• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bigger NCs ?

Uh...isn't that the Crosstour?
We don't get it in the US (big surprise :(

Quite close but not really!
The CrossTourer or VFR1200X got the shaft and engine size, but not the NC700x characteristics with low rev torque, low fuel consumption and the Touratech bags. Instead it got the old school kind of thirsty engine and some ridiculously expensive bags (about USD 4000 for the bags in your pic) that are not close to be as practical as they should and can be.

The NC to Honda is very important in that it is the first large scale mass production engine designed for efficiency instead of peak output of either horsepower or torque. They have nothing else like it. I have been hoping they build a bike the size of the ST1300 that delivered 55-65 mpg, weighed about 100 lbs less, integrated luggage, shaft or belt drive, good air management. I hope they do this and don't build one to compete in the current sport tourer segment with +/- 150 hp, electronic rider aids, 700+ lbs, and a price tag 3 or 4 times that of the NC700. At least the article says they will do it.

I owned an ST1300 for years, best running motorcycle engine ever built, IMO. I have ridden almost every bike imaginable, it was my job, and I never found a better bike. The NC is way cheaper and way better on gas, but a Crosstour or NC frame with an ST engine would be amazing. I wish we could get the Crosstour in the US, would have been on my list of bikes to try for sure. That said, I have really fallen for this little NC. It just does everything right. With the bags added and a few accessories, I would not even trade it for a new ST, it just does everything to well. Next accessory an NC700X tattoo!!!

I'll bet that little CRF250L single will have a difficult time making 60 mph! Will probably be a nice little trail bike though...

My 96 xr250l has little problem getting to and holding 70. That's plenty fast on knobbies! Since there is nothing offered here that has advantage over the 250 unless you go to the xr650l. Looking on honda's site the xr650l is only 26 lbs more than the crf250l. That make the 250 one heavy small bike

I'll bet that little CRF250L single will have a difficult time making 60 mph! Will probably be a nice little trail bike though...
If you gave me a bet you lost! :)
Up to 62 the bike went with no effort at all. Strong, torquey and impressive rapidly. I was wondering if it really was a 250! But the bike went on further! Up to 75 where it flattened out. At this speed the bike reminded me of what tires that was mounted as the stability was not the very best. I also drove in to the forrest, through muddy pit-holes where most of the wheels disappeared down in the slushy slab, but all went well. As it was a loaner I did hose the bike off before it got returned. That was a must! :)

The bike is impressive! As a 250 and at the price that is requested for it. Volume deliveries will be early 2013 and it is not impossible that I will add one in my garage.

Cute dog, Beemerphile. Since I'm laid up for the next 3.5 weeks, I'm going to try and train my NC700X to come when called. I bet I didn't buy a trainable NCX, though :confused: but I'm sure there are some talented ones out there. Nonetheless, my NCX is spoiled with her own roof over her head (wife won't let her in the house..says something about not being potty-trained), only the best food/fuel available, and loves to go out and run....

yes, see what pain meds do to ones' imagination?? :D

Don't forget, those 250's have a much lighter bottom end/Trans.

I know it's a little bigger than the 250, but my 450x would eat my 700x alive in a race.. And it will do 100.

yes, see what pain meds do to ones' imagination??

That reminded me of when my good friend had hip replacement surgery. I called him while he was still in the hospital to ask how everything went. He was so looped on his pain meds he stated emphatically, "if you don't need a new hip, don't have the surgery". I still laugh about that comment!

Here here quite agree happy with my NC700S as well and plan to keep it for 5 to 6 years as well.
I love my bike as it is. It fits me, and I'm not looking at getting anything bigger. I'm hoping after 5-6 years of ownership, when I think it is time to buy a new one, Honda will still have this style available (will be a BIG mistake if they don't...it got me into riding and I'm sure I'm not the only newbie that was needing something like this)

I find that I keep a motorcycle between 8-12 years because by the time I get it like I want it, it has been so much effort and expense that I shudder at the thought of starting over. That is, unless I admit a poor choice and sell it. In 45 years of riding, I have not had very many motorcycles. I believe that the NC is a "keeper".

My father rode motorcycles until he was 79 years old. If I am so fortunate, and the pattern holds, I will have one more motorcycle after this one.

Last edited:
Excellent comments, I hope manufacturers listen to consumers. Transalp was a cult bike in Europe, all over the continent Transalps everywhere..I do like the new Ducati Skyhook though

They say that the NC is 1/2 of a Jazz (Fit in the US) motor. What if they took 3/4 of a Jazz motor and made a 3-cylinder 1000cc bike? There have been quite a few triples in bike history and most of them were sweet motors. The K75 BMW was the smoothest of the K bikes. Everyone remembers the raucous Kawasaki triples, the water-cooled (and air-cooled) Suzuki triples, and the modern Triumphs.

What say ye? I'd take an enclosed belt drive. No-one has done that one yet. Maybe a Hybrid.

They already do, Beemerphile, take a good look at the specs for their 60hp outboard motor.... just the fit with 3 cylinders at 998 ccs they even talk about using fit technology in the motor in this page Honda BFP60 Power Thrust Outboard Engine, 60 hp specs and features

Pete

I find that I keep a motorcycle between 8-12 years because by the time I get it like I want it, it has been so much effort and expense that I shudder at the thought of starting over. That is, unless I admit a poor choice and sell it. In 45 years of riding, I have not had very many motorcycles. I believe that the NC is a "keeper".

My father rode motorcycles until he was 79 years old. If I am so fortunate, and the pattern holds, I will have one more motorcycle after this one.

May you have at least three more after this one!

Last edited:
Back