• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

combined anti lock brakes (simple explaination) please

It means if you press the brake pedal both front and rear brakes will activate along with ABS, Front brake handle acts on front wheel only (w/ ABS also)!

so it sounds like if you use the foot brakes on a combined ABS antilock that a portion of the braking power will apply to the front wheel.
However, if you apply the front brakes it only apply to the front wheel only.
Did I understand it correctly ?

K

Some help here from one of you dirt bike riders. I am not suppose to hit my front brake in the dirt? If I hit my front brake in the dirt, I go down. How, you tell me if I hit my back break, I am also hitting my front brake. That sounds like linked braking, not ABS anti lock breaking.

This is what Honda says about the brakes: "The brakes are linked rear-to-front and incorporate an Anti-lock feature (C-ABS) for excellent stopping power, especially under challenging conditions."

I must be missing something here. If I hit the front brake in the dirt, I am going down in the dirt. If I hit the back brake, I am also hitting the front brake , and I am going down in the dirt. And if I am going down this rocky pass, when I hit either brakes with ABS they are not going to lock up, only going somewhat slower down the rocky pass, and I am going down again.

Don't sound like a dirt bike rider should want to hit any of these brakes, or down he goes. In the dirt don't sound like I would want those ABS brakes. But I guess it really doesn't matter, because I usually go down anyway.0.jpg

SmileyConfuessed.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
The rear brake operates ONE of the THREE pistons on the front caliper. The system uses some proportional valving system so that under light pressure on the rear brake only a very light pressure is applied to the front. The pressures aren't the same. Harder applications of the rear brake result in an increase of the proportion of power also applied to the front. That is: the proportion of front/back pressure applied increases....the relative power increases, not just the absolute power. What that boils down to is that under normal riding conditions the linked effect is so light that you'll probably not even notice it.

Some help here from one of you dirt bike riders. I am not suppose to hit my front brake in the dirt? If I hit my front brake in the dirt, I go down. How, you tell me if I hit my back break, I am also hitting my front brake. That sounds like linked braking, not ABS anti lock breaking.

This is what Honda says about the brakes: "The brakes are linked rear-to-front and incorporate an Anti-lock feature (C-ABS) for excellent stopping power, especially under challenging conditions."

I must be missing something here. If I hit the front brake in the dirt, I am going down in the dirt. If I hit the back brake, I am also hitting the front brake , and I am going down in the dirt. And if I am going down this rocky pass, when I hit either brakes with ABS they are not going to lock up, only going somewhat slower down the rocky pass, and I am going down again.

Don't sound like a dirt bike rider should want to hit any of these brakes, or down he goes. In the dirt don't sound like I would want those ABS brakes. But I guess it really doesn't matter, because I usually go down anyway.

I see no problem hitting the front brake in the dirt. In fact it is what I use mostly. The issue with dirt bikes is that you always want to control what brake you use, so a combined system brake like the one on the NCX as no sense. Also, there are lot of situations where you want to lock the rear brake (never the front brake, by the way), so an ABS system acting on the rear is not desired and this is the reason some dual bikes have a disconect feature for the ABS.

Most of the dirt bikers will say they don't want an ABS system at all, but I would like to try a dirt bike with ABS only in the front, I think it would be no problem.

The rear brake operates ONE of the THREE pistons on the front caliper. The system uses some proportional valving system so that under light pressure on the rear brake only a very light pressure is applied to the front. The pressures aren't the same. Harder applications of the rear brake result in an increase of the proportion of power also applied to the front. That is: the proportion of front/back pressure applied increases....the relative power increases, not just the absolute power. What that boils down to is that under normal riding conditions the linked effect is so light that you'll probably not even notice it.

Mike Cash- so if I used the rear brake (foot brake) it will apply a certain amount of pressure to the front brake depending on how much pressure I use. The more pressure on the foot brake, the more pressure is applied to both rear and front brake. So if I only use the front brake then it only activate the front brakes.

did I get this right ? I'm just trying to understand on how this combined antilock brakes work.

Ken

Mike Cash- so if I used the rear brake (foot brake) it will apply a certain amount of pressure to the front brake depending on how much pressure I use. The more pressure on the foot brake, the more pressure is applied to both rear and front brake. So if I only use the front brake then it only activate the front brakes.

did I get this right ? I'm just trying to understand on how this combined antilock brakes work.

Ken
Yes .....................

I dont have ABS on my Nc700, but for those of you who do have it, can you NOT turn it off or disable it. I could on my bmw g650gs, simple hold down a button and the abs was deactivated. If you can deactivate it, doesnt this also deactive the linked braking?

I dont have ABS on my Nc700, but for those of you who do have it, can you NOT turn it off or disable it. I could on my bmw g650gs, simple hold down a button and the abs was deactivated. If you can deactivate it, doesnt this also deactive the linked braking?

No disabling or other options are available.

The ABS and the linked braking are two different and separate systems. My Aprilia Scarabeo had linked brakes but no ABS. The front brake lever activated the entire front brake. At very slow speeds, the back lever activated only the rear brake. At higher speeds, the rear lever activated the rear park and one of the multiple front brake pistons.

Linked brakes gives the rider less choice over which brake is used in which proportion. It is also safer for most riders in the most common situations--which is Honda's goal. The NCX is a street bike with some "adventure" capabilities, so it's gonna have street bike safety features.

Don't have ABS on my NC either, but my understanding is for ABS you can pull the fuse to "disable" it.
Linking braking I believe is a mechanical function, but I think that it too could be disabled though breaking the correct components (i.e. crimping a brake line) though it's probably not a good idea for one reason or another.

I wished for ABS when I first got the bike, the more I read the more ambivalent I become on the topic.

Wow, I like the diagram, very interesting.

Of course that throws up more questions - I know the PCV is a Pressure Control Valve, so is that the device which modulates the pressure to the rear calliper to stop lock up?

What is the function of the Delay valve on the front circuit?

Back