I read this post ('s ) before I bought my X and was worried about it.Now that I have it I find it clunks less than my other 2 bikes.My DL was so loud that people on the sidewalk would turn to see what it was.My GS850 will damn nere jump off the ground when you put it first !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suzuki in most case's have the smoothes gear box's.
I've had Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki and they all clunk into 1st gear.
its not a problem....
what can cause severe clunking..is chain not correctly adjusted, clutch not adjusted correctly or lack of oil in the gear box yes I have heard of this to.
or probably plain knackered bike which in your case this doesn't apply.

It seems to me that either UK drivers are more aware and considerate of motorcycles than American drivers, or American motorcycle riding trainers are more paranoid than UK trainers. :)

Suzuki in most case's have the smoothes gear box's.
I've had Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki and they all clunk into 1st gear.
its not a problem....
what can cause severe clunking..is chain not correctly adjusted, clutch not adjusted correctly or lack of oil in the gear box yes I have heard of this to.
or probably plain knackered bike which in your case this doesn't apply.

All good points to which I will add......keep the chain well lubed also. A tight dry chain will always give a notchy gearchange.

It seems to me that either UK drivers are more aware and considerate of motorcycles than American drivers, or American motorcycle riding trainers are more paranoid than UK trainers. :)

don't kid yourself.there is case's every day sorry didn't see you mate
all car drivers should have motorcycle awareness in their car test. also to many foreign driver's over here .
if involve in a accident they soon buggered off back to their own country thus avoiding prosecution.
I blame these car hire firms because in these case's its always involve hired car's with foreign drivers who haven't a clue about our highway codes.

Just finished reading a magazine article by a British guy who hired a HD 883 Sportster to ride from LA to New York. He writes that he he considers US driversto have far more concern for the safety of riders than those in the UK do

Just finished reading a magazine article by a British guy who hired a HD 883 Sportster to ride from LA to New York. He writes that he he considers US driversto have far more concern for the safety of riders than those in the UK do

That memo appearantly hasn't made it to Houston, Texas yet!
Back on subject...you don't know first gear clunk like Harley knows first gear clunk! It's not such a bad thing!

I do this in my car and on my bike. My cars clutch has about 100,000 miles on it now and it's still engaging just fine. Everybody's in a hurry over here. If your first at the light and it turns green and you are just then putting your car/bike in gear to go the people behind you all driving automatics are already on the gas up your a$$! So I'm always in gear with the clutch in ready to go at intersections. I don't like vehicles (or anything else for that matter) up my rear!

I think it's not just from neutral to first gear. At times it's quiet but most of the times it clunks and clanks at every gear during up shift or downshift. This has got to be the clunkiest gearbox I have ever owned.

I think it's not just from neutral to first gear. At times it's quiet but most of the times it clunks and clanks at every gear during up shift or downshift. This has got to be the clunkiest gearbox I have ever owned.

I think you may have a problem,I just told my wife yesterday that the NC has the smoothest transmission I have ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back