• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Completed MSF course/Pulled over by a cop

Actually, besides the "history lesson" I received from another member, I have ZERO problem if someone calls my NCX a giant scooter wannabe a GS type of motorcycle.
Scooter guys are also riders and many of them are just like us.

What's so wrong to be "scooters"?
Don't be so narrow minded etc...
:p

Actually, besides the "history lesson" I received from another member, I have ZERO problem if someone calls my NCX a giant scooter wannabe a GS type of motorcycle.

Actually some of them are us. My other ride is a Piaggio MP3 with 65,000 miles on it. Some people look down on it in the parking lot but have a totally different level of respect when they see what it can do.

I have not had a scooter type comment on my NC.

There's nothing wrong with scooters. Three of the six machines we own are true scooters. By comparison, however, the design of the NC700X simply is not a scooter. It shares nothing in common in terms of engine placement, transmission type, final drive design, seating position/ergonomics, etc. Calling the NC700X a scooter is like calling an SUV a sports car or calling a concrete truck a garbage truck. It's simply just not what it is.

From Wikipedia: The United States Department of Transportation defines a scooter as a motorcycle that has a platform for the operator's feet or has integrated footrests, and has a step-through architecture.

Greg

Last edited:
I have not had a scooter type comment on my NC.

I work at a factory where we park in designated parking. I have had several inquires on my bike. Most people just don't know what it is or they may have read something about it. It has never been confused with a scooter. I get harassed more because of the fact it’s not a Harley. That has always been the case because I have always rode sport bikes.

I look at it the same way as mentioned above. Scooter or motorcycle? I don't really care. They are on two wheels and they are enjoying themselves. Scooter have there place just like the NCX has it's.

Yep, and I wave at scooters along the motorcycles. Manufacturers sell more scooters than motorcycles worldwide (and probably in the US also). Nothing wrong with scooters. When I get too old to hold up a motorcycle (or my knees finally give out) I want the biggest 3 wheeled Piaggio scooter (2 wheels in front and they lean in curves :))

You will meet a lot more people who are impressed by the NCX.

I was actually surprised when I was pulling out of a dealer the other day and two of the mechanics (I think.. tough guys who I assumed would look down on me and probably ride huge 1200s) were kind of impressed and asking a lot of questions. They even didn't furrow a brow when we discussed the fact that it was Auto. Small thing, obviously, but it was kind of nice to get some folks who know their shiz not look down on the bike like your instructor did.

I do agree though... regardless of what the instructor or the mechanics I met say... just ride what you want. It's your butt on the seat, your money, and your priorities. I think this bike wins hard because of the frunk.

kaibil1 I dont mean to be negative even though you passed your test doesn't mean your a proficient rider,
that will come later as you gain more experience.
just take it steady and keep an eye out for all other road user especially at road junction.
don't assume that they see you even if you can see their eyes looking at you.
you can bet your bottom dollar one will pull out.
just take it canny theres always tomorrow if you ride steadily, ride like a fool you'll soon see them pearly gates and none of us want you to go through it.
take and keep the rubber side down.

I agree with you, this is just the beginning, I will take it slow and continue practicing as if it was day one. Little by little I will go to more busy roads with more challenges. I'm not in a rush and for me safety is first. Thank you for all your comments.

The United States Department of Transportation defines a scooter as a motorcycle that has a platform for the operator's feet or has integrated footrests, and has a step-through architecture.
frigging elly so that means a Harley is an actually motor bike ,well tickle ma bum ;)

what's the problem? as long as you got the money-you can buy whatever. you can't drive it,but you have the right to own it. i got my first car in USSR way ahead of my driver's license. i bought,registered and was riding on my first bike in US without M license. i'm not even sure,if it's required in PA(if you already have C class or whatever it's called for passenger car). done the motorcycle courses 10 years ago or so because they are fun and free and at the end -they give you a M class. a lot of nice girls are in it . what do we have to lose? :)

Huh?

He was just asking how the guy rode there (legally) on his motorcycle, if he didn't have a motorcycle licence yet. The only confusion was not knowing about a learner's licence allowing you to ride before taking the full endorsement test.

Nothing to do with owning a motorcycle before getting, or not having a licence.

what's the problem? as long as you got the money-you can buy whatever. you can't drive it,but you have the right to own it. i got my first car in USSR way ahead of my driver's license. i bought,registered and was riding on my first bike in US without M license. i'm not even sure,if it's required in PA(if you already have C class or whatever it's called for passenger car). done the motorcycle courses 10 years ago or so because they are fun and free and at the end -they give you a M class. a lot of nice girls are in it . what do we have to lose? :)

Interesting. In all the years I've been teaching motorcycle safety classes I've never had a student tell me he took it because there were lots of nice girls in it (or vice versa). Oh well, whatever gets them in the door.

From Wikipedia: The United States Department of Transportation defines a scooter as a motorcycle that has a platform for the operator's feet or has integrated footrests, and has a step-through architecture.

It also depends on how your state defines a scooter, at least here in the U.S. In Virginia, there's legally no such thing as a scooter. We have motorcycles and we have mopeds. The definition for a moped is:

"Moped" means every vehicle that travels on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground that (i) has a seat that is no less than 24 inches in height, measured from the middle of the seat perpendicular to the ground; (ii) has a gasoline, electric, or hybrid motor that (a) displaces 50 cubic centimeters or less or (b) has an input of 1500 watts or less; (iii) is power-driven, with or without pedals that allow propulsion by human power; and (iv) is not operated at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour. For purposes of this title, a moped shall be a motorcycle when operated at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour. For purposes of Chapter 8 (§ 46.2-800 et seq.), a moped shall be a vehicle while operated on a highway.

Item (iv) is particularly interesting. You can have a vehicle that meets all the other definitions for a moped, but any time you drive it over 35 mph, it's considered a motorcycle and you need to comply with all the state motorcycle laws (i.e., licensing, registration, equipment, etc.)

It also depends on how your state defines a scooter, at least here in the U.S. In Virginia, there's legally no such thing as a scooter. We have motorcycles and we have mopeds. The definition for a moped is:

"Moped" means every vehicle that travels on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground that (i) has a seat that is no less than 24 inches in height, measured from the middle of the seat perpendicular to the ground; (ii) has a gasoline, electric, or hybrid motor that (a) displaces 50 cubic centimeters or less or (b) has an input of 1500 watts or less; (iii) is power-driven, with or without pedals that allow propulsion by human power; and (iv) is not operated at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour. For purposes of this title, a moped shall be a motorcycle when operated at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour. For purposes of Chapter 8 (§ 46.2-800 et seq.), a moped shall be a vehicle while operated on a highway.

Item (iv) is particularly interesting. You can have a vehicle that meets all the other definitions for a moped, but any time you drive it over 35 mph, it's considered a motorcycle and you need to comply with all the state motorcycle laws (i.e., licensing, registration, equipment, etc.)

The 35 mph limit may be moot since you'd be hard pressed to get there with 1.5 kW (about 2 hp).

Greg

The 35 mph limit may be moot since you'd be hard pressed to get there with 1.5 kW (about 2 hp).

Greg

I'm not so sure about that. A 50 cc scooter should easily be able to make 35. In Virginia, as long as the driver keeps it under 35, it's considered a "moped" and a license is not required. As soon as it exceeds 35, it's considered a motorcycle and the driver better have an M endorsement, insurance, etc.

I'm not so sure about that. A 50 cc scooter should easily be able to make 35. In Virginia, as long as the driver keeps it under 35, it's considered a "moped" and a license is not required. As soon as it exceeds 35, it's considered a motorcycle and the driver better have an M endorsement, insurance, etc.

Oh, I agree, a 50cc scooter can definitely do 35 mph. The point though, is by Virginia definition, a moped can't be over 1500 watts, so most all 50cc scooters can't be mopeds. Most 50cc scooters put out at least twice that, maybe 3 times if it's a two stroke. If a Virginia moped can't have over 1500 watts output, the 35 mph limit is not likely coming into play for moped definition.

Another way to look at is that most all 50 cc "scooters" in Virginia will be defined as motorcycles because they make too much power to fit the moped definition. Simply keeping it under 35 will not make it a moped, unless somehow you could argue that by not opening the throttle all the way, you never exceeded 1500 watts :confused:.

Greg

Last edited:
Oh, I agree, a 50cc scooter can definitely do 35 mph. The point though, is by Virginia definition, a moped can't be over 1500 watts. Most 50cc scooters put out at least twice that, maybe 3 times if it's a two stroke. If a Virginia moped can't have over 1500 watts output, the 35 mph limit is not likely coming into play for moped definition.

Another way to look at is that most all 50 cc "scooters" in Virginia will be defined as motorcycles because they make too much power to fit the moped definition. Simply keeping it under 35 will not make it a moped, unless somehow you could argue that by not opening the throttle all the way, you never exceeded 1500 watts :confused:.

Greg

Greg,

Now I understand the confusion. The Virginia code says 50cc OR 1500 watts. It's basically saying 50cc or less for a gasoline powered engine, and 1500 watts or less for an electric powered engine. I wholeheartedly agree with you that 35 mph is not realistic for a 1500 watt electric engine.

Re: your other point, actually simply keeping the speed under 35 WILL make it a moped in the law's eyes in Virginia. As long as the other criteria are met for defining a vehicle as a moped, if a rider is caught exceeding 35 mph, it will be considered a motorcycle and the rider should have an M endorsement. If the rider keeps that same vehicle under 35, it's considered a moped and no endorsement is required (although there are other requirements for moped riders). It's the actual speed at any given time that counts, not the potential speed. Odd, but true.

Greg,

Now I understand the confusion. The Virginia code says 50cc OR 1500 watts. It's basically saying 50cc or less for a gasoline powered engine, and 1500 watts or less for an electric powered engine. I wholeheartedly agree with you that 35 mph is not realistic for a 1500 watt electric engine.

Re: your other point, actually simply keeping the speed under 35 WILL make it a moped in the law's eyes in Virginia. As long as the other criteria are met for defining a vehicle as a moped, if a rider is caught exceeding 35 mph, it will be considered a motorcycle and the rider should have an M endorsement. If the rider keeps that same vehicle under 35, it's considered a moped and no endorsement is required (although there are other requirements for moped riders). It's the actual speed at any given time that counts, not the potential speed. Odd, but true.

You live there so I'm sure you would know. Sorry I was wrong.

I understood the 1500 watts to be for either gas or electric. Most of the world measures gas engine power in watts. Only backward countries like the USA use horsepower. (Measuring engine power in relation to equine animals - how silly is that?)

Illinois has a nearly identical law. It clearly states that to be a moped, it, A) Must be under 50cc, B) Must make less than 2 bhp, C) Must not be capable of exceeding 30 mph after 1 mile, AND D) Require no gear shifting. Most every dealer will lie to their customers and tell them they don't need a motorcycle class L license for a 50cc machine. And they are wrong, but the LEOs probably don't know any better either.

Greg

Last edited:
Back