• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dealer claims it has a broken timing chain. I doubt it.

Alright everyone, I would love some feedback on this.

I received the replacement cam chain and tensioner on eBay (used) and installed them on the bike. Then I zipped everything up enough to start it up. It now starts and runs very normally. No check engine light, no erratic idle. Revs up no problem. My initial thought was "success"! However, I have one concern.

There is a noise coming from the engine that seems a little loud and unusual. I have the luxury of comparing it side-by-side with my NC that I've had for several years with no issues. Before I continue to my potential theory, please watch the video of my good bike running compared with the bike in question:

Good bike -

Project bike -
Please don't be alarmed by the red gasket maker around the clutch cover. I just used a little bit to hold the gasket in place while bolting the cover on. Just need to clean up my mess.

My initial thought is that if there was still an issue with the cam chain or tensioner then I would expect the sound to be more constant and less of a pulse. Or maybe the chain is just slapping at a certain frequency? Anyway, rewinding to before I started up the bike, I did a quick valve adjustment and observed that just about every single valve clearance was a hair too tight, so I backed them up to spec. Now I'm wondering if that "tick-tick-tick" is a valve or two that I adjusted to have too much clearance.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The more I sit and stew about it the more I'm thinking that I botched the valve adjustment. I think I'll go back in and check things out.

Yep, spot on @davidc83. My method of using the feeler gauge was very poor the first time around. I took the extra time to make sure each clearance was properly adjusted and now it's running perfectly!

That's a wrap, folks! A new cam chain and cam chain tensioner have fixed up this poor NC to good as new.

Thank you all so much for helping me along the way!

Last edited:
Back