• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Can you save me about $30,000? BMW shopping....

pprior

Reaction score
Visit site
I've owned my black NC700x 2014 for 3 years now. Bought it after about 20 years of not riding. Really enjoyed getting back into motorcycles. Love the DCT. It's got enough power for me most times. Like the looks. I've added D2 denali lights which made it way better at night and changed my windscreen and added crash bars. Barkbusters on for a bit of the look and also for wind protection on cold days.

I've got these gripes:

1) bars are buzzy and after 30-45+ min of riding I get tingling in my hands when I get off. I hate this.
2) Wind buffeting is maddening. I'm 5'9" and unless I sit up real straight I get wind buffeting right at my helmet which makes riding tiresome and loud
3) 2-up my wife won't go with me because her back hurts after a short time and the top box has no lean against it padding or attachment.
4) no cruise control (really annoying on long rides)

I've been shopping the BMW motorcycle website for over a year. In the next week or two I'm probably going to end up at the dealer looking at a K1600GT or R1200RT (less likely the 1200GS/A) and once I do that I'll probably buy one. It's going to cost me a lot of money that I probably don't really need to be spending right now.

If I could fix the problems above I might hang on to my nc700x, just can't tell if I'm smitten with new bike fever and the beauty of those BMWs or if my could be fixed I'd be happy. I don't have a garage so my bike is stored outside under a cover (thinking about building a small lean to) so keeping two is not possible.

I think most of your issues can be solved for little above $1000.

Grip puppies for your vibrations. $20. And also you have barkbusters, did you take out the bar weights? You can install barkbusters with existing bar weights and you should if you took them out.

22 inch madstad windshield for wind buffering issue. $300

New seat and some pads for your top box. $600?!?!

Kaoko cruise control. $100

But if you got your mind set on a new bike, don't think any of us can help. Sucks you don't have a garage, it's probably a good thing. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you and you're wife are Lilliputians, pretty much no modifications are really going to make 2-up riding something realistic... at least not for any long trips. However, there are many, many options available to suit all these needs that are far south of the cost of a BMW.

An ST1300/FJR/Concourse would fit the bill quite nicely, and for a good bit under 20k. Or if you're stuck on the BMW, find a nice used one. I just saw a 2013 R1200RT on my local CL for $13k with ~ 20k miles on it. The thing was mint. Most BMW owners take excellent care of their machines too, so getting into a BMW doesn't require a visit to the dealer.

Edit: I checked again and was wrong... it's only got 8500 miles. Check this out: BMW R1200RT 2013

You could even find an "adventure" bike that's in the 1000 CC class. A VFR-X, Suzuki V-strom DL100, or Triumph Tiger are all options that are half the cost of a new BMW and, if properly farkled, would work out great based on what I think it is you're looking for.

BMW isn't the only game in town, they're just the most expensive.

Last edited:
Kumatae has most of that right, but OneGun is dead on about 2up. There just isn't enough room for two normal sized people on a NCX. There are some work arounds, the OEM topbox sits several inches closer to the rear seat than other brands. My wife likes the Corbin rear seat much better that stock and if I take off the OEM topbox and panniers she is pretty comfortable. But that rules out any long trips...

The NC700X will never be a two up luxury tourer. If that's what you seek, go buy one.

I ride with my wife on the back on our GL1800. I would not even think about asking her to ride as passenger on a bike like the NC700X. There is no comparison.

However I would also keep the NC700X or get something similar or smaller for solo riding. Handling a big beast can be tiring as well.

The NC700X will never be a two up luxury tourer. If that's what you seek, go buy one.

I ride with my wife on the back on our GL1800. I would not even think about asking her to ride as passenger on a bike like the NC700X. There is no comparison.

However I would also keep the NC700X or get something similar or smaller for solo riding. Handling a big beast can be tiring as well.
My wife is good with 3 to 4 hours on the back of the NC700X but I haven't had her on the back of a larger bike so she doesn't really know what she's missing, theoretically she does but I'm not ready to drop $15k-$20k for a motorcycle I'll use around a dozen times a year

If you want a BMW, go for it. Life is too short to ride the wrong motorcycle.

That said, go test ride a VFR 1200 DCT.
It is 600 pounds and uses more gas, but it has most of what you like about the NC700 and fixes a lot of what you don't like.

I also really liked the Versys 1000 I rode. Powerful, comfortable, smooth.

Last edited:
I paraphrased it. One of my friends has a sign that says "Life is too short to drink cheap wine."

Get the K1600GT...just make sure it is 2017 and not a 2016 so you get the newer design (including reverse!). I came off a 6 cylinder motorcycle (GL1800) and yes, I do miss the effortless cruising and POWER! Absolutely no comparison between the K1600 and NC, which is reflected in their respective prices.

I presume you have done your due diligence over on the K1600 forum and are fully aware of the reliability issues and are willing to make the switch for the performance and comfort.

Everyone plus the OP as made the case that one motorcycle is not enough.........if your goal is be comfortable in different types of riding.....especially two up.

What others have mentioned a ST1300 can be purchase for $3000-$5000 in perfect condition with relatively low miles.

As far a tingling or numbness the NC is not particularly buzzy...........but it has been discussed many times here and other forums that carpal tunnel issues and wrist angle (both up and down and side) can play a huge role in hand, wrist and arm discomfort. It would be a bummer to spend $20- $30k and the hand/wrist issue would not be solved.

Get the K1600GT...just make sure it is 2017 and not a 2016 so you get the newer design (including reverse!). I came off a 6 cylinder motorcycle (GL1800) and yes, I do miss the effortless cruising and POWER! Absolutely no comparison between the K1600 and NC, which is reflected in their respective prices.

Yes, get the K1600GT. In-line six cylinder German sports car on two wheels.

I presume you have done your due diligence over on the K1600 forum and are fully aware of the reliability issues and are willing to make the switch for the performance and comfort.

I'm assuming that if you can spring for the BMW you can managed the pick-up and delivery charges as well.

Last edited:
If you want a BMW, go for it. Life is too short to ride the wrong motorcycle.

That said, go test ride a VFR 1200 DCT.
It is 600 pounds and uses more gas, but it has most of what you like about the NC700 and fixes a lot of what you don't like.

I also really liked the Versys 1000 I rode. Powerful, comfortable, smooth.
+1
The VFR1200X also comes with DCT.
I don't see how you can shell out 30K and give that up.
BMW Gear Shift Assist Pro does not come close to DCT.
:D

Thanks for all the feedback. I think the cruise is the thing that is holding me back from the vfr1200. I just can't see buying a bike without it at this point. With all the hills I ride around here I don't see the throttle lock cruise as likely working well but I will research that more. The cruise and the space for my wife seems to be the biggest things I can't fix with the nc700x at this point and I think I'd rather give up DCT as much as I like it than a true cruise control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the feedback. I think the cruise is the thing that is holding me back from the vfr1200. I just can't see buying a bike without it at this point. With all the hills I ride around here I don't see the throttle lock cruise as likely working well but I will research that more.
One of Honda's more idiotic ideas is to limit cruise control to only the Gold Wing product line of motorcycles. I've been eyeballing the Yamaha Super Tenere and the BMW S1000RX, both with cruise control. Good thing I don't have any $$$ ;-)

Forget about a throttle lock when running up and down any grades, nevermind trying to keep a steady pace on hills with one.

Last edited:
They say you don't miss what you don't have so that might explain why I couldn't give a flip about electronic cruise on a motorcycle. I've ridden with different types of throttle locks all over the USA and I'm OK with the $20 Go Cruise. It works fine for me.

I respect one's desire to get electronic cruise control. However, I have electronic cruise on my GL1800. I almost never use it. I wouldn't even miss it if it wasn't there. I only use it once in awhile on some Interstates, when I happen to remember that I have it.

Last edited:
Having just done some major service work on a buddies BMW (a K1200GT actually), all I can say is; Don't freakin' buy one!.

I respect one's desire to get electronic cruise control. However, I have electronic cruise on my GL1800. I almost never use it. I wouldn't even miss it if it wasn't there. I only use it once in awhile on some Interstates, when I happen to remember that I have it.

I agree with this. I hardly ever use cruise on my goldwing unless I have the entire road to myself with no traffic.

My Kaoko throttle lock does just as good combined with the dct. I just hit the button to go to 5th going up hill, at top hit the button to go back into 6th.

I would never by an NC for 2 up riding. Get the BMW or a goldwing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back