• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain Breaker & Riveting Tool

I don't have any experience with that one, but it's gotta be more durable than some of the others out there.
Some of the break on the first use.

PT _could_ be the brand on mine; I'd have to look. That said, I have a suspicion that several come out of the same building in SE Asia. The cheapie I have isn't one I'd probably want if I replaced rivet-type chains for a living, but for home use on a bike or two, it's completely adequate.

Thanks for the feedback guys. On the list of things to buy tomorrow.

Thanks for the grinding tip Krampus. Totally makes sense when you say it but I don't think I would have thought of it.

I bought the cheap Stockton tool that is often on sale at Cycle Gear. It looks similar to the OP's. It has worked fine the three or four times I replaced my chain.

FWIW I never grind the rivet head off. The leverage supplied by the tool is adequate to push the rivet out on smaller chains like ours.

Read the reviews on Amazon and other vendors.

There many mixed reviews of broken pins and other parts on most of these chain tools. Several users claim they were using the tool correctly ????? Who knows....? It's the Internet.

If your replacing the chain there really is no need to push the pin.........just cut the chain with cut off wheel on an angle grinder. A cheap chain breaker ($ 8-15) will also do the job. Some tool descriptions mention you need to grind the rivet head before pushing the pin to avoid tool damage. If your grinding the head...just cut the chain and be done. Cutting seems harsh but that's what the dealer will do to save time and hassle.

The more important part of chain replacing is getting the rivet right and the link side plate pressed ........on the new chain .....or ........heaven forbid use a clip master link ?????? Clips have been hashed and rehashed several times prior.

Last edited:
I use them darn Canadian dollars so the pricing is really close. If I have an issue I can test the local dealers service :) The inside of the kit is identical to the picture above.

I bought one, works well but you must take your time to line up the masher in the centre of the pin. To remove the chain I just use an angle grinder.

Back