• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First gear clunk question

My NCX clunks also going into first from neutral but this is ok with me. Try riding a Harley!!! Please do not change your riding habits!! What I have noticed and do not like is, I do put it in first gear with authority only to hear the clunk but still find myself in neutral sometimes. It has happened to me too many times and I stopped by my local dealer today and the service manager checked it out. He said that it could be popping back in neutral because I was slamming it into first too hard. So, I tried to take it easy shifting down into first from neutral and it still happening. Has anyone else experienced this occurrence?

My NCX clunks also going into first from neutral but this is ok with me. Try riding a Harley!!! Please do not change your riding habits!! What I have noticed and do not like is, I do put it in first gear with authority only to hear the clunk but still find myself in neutral sometimes. It has happened to me too many times and I stopped by my local dealer today and the service manager checked it out. He said that it could be popping back in neutral because I was slamming it into first too hard. So, I tried to take it easy shifting down into first from neutral and it still happening. Has anyone else experienced this occurrence?

If I'm lazy with my upshifts, I've been caught a couple of times where I go to grab the next gear and it's not there. For instance, taking off from a stop, shift into 2nd with not quite enough oomph (or maybe not a far enough up?), and when I go to shift into 3rd, the shifter won't engage the next gear. If I let out the clutch a bit, just enough to create a little drag, it'll then let me take the next gear.

No big deal if I'm just puttering around, but it gets my attention quick if I'm trying to merge into traffic. Once it has actually popped out of 1st back into neutral, about halfway through an four way intersection, which was strange as well.

It's a little strange and off-putting, but I think it's mostly my fault as I've never had it happen when I was paying attention closely to how I was shifting, and it is happening less now that I'm trying to modify my behavior. That said, I've never had anything like that happen on any other bike I've owned, which has been quite a few makes and models...

trey

Last edited:
If I'm lazy with my upshifts, I've been caught a couple of times where I go to grab the next gear and it's not there. For instance, taking off from a stop, shift into 2nd with not quite enough oomph (or maybe not a far enough up?), and when I go to shift into 3rd, the shifter won't engage the next gear. If I let out the clutch a bit, just enough to create a little drag, it'll then let me take the next gear.

No big deal if I'm just puttering around, but it gets my attention quick if I'm trying to merge into traffic. Once it has actually popped out of 1st back into neutral, about halfway through an four way intersection, which was strange as well.

It's a little strange and off-putting, but I think it's mostly my fault as I've never had it happen when I was paying attention closely to how I was shifting, and it is happening less now that I'm trying to modify my behavior. That said, I've never had anything like that happen on any other bike I've owned, which has been quite a few makes and models...

trey

Just a reminder that the shifter lever is adjustable and should be set to match your boots and riding posture. With the lever set right, missed up shifts should be very infrequent.

Greg

The clunks are caused by poor use of the clutch. Except for first gear. 80 percent of people shift the transmission before the clutch is 100 percent disengaged. Pull the clutch to the grip wait a 1/2 second then shift.

Just a reminder that the shifter lever is adjustable and should be set to match your boots and riding posture. With the lever set right, missed up shifts should be very infrequent.

You know, when you said this, I just dismissed it as I had already fiddled with adjusting the lever when I first got the bike. But the other day, I turned it a few more degrees down and I don't think I've missed another shift since.

So thanks! Either my riding style or the transmission is more sensitive to proper shifter placement on this bike.

trey

I can say that, at least so far, shifting into 1st from neutral on Wiley is not nearly so loud as it was on Bumblebee (my CBR600). Now, that bike had 27,000 miles on it and appeared to me to have been laid down pretty hard at least once. Nevertheless, it ran flawlessly. The tranny was just kinda clunky. Not so bad as various Harleys (and possibly other cruisers as well; I'm not great on my cruiser identification except when they have "HARLEY DAVIDSON" written in metal on the backrest :) ) I've been near at stoplights, but still much more noticeable than on Wiley.

*NOTE: My kids have reminded me that it's "Wile E." but I prefer to just write Wiley. :)

Love the sarcasm! yah at my motorcycle school you didnt pass if the bike was in neutral when you came to a complete stop.

I did have to do this once, but only because I was having battery problems and stalled the bike, I'm sure I got a look or two. Luckily I was on a hill so once I got it rolling I hopped on and drift started it.

The clunks are caused by poor use of the clutch. Except for first gear. 80 percent of people shift the transmission before the clutch is 100 percent disengaged. Pull the clutch to the grip wait a 1/2 second then shift.

Good advice. Tried something similar to this today and all the shifts (not just the ones into first) were a lot smoother.

Last edited:
As already mentioned, the computer controls the idle speed and you can't change it. I agree the clunk is annoying, but it's no bother for me because I never use neutral. I never shift the bike from neutral to first with the engine running. The bike is always started in first gear. At traffic lights I always keep the bike in gear.

Greg

I must admit that's something I never do. If I sit at lights I go straight into neutral.

In reply to the original poster - Most bikes clunk into 1st gear anyway, so basically that's the way it is.

It would appear that Americans tend to stop in gear whilst Brits stop in neutral Strange!

We have the Motorcycle Safety Foundation to somewhat standardize our thinking.

From page 30 of the Basic Rider Course manual...

"When stopped, waiting to turn or for a light to change, check behind you occasionally for vehicles approaching. Flash the brake light as someone approaches from the rear. Have an escape plan and remain in 1st gear. When pulling out into an intersection, wait a second or two in case someone crosses after their light changes to red."

Chunk!! Who's on First?

About this 1st gear clunk business...
The NC700X DCT has been exhibiting similar characteristics since day one. Fire the beast up, and you're greeted by the green N plus a few other tidbits on the display. Pop that D/S/N button, and chunk, you're in first gear! I'm wondering how much (if any) improvement or relief the 'regulars' can get with tweaking, if any tweaking is possible. The 700 seems pretty consistent on many fronts...

Furthermore, most States train student drivers that a motorist (cars I'm talking about now) should remain in gear with their foot on the brake while stopped waiting for traffic. In fact, at least some states (used to?) require it. I don't know about all, of course.

I've been severely rear-ended before, and one of the first things the investigating officer asked me was whether my car was still in gear. Had it not been, I may not have been able to get any repair money from the offending motorist's insurance company for the nearly-destroyed car, nor would my girlfriend have been able to get medical reimbursement for her injuries from them. In fact, she may have had to sue _me_ to get reimbursed. Furthermore, the car in front of me, into whom I was bashed solidly, may have had to sue me instead of skipping over and going directly to the guy who didn't stop and caused the whole things. Happily, I was driving an automatic, so I was in gear and my foot was on the brake.

It appears we may have different legal landscapes, besides different training systems?

About this 1st gear clunk business...
The NC700X DCT has been exhibiting similar characteristics since day one. Fire the beast up, and you're greeted by the green N plus a few other tidbits on the display. Pop that D/S/N button, and chunk, you're in first gear! I'm wondering how much (if any) improvement or relief the 'regulars' can get with tweaking, if any tweaking is possible. The 700 seems pretty consistent on many fronts...

Thinking back, I don't know if I have ever had a bike with a wet multi-disc clutch that went quietly into gear. Some snicked, others clunked, and my Husqvarna TE-610 banged, but they all made some kind of complaint. The only non-clunking (...snicking, banging) motorcycles I have owned (speaking only for neutral to first while stopped) were the BMW's with dry single plate clutches. The inertia, small clearances when disengaged, and viscous coupling through the oil combined in the wet clutches to create the first gear clunk. But, here is the silver lining: With the BMW's because nothing was trying to spin, you could often not get the transmission to drop into first without letting out a bit on the clutch with down pressure on the shifter because the splines were not aligned. I have never had to do this with a wet clutch because the plates were always trying to spin a bit.

I say: beyond assuring that the clutch is properly adjusted and the correct oil is being used, that a "fix" is both unnecessary and undesirable.

Furthermore, most States train student drivers that a motorist (cars I'm talking about now) should remain in gear with their foot on the brake while stopped waiting for traffic. In fact, at least some states (used to?) require it. I don't know about all, of course.

It appears we may have different legal landscapes, besides different training systems?

Yes very true.
Most cars in the UK are manual as most people find autos rather uninvolivng to drive and use more fuel.
I would never ever leave my car or bike in gear at junction unless it is an auto. It's different for autos as once you put it in Drive, you leave it there... That's also how I ride my DCT, but if I had a manual bike it would be out of gear in a jiffy.

Back