• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Easiest way to lift the bike?

preyj

Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to install lowering links on my NC. I do not have a center stand, what is the easiest way to lift the bike to work on this?

Or should I put on a center stand and do the lowering link - but will the center stand still be functional with a lowered bike?

Thanks

The way i did it on my 'busa was a rear/swingarm stand then a small wind up trolley jack which i would position under the rear around the suspension area with a small piece of timber then wind it up just enough to take the load off the rear suspension but it still sits in the rear stand. You know you have it right because the standard links (which you loosen first) will come straight off the bolts fairly easily. Do it on flat ground or have a friend hold the bike. The centrestand will still work but because its closer to the ground, it will take more effort to roll it forward and then yank it back up. Also your chain will need to be rechecked and don't forget that when cornering aggressively, your pegs are now closer to the ground and may scrape and in extreme situations, may unload the rear tyre and cause a low-side. Mine is stock height and i scrape the pegs every now and then.

Last edited:
Allow me to translate,(kidding) you need a big ol' chunk o' wood and a floor jack. Mr.bigjay used a scissor jack, but when I lifted mine I used a floor jack and a old chunk of 6 x 6 under the tabs for the center-stand. I wasn't trying to removed links or anything but it worked fine just be careful you don't want this thing on top of you, it could mush your tender vittles. I love the Aussies, spent nearly 2 months there and it used to crack me up when someone would say something to me and I would realize I understood every word, just not how they were used in that sentence. I met several new friends there and we would bust a gut laughing over a beer discussing our "common" language.

Last edited:
A couple of days ago, while at the dealer for the chain recall, I saw how they lift another NCX not equiped with the center stand. They did it from the bottom rear link, and it was an easy job. But as far as what you want is precisely to fit a lowering links, I guess this method will not work for you.

So I think you have two options:

1. Obvious: get a center stand. It does its job very often, and doing the chain maintenance without it is a mess

2. If you can have a couple of friends helping you, I will tryi it that way:

-Have you friends supporting the bike vertically.
-Lossen both links
-Dismount the left link (the one close to the side stand)
-Lift the rear wheel by pushing the bike from the right side so it touchs the ground only in the front wheel and in the side stand. Have your friends supporting the bike that way
-Dismount the right link and fit the new lowering link (right side). Tighten slightly
-Have the bike again vertically.
-Fit the new left link.
-Tighten both new links.

Does it makes sense with my terrible english?

HTH

Back