• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Break in

Mine felt better not long after the first oil change, say around 1,000 miles. The mpg's went up, and most happily, the odd 3,000 rpm 6th gear pulsation thing that was bugging me seemed to disappear over night. *whew*

No doubt it's probably fully broken in by that point, but psychologically I never feel my bikes are truly settled in, until at least the third oil change and/or the first valve inspection. That's just me. I guess I'd never be too comfortable with one of Yamaha's 26,000 mile valve inspection bikes, lol.

When I put the scratch on it before leaving the dealership. Then it was broke in and mine. Always scratch your bike before leaving dealership, makes the bike your custom bike and no one has one like it. 12 hours later I went home and changed to oil and filter in the morning.8.jpg

SmileyPerfect.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say around 2000, I started to feel the engine starts to "loosen up". Just as LBS has mentioned about the 6th gear low RPM pulsation thing, mine went away about 2000 about then. As far as the actual break in process, I did take it easy in the first 600 miles and I did my best not to remain in one RPM for too long.

If the fuel mileage is the indicator, then mine broke in around 5000 miles, where the mpg went from consistent upper 70s to consistent lower 80s. However also during that time the rear tire has been wearing, introducing a percent or two more odometer error.

As for the feel of the bike, it felt loosened up after 1000 miles or so.

Greg

I guess I'd never be too comfortable with one of Yamaha's 26,000 mile valve inspection bikes, lol.
No worries there! I've checked the valve clearances twice on my 07 FJR1300 in the 76,000 miles I've put on it and they were still within spec. And the experience of many other owners show that they rarely need adjusting.

The NC700 should be much easier to check and adjust if they are out of spec. At the rate the wife is putting mileage on it, it'll be a few years before I need to do that check. ;)

After I changed the oil shortly after the 600 mile mark, I noticed it seemed to run better and had a little more kick to it. I really haven't reamed on it yet, never hit the rev limiter either, but I have pulled it through the gears up top a couple times.

If the fuel mileage is the indicator, then mine broke in around 5000 miles, where the mpg went from consistent upper 70s to consistent lower 80s. However also during that time the rear tire has been wearing, introducing a percent or two more odometer error.

As for the feel of the bike, it felt loosened up after 1000 miles or so.

Greg

I've only had my bike for about 400 miles.. but my first two fillups were ~ 62mpg.

80mpg?? Are you riding downhill both ways? That's awesome.

I'm really interested in this thread, too. Mine seems to run a little gruff. Almost like a dirty carb would feel, I think. But the dealer gave her a once-over before I left the lot so maybe that's just how it drives.

Celtsguy, You have the DCT. I got 62 my first couple of fill ups too. Expect to hover around the 65mpg mark once broken in. We loose a bit of efficiency due to the DCT. I don't know exactly why, but I suspect pumping loss for the hydraulics that operate the DCT system.

My best ever was 71.8 It was a 80F temp, and cruising at 45-50 MPH in the country, flat roads, and barely any stop signs, no traffic lights or traffic.

Back