• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bar ends - how important are they?

jtkirk

Reaction score
Visit site
What the question says. The ends that bolt into the handlebar - how critical are they?

Why do I ask, you say? Because the idiots at the dealership where I purchased my bike put non-factory heated grips on the bike which they assured me were very good grips. Trouble is they sick way out past the end of the bar. Non throttle side is fine but on the throttle side they stacked at least 7 or 8 washers on top of each other on top of the bar end and ran the bolt through this into the handle bar. Trouble is that only a couple of threads were holding the entire mess on the bar and as the throttle was rotated back and forth the bar end began to work loose. I didn't notice anything was wrong until the bar end almost fell off into my hand as I was riding. I am afraid the threads in the bar are messed up because when I tried running the bolt in by itself it wouln't go more that a couple of turns at best.

I took said bolt into Fastenal Friday and ordered a new longer bolt. Was told it would be here today. Went to pick it up just now and was told to check back Wednesday. Grrr...

So, if I leave the bar end on the throttle side off is my throttle grip going to slide off or what?

Dealer I bought this from is around 400 miles away so as much as I want this to be warrantied I feel I'll have to fix this myself.

The bar end is not a retainer for the throttle. It adds mass to the handlebar end to dampen vibration.

You can chose to leave the weight off if you want, and see what the consequences are. If it were me, being a bit of a perfectionist, I would scrap the whole wrong size grip thing and start over with the proper sized grips.

Another option: Can you just reposition the brake master cylinder and throttle/switch assembly inward (more medial, in medical terms) to allow more room for the oversized grip, then reinstall the weight with the original hardware?

Greg

Last edited:
I would take it back to the dealer, show it to the service manager and give him the opportunity to make it right. No excuse for a dealer to be "jury-rigging" anything...

Last edited:
That sucks JT. I think I'd go with Oxford heated grips or factory. Being so far away from the dealer, I'd call and explain my frustration and threaten to return. Hope it works out.
Mike

I personally wouldn't go with a different size grip, but not because of the bar ends. I've removed my bar ends to fit some handguards and the vibration increase was non-existent. I was actually surprised and expected the vibration to increase, but it didn't.

If you feel comfortable with the dealer and the feel of the grips, you'll be fine without the bar ends. Personally, since we have the option of factory-fitting OEM heated grips, or any aftermarket under layment with stock grips, I'd do that. Just my 0.02c.

I was washing my bike and noticed my right hand bar end was gone. Ordered a new one. I didn't notice any difference whilst riding. Until reading this I thought they were just blank caps that didn't do anything. I wonder if it fell of because I got some Doctor Bike heated grips fitted and maybe the shop didn't put them on properly.

Back