• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain Oiler-How Much Is TOO Little

hojo

Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds like the majority of those that manually oil their chain, do so every 500 miles. I know that one way you can tell if you are setting the drip rate too high is either by oil on the rear tire/rim and/or oil on the floor (dripping off the chain while sitting). Okay, so that makes perfect sense, but what is the LEAST amount of oil to drip onto the chain, and the only way I can collectively monitor this is how quickly or slowly, the oiler needs to be refilled.

I'll start first with my thoughts: If I manually spray the chain every 500 miles, should the automatic oiler drip rate be set such that the oiler bottle needs to be refilled every 500 miles? In theory this sounds about right, however, if I have to stop and fill the oiler every 500 miles (and now I have to carry extra oil), why not just stop and spray the chain every 500 miles (I know, one nice thing about the oiler is that it drips oil onto the chain while it is raining).

I'm pretty sure that when I manually spray oil onto the chain every 500 miles, I am NOT spraying the same amount of oil that the automatic oiler can hold, so I'm thinking that the drip rate shouldn't be so high that the oiler needs to be filled every 500 miles. Maybe a reasonable drip rate for the automatic oiler is such that it doesn't need to be filled until 1,000 miles have been driven. That makes a long day in the saddle much more reasonable so that you don't have to worry about stopping until the end of the day to fill the oiler.

Then there is the middle of the road; set the drip rate for 500 miles, then if you manually oil your chain, couldn't you in theory, go another 500 miles (now 1,000 miles into a ride) without either spraying the chain or putting oil into the oiler? My concern with this method, is that at 1,000 miles when you fill the oiler, it won't completely lube the chain for many, many miles down the road. On the flip side, spraying the chain would give instant complete lube, but then start to wear off later rather than sooner.

I would like to hear how others are setting their drip rates on the oiler.

Basically You are tying to apply a precise modus operanda to a very imprecise piece of kit. Why is it imprecise ? Ambient air temperature plays a big part in oil flow from an oiler, for one. Oil viscosity is another. Throttle usage also plays a part if you are using something like a Scottoiler which relies on Engine intake vacuum. I have no doubt the physicists among us will think up other reasons.

On cold days the oil will be slower to flow thru the dispenser. That is why we then change the viscosity with the seasons. However even with that change, some days will be colder than others and that will vary flow.

I think the best description of how to set up an oiler is as described by Yourself in your opening paragraph. Too much and it is getting on the tyre. The floor doesn't matter to be honest. If there is too little oil being dispensed then the chain will have a blackish look to the rollers. If it is just right (imho) then the rollers have a slightly moist but shiny appearance to them. Too much and you are getting an excessive amount on the tyre. Mind you, a small amount will always get on the tyre, such as a few spots here and there.

This is the best advice I can give other than, having tried a couple of different oilers, I have found the Tutoro to be the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't use enough oil to be a cost issue. For the chain there is no such thing as too much oil. If no oil on floor or rear rim you are not too much. I tend to find some on my rear rim and not floor and am very happy with that. Chain is doing fine and no big deal to occasionally wipe off the rear rim. That said I am around 1000 to 1500 miles on my Tutoro reservoir.

No, I'm not talking about cost, but ease of use. If I have to take a bunch of oil on a long trip and fill it up every 500 miles, then am I really saving TIME and should I just bring a can and spray the chain?

It depends on your speed. Higher speed means more drops, lower speed less drops. If you've an electronic oiler (with a pump) it's easier because viscosity is not so critical.
If your chain is wet with minimal fling then your adjustment is probably the best.

Scottoiler vSystem (v for vacuum) uses the vacuum just to release the valve of the oiler. It uses gravity like Tutoro, etc. Anyway it can't be used with NC's engine.
Only systems with a pump (like Scottoiler eSystem, or PDOiler) may provide a constant oil flow (though proper viscosity oil will help the pump).

There is an electronic oiler that adjusts the flow according to speed using GPS or a wheel sensor...

It depends on your speed. Higher speed means more drops, lower speed less drops. If you've an electronic oiler (with a pump) it's easier because viscosity is not so critical.
If your chain is wet with minimal fling then your adjustment is probably the best.

Scottoiler vSystem (v for vacuum) uses the vacuum just to release the valve of the oiler. It uses gravity like Tutoro, etc. Anyway it can't be used with NC's engine.
Only systems with a pump (like Scottoiler eSystem, or PDOiler) may provide a constant oil flow (though proper viscosity oil will help the pump).

There is an electronic oiler that adjusts the flow according to speed using GPS or a wheel sensor...
Tutoro oiler discharges oil at constant rate if bike is moving.

It can not be constant because of the viscosity changing continuously with the temperature. The diameter of the adjustment valve is constant, the viscosity not.
The same adjustment will allow less oil flow as temperature lowers (it's thicker), and more (it's thinner) when the temperature rises.

This is the reason that we've to fill the oiler with oil of different viscosity according to the mean environmental temperature.
What oil should I use?

Just physics...

Movement only releases the valve to allow the oil flow (that's the beauty of tutoro!)

Only a pump may control flow with some accuracy.

No, I'm not talking about cost, but ease of use. If I have to take a bunch of oil on a long trip and fill it up every 500 miles, then am I really saving TIME and should I just bring a can and spray the chain?

Depends on the reservoir size of your oilier and how much oil you are putting down on the chain...

most of the oilers I've looked at have a reservoir that should last a thousand miles or more, so yes you are removing the need to do that maintenance, but you should still probably inspect your chain regularly for tight spots, and tension, etc...

Personally I was all in for an auto-oiler when I bought the bike, was going to be one of the first things I put on. Then I realized how easy it is to just spray the chain... I do a quick spray nearly every time I gas up.

A bunch of oil? A pint would last you thousands of miles and not take up any more space than a can of spray lube. And you can grab oil at any gas station for $3/qt.

I've not measured the volume of mine, but Tutoro's site say the main unit is 100mm by 45mm. The volume of a cylinder that size should be ~159cc or 5oz. That doesn't take into consideration the mechanism inside the cylinder that's displacing volume, and I don't think the entire reservoir is that size. I'd bet it only holds about 3oz give or take.

Let's say 3oz gets you 1000 miles down the road (that's about how long I can leave mine without refilling). A quart of oil would last you over 10,000 miles... I'm wanting to try different types of oil in mine but it's taking forever to burn through the quart of 30wt I bought for my initial trial!

That said, yes, at the end of every day or so if you're putting on the miles, you're going to have to fill it up -- no better or worse than spraying it with lube. Where I really enjoy my Tuturo is the daily grind commuting and weekend jaunts where I might not be putting but 1000 miles/month on it, but I don't have to think about the chain for the entire month, rain or shine.

Definitely not worth the extra parts, expense, and upkeep to everyone, but they're handy little units for some ;)

trey

The easy to install $60 Motobriiz oiler has been working well for me and have read good owner reviews.
The 1/4" ram air line pressurizes the oil reservoir where oil is wicked to the chain feed line, flowing a minute amount of oil w/speed.

A chain has always been the best final drive value, but keeping it lubed correctly, to maintaining that good value has been the challenge.
The maintenance-free Motobriiz, IMO has addressed this.

I also have a Motobriiz. I wrote up something on the board here about where/how I installed it. It adjusts flow based on speed, since it's driven by the air (wind) pressure of your bike moving down the road. The little reservoir only needs refilled after.... Well, I guess I don't keep close track. It's somewhere between hundreds and maybe a thousand or few miles.

If you want an auto-oiler, but haven't already bought, I suggest taking a look at the Motobriiz. I'm quite happy with it.

I have a Tutoro automatic oiler. I have it set where the chain looks moist. When the temps drop, I have to open it up a little more but that only takes a second or two. Since its warmed up I have been adding oil about two to three weeks.

Question when I was running to the VA HU I had it set with one full turn and I had residue on the rim and the license on the rear finder and used one full tank in 1500 miles (mostly 65 - 75 mph) . The chain was moist but I felt the excess was too much when I got back home and the residue had made the safety tag (just below the license and bottom of finder) hard to read. There was also oil residue on the backs of the givi side bags. I reduced it a 1/4 notch and hope the chain will still be moist, will see tomorrow as I work a MS150 ride as a marshal in Houston. I guess it just takes time to get it correct. I really do like the Tutoro oiler, even with the residue but would like to get it cleaner. People want ice water in Hell too so I'll live with it as want the chain to last. :)

I guess it just takes time to get it correct.

Yep, it took me a while to find the sweet spot. A full turn usually is a little too much for me, especially at highway speeds. I've settled on about 3/4 turn out with SAE30 oil, but obviously it'll depend on what type of oil you're using. This gets me a moist chain with very little fling on the wheel or license plate.

trey

Context:
I'm using a Tutoro oiler and have had a ScottOiler in the past.

I too look for a "shiny," appearance the majority of the time. The simplicity of an auto-oiler is this (among other things): constant lubrication verses the manual "ride and lubricate," which may potentially see a chain become less lubricated between sprays. I"m currently using 90 weight hypoid gear oil, as I find there's less fling.

On long trips the container I use to fill the Tutoro is much smaller than a can of chain lube, and it's readily available anywhere oil is used. Thus, I'm not taking up precious packing space.

Is it the best? who knows. But my chain is always lubricated, and I don't have to fuss with it when I"d rather ride, find a decent motel and a good restaurant.

Back