• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Danmoto not shipping to California

I ordered a Jisu exhaust the other day from DanMoto and promptly found this thread. Bummed out I emailed them saying basically, I just found out you don't ship to CA, you can ship it instead to this address in CO. Their response:

"Hello Andrew,

we ship to anywhere...Why should we not ship to California?"

I responded by mentioning the CARB compliance thing and we'll see what they say.

Actually guys, California only passed a law which basically mimics the federal law. The federal law (section 4904a of the Noise Control Act) states the EPA emission sticker must be stamped onto the exhaust. The passed the law to make it easier to enforce in California. Other states are contemplating it (Michigan, New York are two who have been considering the law-they are watching Cali).
The AMA is trying to push states to use a sound meter and a certified testing procedure for noise control instead of the stamp on the exhaust. For motorcycles, the federal noise limit is 82 dB. Many after-market exhaust systems are louder than 82 dB, even for the NCs.
Only certain number of motorcyclists like loud exhausts and most non-riders hate loud motorcycles, thus, there are more of them than us (as in motorcyclists) and they have more votes at election time. Sooner or later, all states will have this state-level law and will be enforcing it. A number of states who have yearly inspections may already enforce it.

Lets say you ship it to another state and once you retrieve it you install it on your bike. Won't this prevent you from passing your annual test. It doesn't meet the states requirements therefore you will fail your emissions test.

Your choice but seems like a hassle to have to swap it out every year to pass a test.

California doesn't have SMOG or inspections for motorcycles.

California has SMOG and EMISSION inspection for cars -- but oddly enough? You're allowed to modify the exhaust from the catalytic converter back (I.E., mufflers), without failing inspection.

Actually guys, California only passed a law which basically mimics the federal law. The federal law (section 4904a of the Noise Control Act) states the EPA emission sticker must be stamped onto the exhaust. The passed the law to make it easier to enforce in California. Other states are contemplating it (Michigan, New York are two who have been considering the law-they are watching Cali).
The AMA is trying to push states to use a sound meter and a certified testing procedure for noise control instead of the stamp on the exhaust. For motorcycles, the federal noise limit is 82 dB. Many after-market exhaust systems are louder than 82 dB, even for the NCs.
Only certain number of motorcyclists like loud exhausts and most non-riders hate loud motorcycles, thus, there are more of them than us (as in motorcyclists) and they have more votes at election time. Sooner or later, all states will have this state-level law and will be enforcing it. A number of states who have yearly inspections may already enforce it.
82db at what distance and direction from the end of the pipe?

82db at what distance and direction from the end of the pipe?

It's an unenforced law, other than by preventing manufactures from sending the pipes into the state in the first place. No cop has the equipment to measure the sound, nor are the guidelines on how to test the sound readily available.

There is a catch-all, "modifying exhaust system for the purpose of increasing sound" law, but that's been on the books for years and has nothing do with the law that prevents businesses from selling their wares here.

DB not that hard to measure. Buy a meter at Radio Shack. Distance and direction area huge factors though. It can be as simple as "82db 4' to rear of bike and 4' from ground".

My question is what does the law say so I can defend myself if ever accused If all it says is "82db" then easy defense as it gives no real measurement.

DB not that hard to measure. Buy a meter at Radio Shack. Distance and direction area huge factors though. It can be as simple as "82db 4' to rear of bike and 4' from ground".

My question is what does the law say so I can defend myself if ever accused If all it says is "82db" then easy defense as it gives no real measurement.

Actually there's several iPhone apps for that. Probably Android too. Not sure how accurate they are but I installed one on my iPhone when I was testing the sound suppressors on my FJR exhaust. There's free ones but I splurged and bought the app for 99 cents.

DB being "not that hard to measure" and being measured in a scientifically correct way that is good enough to be considered evidentiary in a court of law are two entirely separate things.

California has a catch-all that was signed into law a few years back that simply says if the exhaust does not have an EPA sticker attached to it, it cannot be used on the street. There's an additional catch-all law in the California Vehicle Code that says modifying your exhaust (not just on a motorcycle) in a manner that makes it INCREASE its sound (from OEM), is a violation of law. So really, there's no need to care about or even try to fight the "but my pipe is only xxDb," because it doesn't matter.

An Officer may, and some have, cited motorcyclists under one of these two laws (usually the former, because it doesn't matter if it's a better than stock pipe, if it's not EPA approved you can't put it on your motorcycle) and they are forced to remove the pipe, place an EPA approved pipe on the motorcycle, and get it signed off. The key to this violation, however, is that a cop cannot pull you over for that violation in and of itself -- they have to be stopping you for a separate crime, like say, speeding, or not stopping at a stop sign, etc, etc.

So, in short, digging through the law books to find the old 1970's definition of what was considered an "illegal pipe" (that was when the law was written based on dB ratings) is not only unnecessary, it's not even effective. The current laws on the books allow the citation to be issued without any dB reading, requirement, nor is a defense of its loudness or not even applicable in one of the two laws.

Moral to the story? Ride normal and you won't have any problems.

Since you live there I know your aware that California's emissions standards are stricter than the federal EPA requirements. Really everyone knows that. My brother used to live in Concord, CA. He was big into muscle cars and always had to be careful when purchasing aftermarket carburetors and such. They typically had to have a statement like this. "50 state legal for all 1980 and earlier GM V8 engines with E.O. number D-215-10".

Danmoto themselves won't ship it to California because it is not 50 state CARB legal.

Read the Warning toward the bottom of the page. You might have already seen it.

WARNING: This product is intended to be used only on racing vehicles on closed courses, and not for use on roads or vehicles otherwise subject to emission control requirements (including non-racing ATVs, Dirt bikes, and UTVs).

ATTENTION CALIFORNIA CUSTOMERS

This item is Not legal for sale or use in California.

In order to comply with California Laws and regulations we can NOT SHIP this product to California.
Orders which are placed with a California shipping address will be canceled.

https://www.dan-moto.com/DM_US/nc-700-x-s-2012-xg-1-product-1060.html

Lets say you ship it to another state and once you retrieve it you install it on your bike. Won't this prevent you from passing your annual test. It doesn't meet the states requirements therefore you will fail your emissions test.

Your choice but seems like a hassle to have to swap it out every year to pass a test.
Yep I see it. Even if you are able to get the product into CA sometimes... what happens when its time for emissions. Do you want to deal with the trouble you'll get into ? I prefer avoiding all of that.

A quick Google check found a few rules. Most common measurement at 50' from MC centerline. One state at 35'. A couple states at 20" but they are 96db. Some no louder than stock. Some no modifications to stock. Some change standard by speed or age of MC, or type road surface.

Here is a AAA summary by state: Motorcycle Noise Limits | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

One state's categories measured at 50':
Found here. http://www.cga.ct.gov/2003/olrdata/tra/rpt/2003-r-0676.htm

Maximum Permissible Noise Levels for Certain Motor Vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1979
Motorcycles
Highway Operation, soft site 35 mph or less 78 dB

Highway Operation, soft site, above 35 mph 82 db

Highway Operation, hard site, 35 mph or less 80 db

Highway Operation, hard site, above 35 mph 84 db

Stationary Operation, soft site 78 db

Stationary Operation, hard site 80 db

Last edited:
But that's California! I think that is a different country than the rest of us in the U.S.A.

I often refer to California as "The PRC"... "People's Republic of California"... Of course, it did produce Ronald Reagan, and as they say
"one out of every three Hollywood conservatives becomes President of the United States."
(that's a joke as it speaks to how many Hollywood conservatives there really are.)

You also have to watch out for local cities/towns which have their own noise laws. Nashville Indiana passed a new/different sound ordinance last year, and it includes all sound from any equipment not exempted, and if someone can hear it 25 feet away, it is a $50 fine for the first infraction. Within a month, 10-12 motorcyclists were fined and the fines held up in court. Below is a news article produced last August:
Columbuzz Indiana - Nashville town noise ordinance written to eliminate motorcycle traffic - fines being issued to tourists unaware of the ordinance

By the way, the ordinance hasn't kept motorcyclists out-I rode thru last fall (I don't stop in town anymore) and there were bikes everywhere.

If you read the fine print, almost every after market exhaust system will have the statement, "for off road use only" appearing in their ads.

We used to have a law in MN (can't find it in the books any more) that no merchant in the state could sell any automotive part that was not approved for on road use without a label stating it was for "off road use only."

Sure other states had similar laws, so all the manufactures put that on their parts to identify them as not being approved for on road use so they could still sell their products as local auto parts stores.

Though the local motorcycle shops I've been in do not sell flashing brake lights for this reason at all now, I don't know if any of those are labeled for off road use only.

Of course since everyone buys everything online nowadays it doesn't really matter much.
Ultimately the law here says the operator is responsible for ensuring the vehicle meets all applicable laws.

Got my DanMoto Jisu exhaust installed today. Easy application and sounds amazing. Quiet at idle and a nice smooth thumpy twin sound at speed. Never overly loud but enough to be heard, which is all I want. Very pleased.

UPDATE: I love this muffler. Holy cow. Blipping the throttle I feel like I'm on a supermoto. Amazing wind up riding through local canyon roads. :D

I ordered a Jisu exhaust the other day from DanMoto and promptly found this thread. Bummed out I emailed them saying basically, I just found out you don't ship to CA, you can ship it instead to this address in CO. Their response:

"Hello Andrew,

we ship to anywhere...Why should we not ship to California?"

I responded by mentioning the CARB compliance thing and we'll see what they say.

I would like to get a louder exhaust on my NC, but I can't find anyone that will ship the DanMoto to CA. I looked on DanMoto website and it specifically lists that orders from CA will be cancelled. Where did you order yours from?
My reason for wanting a louder exhaust is that I live in the SF bay area and very few people who live here are paying attention to what's going on around them when they drive and I am hoping that if I am heard when riding I will get to live a little longer...

Thanks,

Dave

Back