• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anyone wear a Turtle 2 Vest? Where Did You Attach the Tether?

Rydinon

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear a Helite Turtle2 airbag vest as part of my ATGATT. Generally speaking, one wraps the Helite tether around the frame at the front of the seat and then brings the strap up between the tank and the front edge of the seat. Snap the tether to the vest and you are good to go. For those who are not familiar with the vest, a 60 lb pull on the vests lanyard is required to puncture the CO2 cartridge for inflation. The best location for the tether is front right since the vest's lanyard is just right of center.

Where did you attach the tether?

My '21NC has no visible frame in this area. It does have a piece called the Center Cross Plate (CCP)* immediately aft of the frunk. The front tongue of the seat fits into a pocket in the center of this plastic plate, and a rubber shield overlaps the CCP. If I wrap my tether around the right hand base of the CCP, it will distort the right hand flap of said rubber cover. I think this is part of the battery shield to keep water away from the fusebox, battery compartment. Can anyone confirm this? Any alternative anchor points for the tether?

*relax, this abbre. is not for the Chinese Communist Party

I can't help you but interested in learning more about your experience with the vest.
I have tested the vest twice. I ride a VStrom 650 that I lowered. It is still just a bit too tall for me, and top heavy, which is why I bought the NC750. I can tiptoe the VS, but have still gotten into trouble if I am not concentrating.

First test: I was participating in our mc club's 'scavenger hunt' for historical markers. I was riding thru a town near my home and saw one in front of an older church, so I aimed the bike toward the curb for angled parking. No traffic, virtually no cars on the street, which was fairly steeply crowned. As I approached the curb, I slowed and looked at the sign (bad move). As the bike came to a stop, I put down my right leg - oops, nothing there, and in slow mo, over I went. Lanyard popped the cartridge, and I was Mr. Michelin before I hit the ground. I had set up the vest per something I had read with one fist on my chest (over breastbone). The vest was too tight. Almost painfully so, and I struggled to get on my feet. Breathing was hard, and I popped the plastic clips, opening the vest. It is supposed to deflate in a few minutes, but I was suffering from acute embarrassment at my stupidity so I unscrewed the cartridge to delfate. Walked over, and got a selfie in front of the marker, and rode home.

Second test: This scavenger hunt again. I was riding along at very low speed looking for a city park tucked away off a dead end street...oops, pardon me, this was an upscale neighbohood - tucked away off a skull de cac. Again, very slow speed riding down virtually deserted streets. I approached a stop sign, slowed, and out of the corner of my eye, I spotted what looked like a big lawn down the road on my right. Started the turn, and hit the brakes for the stop. Wrong! Never try to stop with the handlebars turned. I was probably going 2 mph. Again, over I went. I had adjusted the vest after the first test for two fists (one over each breast), and this time I was not locked in a bear...er...vest hug. It was snug, but not painful. I bounced off the curb, stood up, and again looked around for witnesses. Not a soul in sight. Deflated the vest the same way, and rode down the street for a selfie at the park.

Not my test, but an acquaintance tripped his vest when he went over also at low speed at a mc club rally. I don't know the particulars, but he was complaining about having hurt himself in the tip over. Your arms are not protected by the vest, but I think his vest was too tight and the inflation and impact with the ground might have bruised him.

I wear a size Large-Long because I have a longish torso compared to my height. I was in between Large and L-L and went for the latter after trying on a friend's vest of this size. When inflated, there is a flap that protects well below my tailbone, and the collar supports my neck/helmet. No humor here, when inflated, I really feel protected - the michelin man image is nearly perfect. Yes, arms and legs are outside the vest's protection, but if it saves me from trauma to my torso, I won't complain about a broken leg or arm.

Epilogue, so to speak. My two tests happened in different years, and I won the 'scavenger hunt' each year. Prize was a check for $100 and a big engraved trophy (sort of like what they give the guys at the Indy 500). I cannot wait for the end of this year when I return the bowl (not the cash) for the next winner.

Addendum to above. Revzilla sold me the vest along with spare cartridges. Shortly thereafter, Revsilly stopped selling the carts. Their price had been, I think $29 and now one has to buy them from Helite USA for $35. Helite had been selling their carts to Revsilly but stopped. It took several calls to 'Silly over a few weeks before they 'fessed up and told me they would not be carrying the carts any more. Their customer service used to be fabulous, but since they were bought by another company, it has dropped quite a few notches imnsho.

Helite is aiming the vest towards equestrians and somewhat less toward mc riders.

I have tested the vest twice. I ride a VStrom 650 that I lowered. It is still just a bit too tall for me, and top heavy, which is why I bought the NC750. I can tiptoe the VS, but have still gotten into trouble if I am not concentrating.

First test: I was participating in our mc club's 'scavenger hunt' for historical markers. I was riding thru a town near my home and saw one in front of an older church, so I aimed the bike toward the curb for angled parking. No traffic, virtually no cars on the street, which was fairly steeply crowned. As I approached the curb, I slowed and looked at the sign (bad move). As the bike came to a stop, I put down my right leg - oops, nothing there, and in slow mo, over I went. Lanyard popped the cartridge, and I was Mr. Michelin before I hit the ground. I had set up the vest per something I had read with one fist on my chest (over breastbone). The vest was too tight. Almost painfully so, and I struggled to get on my feet. Breathing was hard, and I popped the plastic clips, opening the vest. It is supposed to deflate in a few minutes, but I was suffering from acute embarrassment at my stupidity so I unscrewed the cartridge to delfate. Walked over, and got a selfie in front of the marker, and rode home.

Second test: This scavenger hunt again. I was riding along at very low speed looking for a city park tucked away off a dead end street...oops, pardon me, this was an upscale neighbohood - tucked away off a skull de cac. Again, very slow speed riding down virtually deserted streets. I approached a stop sign, slowed, and out of the corner of my eye, I spotted what looked like a big lawn down the road on my right. Started the turn, and hit the brakes for the stop. Wrong! Never try to stop with the handlebars turned. I was probably going 2 mph. Again, over I went. I had adjusted the vest after the first test for two fists (one over each breast), and this time I was not locked in a bear...er...vest hug. It was snug, but not painful. I bounced off the curb, stood up, and again looked around for witnesses. Not a soul in sight. Deflated the vest the same way, and rode down the street for a selfie at the park.

Not my test, but an acquaintance tripped his vest when he went over also at low speed at a mc club rally. I don't know the particulars, but he was complaining about having hurt himself in the tip over. Your arms are not protected by the vest, but I think his vest was too tight and the inflation and impact with the ground might have bruised him.

I wear a size Large-Long because I have a longish torso compared to my height. I was in between Large and L-L and went for the latter after trying on a friend's vest of this size. When inflated, there is a flap that protects well below my tailbone, and the collar supports my neck/helmet. No humor here, when inflated, I really feel protected - the michelin man image is nearly perfect. Yes, arms and legs are outside the vest's protection, but if it saves me from trauma to my torso, I won't complain about a broken leg or arm.

Epilogue, so to speak. My two tests happened in different years, and I won the 'scavenger hunt' each year. Prize was a check for $100 and a big engraved trophy (sort of like what they give the guys at the Indy 500). I cannot wait for the end of this year when I return the bowl (not the cash) for the next winner.
Thanks very much for that! Very interesting and kind of entertaining at the expense of your low speed drops!

Addendum to above. Revzilla sold me the vest along with spare cartridges. Shortly thereafter, Revsilly stopped selling the carts. Their price had been, I think $29 and now one has to buy them from Helite USA for $35. Helite had been selling their carts to Revsilly but stopped. It took several calls to 'Silly over a few weeks before they 'fessed up and told me they would not be carrying the carts any more. Their customer service used to be fabulous, but since they were bought by another company, it has dropped quite a few notches imnsho.

Helite is aiming the vest towards equestrians and somewhat less toward mc riders.
I'm still a Revzilla fan. But yes; customer service was not as good after they sold. Still acceptable and better than most but not as good when it was a "mom & pop."

Very interesting and kind of entertaining at the expense of your low speed drops!
It was meant to be. Who wants a droll, boring report? One thing though, I think I might be over the embarrassment stage if I trip the vest again.

I happen to be a bit angry at 'Silly - hence the lack of respect for their name. I got a notice 3 weeks ago, and another this week saying my RevBucks expire if I don't use them (now in the next 5 or 6 days). WTF? I buy from them pretty much religiously - now, having lost $20 because I don't need anything from them, maybe never again.

Back