• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DAMMIT, I broke the motor of the NC700X

Status
Not open for further replies.

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
Hi guys

Today I made the dreaded trip to the Honda shop to
1. view the AT
2. get a new battery
3. ask how much he will give me for the NC700X.

And the dealer...(he is a star mechanic allegedly from his past) said something totally out of my scope.
He said, while the engine was idling, that there is a strange loud noise.
I said, ya, it is the valve clearances.
He said no.
He said it was a loose TIMING CHAIN but he is not sure.

And....he was reluctant to take back this bike even if I buy a new AT.
Later, I took the AT for a ride and he came up with an offer of 3500chf (about 3500usd).
My bike is 15000km, spotless, new Metz Tourance tires (less than 500km on these) and it is well maintained (DIY oil service and pretty much nothing else).

So.....do you think he was pulling a fast one on me?
Or should I be bothered by the "loose timing chain" noise?
Seriously after that "poison dart", I took off my ear plugs and started to listen to any funny strange noises. There is none, other than the loud ticking of the valves tuppets. Hmm...

Let me know your thoughts. Highly appreciated.

PS: OH yeah, the new AT....it rocks but to shell out a difference of 12kchf....hell no.
:rolleyes:

PPS: Someone from honda should give me a medal and I will give them my motor for diagnosis. If I can really break a honda motor in non-racing mode...I will be a star!

Last edited:
You're a real sucker if you fall for that one.

That dealer does not deserve your business and should never be trusted for sales or service. You might counter with this point: if my NC700X has this serious problem after only X years or X km, why would I want to buy another Honda? The dealer is essentially pointing out a flaw in the product line he sells.

Last edited:
Whatever it could be...if there is such a problem....the noises will become drastically louder as time goes on.

I highly doubt he picked up on a subtle noise that equates to sudden death of your motor.

Let time go by and drive it!

These are loud motors, so is my FZ 09 and Triumph Bonneville, if you are really concerned either find others with an NC and listen to them or go to another dealer. NEVER EVER EVER NEVER DEAL WITH THAT PRICK AGAIN. He's the kind that convinces girls, old ladies and computer geeks they need new tyres or batteries when they are months old.

I remembered this thread about the cam chain tensioner. I'm not saying that the dealer is right, but it wouldn't be the first time a cam chain has been loose on a NC. I believe there have been several people who have had issues with this part. It may be something worth checking, especially if a $100 fix will get you another $1000 or so in resale value.

If the timing chain tensioner is broken, you can notice the noise when you rev the throttle. When rpm is going down, the chain usually slap on the casing. Very noticeable and particular noise.

Oh and I'm also dying for the AT but there is no way (even if it is a Honda) I can litterally ''GIVE'' the NC in a one way deal like this. I've made the exercise past winter at the Moto Show with a cheap offer from my dealer...

Last edited:
Sounds a lot like a "Snow Job" to me.

He's hoping his story will help you make the decision to trade-in your bike that he can "Flip" quickly for a profit.

There's a fine line between "Want & Need", usually reasoning. You may want a new DCT, are you willing to "Give Away" your current NC to get it? If not, keep what you got for awhile longer. The bike is only going to decrease in market value, not in the value of fun to ride.

There's my 2¢ worth.

In situations like this I always think about incentives. What incentive does the dealer have to tell you your bike is in perfect, spotless condition (worth top dollar)? None, other than the ability to sleep at night knowing how honest he is. Sadly, that incentive doesn't often win out over the incentive to make money. He has a big incentive to tell you your bike has grave issues, convincing you to sell it to him for a song so he can turn around and make a good profit from it.

If you're really worried about the engine have an independent mechanic with a reputation for honesty and who is familiar with the NC700 check it out.

This is the main reason why I never trade anything in. It's a bit more of a hassle selling it yourself, but you'll likely make out much better doing so.

One more possibility - I notice this is an X and not a DCT. If that dealer is not familiar with the NC700X and its idiosyncrasies he may be hearing that rumbling clutch noise that's present when it's idling in neutral with the clutch out. That noise scared me when I first heard it, until I did some research and discovered that it's normal for this bike. Or maybe he is familiar with it but is betting he can convince you it's a grave issue.

Last edited:
If your dealer is having difficulty to sell AT in Switzerland, just tell in to ship them all in Canada; guys want them so badly !

Nope. He said he is all sold out (although he had a demo bike which had some scratches).
He did offer to call up other swiss dealers to get me the bike.

Online, the DCT is going for around 14500chf, while he said 15500chf.
Well...
:rolleyes:

A business exists to make money, but it matters to most that one should be honest and match the average prices.

Many swiss shopkeepers do not.........ok ok, don't even let me go there. They are losing customers every day but they simply don't give a damm.

Any chance of you putting up a sound byte or vid clip to let us hear ? The valve clearances on mine were noisy at the beginning but they quietened down with mileage as the clearances tightened.

happy, it's clear to me, from your avatar, that the headlight fluid in your NCX is low, way low. You should consider yourself lucky that the dealer is offering you $3500 for a bike while headlight fluid that low.

;) ;) ;)

If the timing chain tensioner is broken, you can notice the noise when you rev the throttle. When rpm is going down, the chain usually slap on the casing. Very noticeable and particular noise.

Oh and I'm also dying for the AT but there is no way (even if it is a Honda) I can litterally ''GIVE'' the NC in a one way deal like this. I've made the exercise past winter at the Moto Show with a cheap offer from my dealer...
I second this opinion. At an idle it's very unlikely, and with or without ear plugs I think you would have noticed something while actually riding the motorcycle vs him hearing it at idle. When I had my NC700X apart to adjust valves I took my tensioner out just to check it out (not recommended) hard to get out, really hard to get back in but doable for a motivated novice

Skipping the noise which likely "sales guy noise"

$3500 USD for the NC at trade in .....is likely about right.

..............List Price.....low retail......avg retail
Base Price $6,999 $3,530 $4,645
Options: (add)
TOTAL PRICE: $6,999 $3,530 $4,645

Last edited:
Skipping the noise which likely "sales guy noise"

$3500 USD for the NC at trade in .....is likely about right.

..............List Price.....low retail......avg retail
Base Price$6,999$3,530$4,645
Options: (add)
TOTAL PRICE:$6,999$3,530$4,645
Yeah better off selling it yourself

These are loud motors, so is my FZ 09 and Triumph Bonneville, if you are really concerned either find others with an NC and listen to them or go to another dealer. NEVER EVER EVER NEVER DEAL WITH THAT PRICK AGAIN. He's the kind that convinces girls, old ladies and computer geeks they need new tyres or batteries when they are months old.

I'm a computer geek! And there are some girls, possibly even an old lady on here that may also take offence. ;)

I have a thread about a broken timing chain tensioner titled something like "Dammit - I'll go first" . I couldn't find it.

The part was only about $100 and it took me about 2 hours to replace it.

Trust me, you will know it when you hear it. It is not the little ticking sound you get from loose valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back