• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

does this seem a little off.

There is another side to this, wile the great part of what is written in the owners manual and even workshop manual is correct
it as been translated from Japanese by someone that likely does not know what they are writing about had a Suzy with a snapped
oil filter bolt the owner had tried to tighten it to 70 lb-ft as it says in the workshop manual, it should be 7 lb-ft that's the difference
between 2 fingers and both hands and a 3 ft long bar so don't go blindly by what's in the book if it seems wrong stop n think about it.

...don't go blindly by what's in the book if it seems wrong stop n think about it.

Agree. I have lots of error corrections I've made to my older manuals. I don't have any Hayne's manuals, for instance, that did not need correction. We are all still learning this one. Bolt torques can be checked against standard tables of torque by fastener size to see if they are reasonable - bearing in mind that socket bolts, cap bolts, bolts of different strengths and into different threaded receivers can be quite different. 70 ft-lb is not far off the lug bolt of a car. Someone should had thought that one through. More difficult is when the factory has made a technical error (that is close) rather than a big transcription error. BMW had several of those that persisted for years involving bearing preload on wheel bearings. Then everyone suffers the error until someone figures it out.

So far, I haven't found the first dreadful error in the NC service manual.

ETA: I would bet that 20 times as many maintenance problems are created by too much torque than by too little. I preach torque wrenches (and people get tired of it). I just did a front wheel change and noticed how easily the torque wrench clicked at 16 ft-lb for the pinch bolt and 22 ft-lb for the caliper bolts. There is no way that a person would have stopped at those torques if they were just "making sure it was tight". In both cases, the bolts were into aluminum threads

Last edited:
Back