• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Cyclegear Handguards on sale....

I got my today and installed.i also and to losen the brake support.i also had to losen the clutch side and move the support as far left as it would go due to my windshield.they look good.will try out on way home from work in the morning,its been 48 degrees on the way home in the mornings lately.
Untitled by ziggie24, on Flickr

Do these hand guards only attach in one place on the handlebars, on the inside of the levers and switches? Or do they also attach to the bar ends? I couldn's find a picture or instructions on the Cycle Gear website.
Ziggie, your bike looks great.

Do these hand guards only attach in one place on the handlebars, on the inside of the levers and switches? Or do they also attach to the bar ends? I couldn's find a picture or instructions on the Cycle Gear website.
Ziggie, your bike looks great.
Thank you.its a work in progress.there are two types.one hooks to the bar ends,the cheep ones don't.

Thanks for posting the pics. Yes, that just about confirms it for. My bar ends are what's preventing the parallel installation. I'll have to look for some spacers or washer to use and remove the bar ends.
You can mount the bar end weights on the outside of the aluminum hand guard bar if you are worried about vibrations.

You can mount the bar end weights on the outside of the aluminum hand guard bar if you are worried about vibrations.

I have the oem heated grips and think if pressure is applied to the grips, they may get damaged as there wouldn't be anything protecting them from getting rubbed against the guard (unless I can find a small spacer maybe?

Last edited:
I have the oem heated grips and think if pressure is applied to the grips, they may get damaged as there wouldn't be anything protecting them from getting rubbed against the guard (unless I can find a small spacer maybe?

You don't have to push the guard all the way against the grip ( if you don't keep the bar ends on )...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just put a set from the Yama Tenere on my bike they look good and match the fuel tank. You will have to make the mounts which is not hard.

The aluminum hand guards [aluminium for our friends across the pond :) ] -- are back on sale at cycle gear for $44

I think I might order some now that the price is low again.

Cycle Gear doesn't really have sales. What really happens is that at times the prices are normal, and at other times they just double the price for the sucker that will pay that much. The $44 is the "normal" price.

Greg

Cycle Gear doesn't really have sales. What really happens is that at times the prices are normal, and at other times they just double the price for the sucker that will pay that much. The $44 is the "normal" price.

Greg

Agree ^^^^^^^^^^ see post #3 some will argue this fact but their pricing is suspect at the very least, but it is cheap in every way.......................if you think Harbor Freight has quality stuff you should love CG. stuff..................flak jacket on

Agree ^^^^^^^^^^ see post #3 some will argue this fact but their pricing is suspect at the very least, but it is cheap in every way.......................if you think Harbor Freight has quality stuff you should love CG. stuff..................flak jacket on

ALL the BILT clothing and boots I have tried SUCK. !!.
But I have bought a couple BILT tank bags and they are kinda cheapo but if you know that when you buy it then there are no surprises.I shop at CG ALOT but buy oil and filters mostly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I installed the $45 CycleGear handguards today. Sorry, no pic because they look just like the rest of them posted here. I had to bend the aluminum bar to open up the radius by clamping the end in a wood vise and pulling very hard (they are amazingly strong). That got the bend right with no damage to the paint. I installed the clutch side OK, using the stock weight and stock bar end screw.

I almost gave up when I got to the throttle side because no matter what, the brake line was in the way. I couldn't rotate the banjo fitting up enough out of the way. Then I decided to cut off the little tab on the master cylinder that limits the banjo rotation, and that solved my problem.

Having a Madstad screen and bar risers, there is no interference between the guards and the screen.

The guards fit great, the hardware looks good, and I peeled off the Trackside stickers so now they look even better. The black aluminum pieces look awesome, but I wonder if the screws and washers will rust over time. They are plated nicely but are not stainless steel.

I ordered a three inch longer front brake hose off eBay to accomodate the rotation I put in the banjo plus the risers I have under the bars. That should make everything fit better. Ordering the $35 brake hose was still way better than spending 3X for the guards, had I gone with Barkbusters.

Greg

I'll be the first to admit that my mechanical reasoning is fairly non existent, however I for the life of me cannot figure how these will fit on the bars.

IMG_20140304_171801021.jpg

See if this helps

It is tight but I was able to get them so they don't rub on the brake line. You may notice that I lost a bolt and replaced it with a different one.

Last edited:
Back