• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

combined anti lock brakes (simple explaination) please

Remember the drawing was only to provide a visual explaination of a combined ABS layout. The NC may not be exactly like this.

The delay valve is on the red line, which is fed by the rear brake foot pedal. This is used for what its name stands for. It retards the rise of the line pressure to the front caliper while pressing the foot brake, giving time for the bike mass to move forward (better traction on the front wheel) before applying the front brake.

Question: Does people use the foot brake more in regular driving? By the diagram above, it seems like the bike would stop better because it applies small amount of front brake

Question: Does people use the foot brake more in regular driving? By the diagram above, it seems like the bike would stop better because it applies small amount of front brake

Not using the front brake to its maximum capability (short of lock-up) is a really bad idea. When you think of braking, remember it's the tire's contact patch that's important, and the more weight on it the more grip it will have. Braking transfers weight to the front tire and increases its ability (again, short of lock-up) to decel the bike. So if you want longer stopping distances, by all means use less front brake! :pb

Remember the drawing was only to provide a visual explaination of a combined ABS layout. The NC may not be exactly like this.

The delay valve is on the red line, which is fed by the rear brake foot pedal. This is used for what its name stands for. It retards the rise of the line pressure to the front caliper while pressing the foot brake, giving time for the bike mass to move forward (better traction on the front wheel) before applying the front brake.
+1. By applying rear brake a fraction if a second before the front also acts to reduce fork dive. It stabilizes the suspension at the onset of braking.

+1. By applying rear brake a fraction if a second before the front also acts to reduce fork dive. It stabilizes the suspension at the onset of braking.

And this is exactly the reason for the delay valve in the combined brake system. Someone was asking what the delay do, this exactly

I've put a fair few km's on hideous gravel under just sucky conditions, in the past week. Low and behold, I dare say I'm almost totally won over with how Honda rigged up the Combined/ABS on this machine.

I was a diehard ABS hater all my life, and my brand new BMW confirmed all of my fears and suspicions 100-fold.* The idea of further adding to this horrible situation by taking away my ability to independently activate front and rear brakes, well needless to say, I was more than a little trepidatious about the NCX, but it had so much that I wanted in a bike, I was willing to give it a go. I figured if worse came to worse, I could tear out all the ABS and linked crap, and go separate braided steel lines like I've had on all my other bikes.

The ABS has done nothing untoward on the street, and to tell the truth I can't 100% say I've been aware of it, other than of course, the wheels not locking when I've tried to.

The Linked part is noticeable, but you really have to stomp on the rear pedal all by itself, to totally feel it. If you brake normally, with just the front, or mostly front with a little rear brake pressure thrown in, I don't know it's there at all.

Off road and gravel was what I was most worried about, but again, I figured if it was obnoxious, I could probably do something to mitigate it. It has proven to be a non-issue so far, for me. I still reserve the right to euthanize it if it presents a problem as I continue to do more off road stuff, but that is slowly fading into the background of my top things to do list. :)

* If my BMW did anything for the good, it changed my braking habits (out of necessity for life and limb), to a heavier rear brake, and a rear brake first before front user. I think this weird way of doing things (for me) allowed the transition to the linked rear to front set up on the NCX to be less of a paranoia, and I have learned that I don't mind settling or hunkering the bike down on it's haunches, prior to front application.

Back