• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Extreme Farkling - Flat Luggage Rack

Beemerphile

#1 Elite
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought the Givi V35's I didn't get a rear rack because I dislike topcases. I hadn't yet figured out how I was going to install a flat plate rack suitable for camping gear or soft luggage like a Kriega, MotoFizz, or similar. As it turns out, the mounting arms for the top case are ideal for mounting a flat rack. You do not need the Givi base, just the sidearms (P/N PLX-1111 for the V35 or PL1111 for the other Monokey cases. I mounted a Caribou flat rack on the PLX-1111. The model I used was the DL1000CP designed to fit a Suzuki V-Strom DL1000. Oh heck, let's make it easy...

Pelican Based Adventure Touring Motorcycle Luggage - BMW, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Triumph, KTM, Yamaha & More

Some pics...

DSC00575.jpgDSC00576.jpg

Further planned is the installation of a Whelen LED Brake/Tail/Turn light underneath the plate and possibly some LED side markers under the left and right sides.

Honda called today and said my DCT has finally arrived and should be ready for pick up tomorrow. They said my top box is on back order. It will have the Honda luggage rack installed.

Will this Caribou flat plate (V-Strom DL1000 Rear Cargo Plate) be appropriate to bolt directly to the Honda luggage rack? (By myself, a non-mechanic who doesn't have custom fabrication abilities?) And then attach the matching Caribou top box to the flat plate?

I have not seen the Honda Rack, so I cannot advise. The Caribou is a flat plate and it needs four mounting points in the same plane. If the Honda tack provides this, it should work with only the possible need to drill the mounting holes in the plate. If the rack has curvature to it's top surface, the adaptation would be more difficult. I am sure that Caribou can fit one of their cases to the Caribou rack, but they seem to be only Pelican cases available for les money elsewhere - unless you are locked in to Caribou's "no drill" solution.

Thanks to you both. It's hard for me to understand why a luggage rack to mounting hardware to top box is as complex as it seems. I appreciate you bearing with questions. I might have quite a few more!

And as I suspected, my DCT was not ready today after all. They said the mechanic was having trouble installing the extra electrical items necessary for the heated grips and 12 volt socket. It seems to be a complex challenge even for the pros!

Although I had a top case on the Multistrada, I'm not a fan of them either and mounted this universal rack from Krauser purchased from Twistedthrottle.com
Krauser Rack.jpg

Although I had a top case on the Multistrada, I'm not a fan of them either and mounted this universal rack from Krauser purchased from Twistedthrottle.com
View attachment 439

That looks nice. I like it better than the one I selected. I searched for quite a while, and I am a frequent customer of Twisted Throttle, but I didn't see it. Any way, the Caribou rack looks like it will work fine as well.

Last edited:
Thanks to you both. It's hard for me to understand why a luggage rack to mounting hardware to top box is as complex as it seems. I appreciate you bearing with questions. I might have quite a few more!

And as I suspected, my DCT was not ready today after all. They said the mechanic was having trouble installing the extra electrical items necessary for the heated grips and 12 volt socket. It seems to be a complex challenge even for the pros!

That part is a duck soup. Plug in a relay and a fuse. Pull the option connector out of its resting place on the bottom of the luggage box, plug in the option connector, plug in the options. Must be something else to it.

Last edited:
Is it the aerodynamics and/or weight up high that you don't like about top boxes?

1) Weight up high / aft center of gravity.
2) Lack of flexibility about what shapes it will carry - esp. length.
3) I camp a lot and like a place to carry camping gear.
4) Looks like it ought to say "Greyhound" on it - visually overpowering.

No bones to pick with the many people who like them. That's why they sell so well. Just not for me.

I use my Honda top box when camping, I carry my light stuff in there, things I like to get to fast without having to open a dry bag or saddlebag. Carry all the heavy gear in saddlebags. Dry bag with my sleeping bag and other soft items make for a nice backrest between top box and my tired old back. Sure works good for me. Therma rest and tent poles fit nice between Honda rack and tailight sideways over the signal lights, the longest items I usually carry, works slick.

Attachments

• Fall Bike Trip 003.jpg
    Fall Bike Trip 003.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 542
I use my Honda top box when camping, I carry my light stuff in there, things I like to get to fast without having to open a dry bag or saddlebag. Carry all the heavy gear in saddlebags. Dry bag with my sleeping bag and other soft items make for a nice backrest between top box and my tired old back. Sure works good for me. Therma rest and tent poles fit nice between Honda rack and tailight sideways over the signal lights, the longest items I usually carry, works slick.

Your picture shows newbies exactly why we should always have a mainstand for this bike. When parking in undulating terrain, a mainstand is way safer than the side stand.
:D
441d1347770332-extreme-farkling-flat-luggage-rack-fall-bike-trip-003.jpg

Continuing the rear flat rack project, I mounted three Whelen strip lights to the bottom of it as well as a white light which will illuminate the relocated license plate. The original brake/tail/turn lighting has been removed.

DSC00593.jpg

Here is is in position and lighted. The license plate has been relocated upwards into the area formerly occupied by the taillight. There will be a tool tube mounted under the rack to carry tire and bike repair items. There will be an additional short LED tail/brake strip light under the license plate.

DSC00600.jpg

Below that will be a Yosemite Sam "Back Off" mud flap. I had one of these on my BMW in 1977 and found another on eBay that was new old stock from 1978...

00sam.jpg

Last edited:
I remember those flaps being very popular with wing owners way back when I had mine. Some actually had lights in them

Wing owners have lights on their lights. I had the first Gold Wing in 1975. By serial number, it was the 183rd GW in the United States. I sold it and bought a BMW R100RS in 1977. I decided that although the engine technology was great, the bike was no fun to ride.

I love it, specially the mud flap, LOL. Here some people have something similar that reads "If you're reading this, it's because you're too near to my back, stupid!"

What are those red side lights for?

In the other hand, if my memory serves me well, in the States cars have red turn signals, in fact it seems to be the same brake light. But now I realice bike's turn signals are similar to european's bikes? I mean, yellow in color and separate from the brake light. Am I right?

What are those red side lights for?

Just overdone side marker lights. They run tail and turn signal duty. I find the major shortcoming of most LED's is the peripheral (off-center) lighting ability, so I add these to provide side visibility for multi-lane roads.

In the other hand, if my memory serves me well, in the States cars have red turn signals, in fact it seems to be the same brake light. But now I realice bike's turn signals are similar to european's bikes? I mean, yellow in color and separate from the brake light. Am I right?

Yes. The side lights are all red with high and low brightness - intended for tail / brake duty. I use them as side marker lights with tail / turn duty. The rear facing (main) light has a red center with high and low brightness for tail / brake duty and amber segments on each side for turn signals. My camera subdues the lighting but it is quite bright in the high brightness mode. There will be no trouble seeing it as these are designed primarily for use on public safety vehicles such as ambulance and fire equipment.

One of the "haters" on the ADV board announced smugly that the back end of the NC looked like a dung beetle. I am not sure what one of those is, but it doesn't sound very glamorous. I think that the bike designers do go a bit far on most of them in stringing things down the rear fender like space debris, leading to the creation of a new industry making "tail tidy's". Why cannot the tail come already tidy?

"And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out" Matthew 18:9...
(looks better, I think, on the end table in my shop)

DSC00630.jpg

That looks nice. I like it better than the one I selected. I searched for quite a while, and I am a frequent customer of Twisted Throttle, but I didn't see it. Any way, the Caribou rack looks like it will work fine as well.

I checked too. I guess they discontinued them but found it here 4999-001-201 Krauser Widening Aluminum Plate

I like where you mounted the lights under the flat rack as long as whatever you carry on the flat rack doesn't obscure them.

Back