• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Back pain

Fotosam

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone else getting a sharp pain in there upper back after about an hour of riding. Been trying to figure this problem out. Don't know if it's my riding position or just my old back.

magnesium supplements, massage sessions, regular physical exercising, proper riding position.
I can highly recommend trigger point massage work book, it helped me fixed all my pains :)

You riding at highway speed? Wind buffeting on this bike gave me an upper back ache initially, especially with the stock fly screen when I was in traffic.

Have you been riding a long time? If not the weight of your helmet may be enough to do it since this bike has you leaned forward just a bit.

Whenever I get high back pain, it's from tension. Low back pain (for me) is from the seat or (for others) a weak core and the seat.

Tension can come from several different reasons. Sunday I rode 500+ miles and I got tense in the first 50 miles from getting wet at 5:30 in the AM on a 0% chance of rain day. Got wet, got tense, and stayed that way.
Of course, tension can be from work, bills, relationships, a bad nights sleep, posture, handle bar position or the general ergos of you and the bike.

wildeone's recommendation of trigger point is a good one and works for me, also. You can carry a hard rubber ball (squash ball or la crosse ball) and take a break at a rest stop and lay on a pick nick table and work out the tension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3VLrdXWho

Tried different helmets. Put on the tallest screen I could find and still get the pain. It also hurts to turn my head once the pain starts. Then about 15 minutes off the bike it goes away.

I find that the upper back pain is from tension. To avoid this, I need to consciously keep my grip on the throttle loose because I tend to grip too tightly when riding in a spirited manner or in stressful traffic situations. Another important trick is to use the Master Yoda riding position (google it for more info) that emphasizes keeping your upper body loose and using your body core for support.

Be conscious of your ridding posture.Sometimes I get lazy,which isn't hard with the extra weight of a helmet,and find myself slumping a little.This will cause me upper back fatigue.
ridershandbook-49.jpg

I get between the shoulder blades upper back pain from two things- wearing a too heavy back pack, and tension.

Although my lower back is so screwed up, it's almost a relief to have the pain in a different spot, lol.

I wonder if the handle bar bend on bikes can unknowingly cause people grief, sometimes. I am very sensitive to the angle at which my wrists are, to a greater degree than if the bars are low, medium, or high. It can scrunch my shoulders inward or outward, depending on the angle back and/or down. I'm much more relaxed shoulder-wise, with a down and back sweep bar position.

The most comfortable bars I've ever ridden with, were the severe drop Clubman style bars I had on a few of my bikes years ago. My CBR125R with it's clip on bars slightly mimic that position, but are above the top triple clamp instead of below it. It's my daily commuter and is very comfy to ride.

there is disc in your back, when you have back pain is usually due to this disc compressing.

there is back exercises that one can do to strengthen your back. diet provide the proper nutrient to the body. and when you exercise this nutrients are fed to your bones and disc.

there is no substitute for exercise and proper diet . then better you feel then more you will enjoy your ride.... as you get old you will regret not doing it..... there is a point of no return

I had the same problem and in the same place. I'm 5'8" and 160 lbs and 58 years old. Seat mod, Rox 2" risers, highway pegs, Omni Cruise, and a Utopia back rest. Somewhere in all that mess and money the pain went away. I think the back rest was the best choice. Use it when I want and flip back when I don't.

, and a Utopia back rest. I think the back rest was the best choice. Use it when I want and flip back when I don't.
When I take a long trip and pack just right, I have a back rest. It really does wonders to have something to rest on .

Riding my 96 VFR 750 I was in a forward leaning position... I used to get pain between my shoulder blades on longer rides. I did a half dozen 900 mile rides though even with the pain.

My temporary solution was to start off taking one ibuprofen and then take one every couple of hours at each fuel stop. That helped a great deal.

I did go to a chiropractor and he helped some... but the problem came back in time and the best thing I have done for it so far is to start working out again. I feel it still some on the NCX but the better shape I am in the less I feel it.
I would try the message points, working out, diet for long term solutions. I still will probably take the ibuprofen on very long rides as a precaution. Pain riding long miles is no fun so an ounce of prevention goes a heck of a long way....

Lastly try to find a way to relieve stress before riding...especially long rides. It should be part of your getting prepared for a ride to do as many of these things as you can.. the longer the ride the more important.

Post back if you find something that works well for you.. I'm sure we all would benefit from any discoveries you make!

I keep thinking about getting one of these.. but then I remember I will no longer be able to swing my leg over the seat to mount (when the back seat/rack is not loaded) and I pause. Probably will get one eventually.... they do look quite comfy.

With a backrest you slid your leg though the seat, not lift leg over the entire set.

Open2.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same problem and in the same place. I'm 5'8" and 160 lbs and 58 years old. Seat mod, Rox 2" risers, highway pegs, Omni Cruise, and a Utopia back rest. Somewhere in all that mess and money the pain went away. I think the back rest was the best choice. Use it when I want and flip back when I don't.

Rox 2" risers did wonders for me. I'm also the same height, and near the same age, but add 100lbs. :)

About 15 years ago I was having the same issue when I went on a ride of any length. Before I set off on a ride from Baltimore to Seattle and back, I got one of those wide elastic "kidney belts" that the motocross guys use. It worked wonders for me, and it still does. Probably does about the same as a workout regimen would without putting down the beer and picking up the weights.

magnesium supplements, massage sessions, regular physical exercising, proper riding position.
I can highly recommend trigger point massage work book, it helped me fixed all my pains :)

If you start taking magnesium supplements better make sure you have some rest stops available on your rides. Magnesium has a way of working out more than just your tension if you know what I mean.

Back