• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dunlop

Some folks have gotten better than 7k on a Dunlop. But the Metzler Z8 on my bike was showing steel at 6.8k. Good Luck!

Hmm. Tough call, from the few reviews I just googled. It seems to be more of a sticky, track type tire, rather than a touring oriented one though, so it's possible it might not last 7K miles.

I've found barring some notable well known exceptions, the average rider, with an average tire, can get wildly different mileage out of tires.

I got 12,000 miles out of my rear Metzeler Z6 Interact on my F800ST, when some other guys were reporting theirs dead within 3K miles. It's hard to accurately make any kind of prediction, when it's possible to have a 9,000 mile +/- "your mileage may vary" thing! :eek:

So I guess I can't worry about it , it was the only thing I could get. Last year to Alaska I had a brand new road 4 the roads chewed it up got just over 10,000 out of it. The Conti just took off had over 8,000. I guess I am signed into tap talk under a different name obrokta1 but this is whatnext resting a day in Anchorage.

So I guess I can't worry about it , it was the only thing I could get. Last year to Alaska I had a brand new road 4 the roads chewed it up got just over 10,000 out of it. The Conti just took off had over 8,000. I guess I am signed into tap talk under a different name obrokta1 but this is whatnext resting a day in Anchorage.

It is a stretch for me to get 8,000 on a rear PR4. Like L.B.S. said, a lot of variability rider to rider.

I am trying out a set of Dunlop Trailsmarts on my Triumph currently. So far, I like how they handle on that bike. I will keep y'all posted in due course on wear etc.

I will be watching anxiously to hear your thoughts regarding drivability, lifespan, road noise, on- and off-road capabilities.
>T

Little wrap up on the Dunlop, lasted 4 days before a something put a large hole in it I got it plugged with several sticky strings. It got me 23 miles to Whitehorse.

I am trying out a set of Dunlop Trailsmarts on my Triumph currently. So far, I like how they handle on that bike. I will keep y'all posted in due course on wear etc.

I did a 1200km trip on these tyres during the past 4 days. They were used mostly in backroad situations and some hard pack trails. Very wet main roads were also encountered as were dry. These are excellent tyres (on the Triumph) in all conditions. They never put a foot wrong during the entire trip and were very confidence inspiring. The only aspect now to be still ascertained is how well they wear. I will continue to use them on that bike and will possibly consider them for the NC also if they are available in the correct size.

Just a further follow on with regard to these tyres. I am more convinced than ever that they are excellent tyres. I now have 3000kms on them. Judging by the wear pattern on the rear I would expect to get in the region of 7000kms from them. That is ok by me as the side grip both in the wet and dry, two up or solo, is excellent. As previously mentioned I have yet to try them on the NC and am aware that what might suit one bike may not suit another.

I just replaced my Dunlop Roadmsart II rear yesterday. All highway riding at 42 psi I managed to get 16,000 out of it. I replaced it with a Pilot Road 4. If the 4's don't get me better mileage I'm going back to these Roadsmart II's. Excellent traction in all conditions, quiet and better looking than the Road 4's.

MIG.... THAT'S good news. I have a set of RSII's in the shop right now to replace the Dunlop trailsmarts that came stock on my bike. It looks like I will get about 6k miles out of the originals but glad to hear that the RS tires treated you well.
>T

Finally got them installed..

20151019_133954.jpg

20151019_133936.jpg

Last edited:
Skookum and I have about 1,000 miles on the Roadsmart II's. Handling is great on wet and dry. Noise is perfectly acceptable. The only question now will be how long they last. If I can get what Angel did, I will be thrilled.
>T

I have just purchased a set of Shinkos for my bike. Looks like the original rear tire will make about 9 to 10K. More like 9K. Front is still strong. Have never used Shinkos so this will be first try. I do mostly pavement with some gravel. Not enough gravel roads around here to go knobby tires.

Sooooo... apparently I'm late to the party here... and sorry to hijack this thread...

I have a trip coming up in 2 months... driving across the country and back (Detroit to Denver/back). Needed some new tires installed before I depart so foolishly, and before researching, I found what I thought was a sweet deal on a set of dealer take-offs... turns out they're the Dunlop Trailmax that everyone is talking about... and not in a good way.

But I already purchased the set of these things and, from what I'm reading, I'm not sure these things will even get me through my trip.

Should I bite the bullet and return them (paying return shipping and possible restocking fee) and get something else, or should I risk it and have them installed and go for the trip with them on?

You might want to get some other tires for the trip, and just use those when you're going to be riding more local stuff after the better tires finally wear out.

You might want to get some other tires for the trip, and just use those when you're going to be riding more local stuff after the better tires finally wear out.

I'm going back and forth about this. I really don't have the extra $$ to get another set of tires. Right now, I have the OEM Metzler's on there with about 8,400 miles on the bike. Honestly, they don't really look that bad. I'm a very non-aggressive rider, so I think that's helped them last. I think I'm either going to just risk it and go with the OEM ones I have on there and that should have them basically shot by the time I get back, or just say **** it and have the Dunlops installed and go for it.

I want to get a few other accessories before the trip, so I'm going to risk it one way or the other. I'll report on the outcome.

Your mileage may vary, but I went through two Metzeler Z8 rear tires. They both went from looking "OK" at 8000 miles, to having the cord showing down the middle before 9000 miles. There's not much rubber thickness down the middle, where a non agressive rider might spend a lot of time.

Back