• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Commuting Advice

Once you have all the details you can make an informed decision. If you find out you have no place to hang a wet suit you may just have to drive that day. I can't remember where you said the new job might be but hopefully you won't have to deal with a ton or rain.

The job is in downtown Lincoln, NE. Fall tends to be a little wetter than summer, but not terrible. Not like the Pacific NW. As soon as we get the threat of the first snow or ice the city will throw down sand so the bikes will probably stabled for the season at that point. Spring is always a bit sketchy at first until the street sweepers make their rounds.

Lincoln? You might get wet occasionally but I can't see it being a major deal.
In my end of Nebraska it's usually evening thundershowers after the commute but even if it's earlier you don't have to worry about hanging wet gear at work.
Morning showers are usually pretty early in the morning and you don't get very wet.

Make sure you have a disk lock or something to help keep your bike from being stolen.

Yea I have a rain liner I can put into my jacket and pants, so I should be OK for quick popup situations but if heavy rain is likely I'll probably stick to the car.

The disk lock is a good idea and was on my do to list. I'm waiting to find out about the parking situation first.

Check your parking options. Many companies in downtown areas provide subsidized if not even free parking for bike commuters.

We have a storage room where I can leave my boots/riding pants and in rainy days I hang them up in engineering boiler room which is just across the hall too. As long as I don't block access or make a nuisance with my gear they don't mind at all. Always helps to be friends with facilities/engineering crew.

I leave the helmet in the top trunk (Honda 45l) but otherwise walk in with full gear.

I commute 55 miles to a light rail station, then take the light rail into the city to work. I have two side cases, but no top box. Here's how it goes for me: dress in street clothes with my riding boots on. In the garage, step into full side zip riding pants, put work backpack in a side case, put on jacket and helmet and head out. When I get to the train station, I remove backpack and put pants and jacket in the side cases. Helmet goes in the frunk. Ride to work in street clothes and riding boots. Change into work shoes that I leave at the office. If it rains, I stow wet clothes in the side cases and either dry them on the way home or make them wetter if still raining. Either way, they dry out overnight at home and are ready for the next day. With access to carpool lanes and lane splitting, even with brief clothing transitions, commute time is slightly quicker than driving.

Back