• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Can you save me about $30,000? BMW shopping....

Still riding my nc. 45 min today and my hands are tingling bad. That's the biggest complaint right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What's the setup on your bars? Any risers or hand guards?

Still riding my nc. 45 min today and my hands are tingling bad. That's the biggest complaint right now

Have you changed anything? I have no vids when I had no risers, and no vibes with 2" risers... I've ridden 3 NC's and all were smooth.

I have stock bars with heated oem grips, barkbusters installed which changed the weights. And the new kaoko throttle lock.

I've read and looked at various solutions including foam grips (I use my heated grips a lot and concerned that insulating them will be an issue), barsnake (vibration damper). Haven't looked into riser change that seems a lot of work and not sure how to choose or go on those.

pprior:

Consider risers with anti-vibe in them.
Rox makes regular risers and those with anti-vibe.
I just added the 2 inch with anti-vibe and like them a lot.
The anti-vibe is a rubber washer added to reduce vibration.
I had the dealer throw it on and took maybe 30 minutes.
They told me it maxed out the length of the cables.
Could not go higher than 2 inches if it was wanted.
2" Pivoting Anti-Vibe Bar Risers for 7/8" OR 1 1/8" Handlebar – Rox Speed FX

In place of using the heated grips you might want to consider heated gloves.
Then you have quick, plug in, heated hands whenever you want.
This would allow you a more cushy grip.
This would also allow using them on any other bike with the plug in.
Trade your present machine in or buy a second, still have heated hands.

Some thoughts.

God bless and stay safe!!

Michael

Although I'm a little late on this post, after years on a succession of VFR's, I was thinking of a BMW RT as a more "adult" motorcycle. I arranged a rental at the local "Eagle Cycles" agency, went in and was thrilled I got a brand new RT1200 (2014 at the time). They wheeled it out and embarassed myself when I couldn't get it started. Figuring there was some BMW trick, I asked the man who brought it out if he would help me start it. He smiled and did everything I did and it still would not light. He then took it into the back where a technician pronounced that it needed to go back to the dealership. They brought out a second bike - this one with just 600 miles and it ran perfectly. So I took off for a nice day's ride - a nice mixture of slab and twisties. When I brought it back, the shop owner asked me how I liked the bike. I said it was great fun to ride, but wondered if the surge at freeway cruising speed was normal, and if having the grip heaters go on and off by themselves was expected. He said, "These are decent bikes, but in our experience, you'll be happier on your VFR. We see lots of reliability niggles with all of the BMW's." I asked a local independent shop owner for his judgment, since much of his work was on BMW's and he echoed the man from Eagle Cycles, saying that "You've really got to want a BMW to deal with their electronic issues." I bought a new VFR. Fast forward to this year and, although I still love the VFR, I wanted something with storage and with better visibility in traffic. I tried a maxi-scooter (Honda Silverwing) and could not stand the "rubber band" transmission. A month ago, I bought a new NC and could not be more pleased. The twin has a character similar to the RT at all sane speeds and the low CG (like the BMW boxer) makes it feel much lighter than its real weight. If you're looking for long distance capability with car-like features, I'd look at an ST1300, FJ1300 or a GL1800, or find a nice VFR1200 if you like something more sporty. As for me, the combination of the amazingly efficient NC for commuting and my VFR for longer distances seems perfect, and even with two bikes, I haven't broken $20k. OTOH, if I wanted comfort for a pillion, a two to four year old GL1800 makes a great ride.

Back