• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

bent fork sliding tube

XaeL

Reaction score
Visit site
This is my first post in this forum, so please pe patient with me :) also, English is not my native language and technical terms might sound weird

I crashed my 2013 NC 700 SA and slightly bent the upper lip of the right sliding tube (see photos). the fork seems to work properly, it does not leak any fork fluid,fork travel seems to be equal on both sides. i have a couple of questions:

1) can this be repaired without replacing the sliding tube?
2) where can i find a used right sliding tube or entire fork? since the model is quite recent, i found almost nothing on ebay and i don't know where else to look. a new sliding tube is quite expensive
3) on ebay i found a used NC 700 XA fork; any idea if it is compatible with the NC 700 SA?

thanks

Attachments

• 20170526_113015.jpg
    20170526_113015.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 20170526_113024.jpg
    20170526_113024.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 261
I am worried that the X is longer or has some other incompatibility.
The exact part, the sliding tube, seems to be found only on the S and on the CTX, according to my mechanic
However, the entire fork might be a suitable fit, i hope

I know the S ans X had different suspension lengths, but I can't remember if that was up front or on the back end.
I think they had the same rear shock and different forks, but don't quote me on that.

Do you know the year of the X fork you were looking at? I have an SA and would be happy to compare with a local owner to help out. Sorry to hear about your crash. I have had my own so appreciate your position.

The X is from 2012. I tried posting the ebay link but apparently that means that a mod must approve my post

I believe the X has longer travel suspension front and rear. I found out about the front when I got Andreani inners and found that I had lost travel compared to the original inners. I suspected that the Andreanis were built to suit both models. However I feel that this does not necessarily mean that the outer sliders are different in length in the two models. I suspect that the changes were internal with the damping units being longer and also the steel inner fork legs. I suggest that You take a measuring tape and make comparisons between the two sliders in your local shop or wherever you can compare both bikes. That may help you make the decision. I assume the diameter of the fork legs is the same but it would be best that you check that also. Have you tried checking part numbers ?

My mechanic cheched and the slider is common with the CTX. I didn't think to ask what i'm asking now.. to compare the NC S with the NC X and it will take a while until i get hold of him again

Major update: i found part codes on some site.. (google search result) motorcyclespareparts[dot]eu
Apparently the part number is the same for all nc models - 51420-MGS-D31. I'll check with a dealer on monday, it sounds a bit too good to be true

My guess is that the slider will be the same on the X and S models, but the fork tube may differ in length with the X possibly having a longer tube.

Pretty sure this part is the same. I recently compared all those part numbers of the front fork because I wanted to raise my CTX. The difference in height and travel is achieved by only three different parts per side. The spring itself, the distance tube above the spring and some inner part (the one with the holes in it).

Gesendet von meinem D5803 mit Tapatalk

yup, i cross-checked using a couple of sites. there are only three different part codes, the spring and two other internals. all the tubes are identical though

Last edited:
With an impact like that, the fork tube should be checked to see if it was bent. A pair of "V" blocks and a dial gauge is one of the ways to check. A bent tube can be straightened using 3 V blocks and a press, but it takes time and care to get it right.

The bike got wedged under a standard metal railing. The fork barely touched one of the metal posts of the railing - getting wedged really slowed it down.

I worked for years as a motorcycle mechanic. More than cosmetic damage was probably done to your front fork and it should carefully checked out. But, your bike, your business.

i am currently waiting for a NC700X fork and will replace all damaged parts from mine (i mean, a mechanic will replace them, not me personally). i am, however, quite optimistic that there will not be much to replace :)

Back