• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Helite e-Turtle 2 Vest

The Phoenix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For those of you with continuing interest I thought I would share some information about the long-awaited Helite e-Turtle (version 2) that I received today.
I'm 6 ft tall/205 lbs/44 chest/35 waist/32 inch inseam and purchased an XL. Of the size options I think I chose the correct size and will have enough adjustability to wear it over a variety of shirts and jackets. I also think the length is appropriate once worn over a shirt, etc.
Enclosed with the vest is an instruction manual and USB charging cable but no wall charger cube (5vdc) so if you do decide to purchase the e-Turtle hopefully you will have something available to plug in the cable.
Also enclosed is a large note "Please be sure to charge your vest upon delivery. Battery may be low due to transit time". I tried pushing the on button and didn't see anything until I found a plug and plugged it in and got the "orange charge light".
According to the manual (P.32) the vest requires 5 to 7 hours of optimal charging for full charging and the vest must be charged indoors. Whether that is due to the charging temperature requirements of 32F - 113F (0C - 45C) it doesn't say.
I was considering purchasing an portable charger (such as an Anker) but I will have to find out further information.
As far as I am aware there are no 60cc cartridges for the e-Turtle available in the US at this time, and Helite Moto has advised me that the fork sensor will not be available until next year.
I will update and share as I find out more.

Attachments

• Helite e-Turtle XL.jpg
    Helite e-Turtle XL.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
  • Helite e-Turtle USB power cord.jpg
    Helite e-Turtle USB power cord.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 19
  • e-Turtle Charge light.jpg
    e-Turtle Charge light.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 19
Learning more...
While trying to find 60cc CO2 cannisters for the e-turtle2 I realized that the cannister wiring has a different wiring connector than those sold, at least at fc-moto, which is where I downloaded the image. The CO2 cannister in the vest I received, e-60cc, has a connector that slides into a connector attached to the GPS/sensor device. The gg-60cc cannister, at least in the picture from fc-moto shows a single pin (if that's the correct terminology) connector. So for those of you also searching for replacement cannisters for their e-Turtle just a suggestion to check the connection of their cannister trigger wires.
Btw, it took me 6 hours to fully charge the vest yesterday.

- Norm -

Attachments

• e-turtle cannister connector.jpg
    e-turtle cannister connector.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
  • co2-e-kartusche-60cc_ml.jpg
    co2-e-kartusche-60cc_ml.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 10
“the vest must be charged indoors”. This may not be geared toward adventure riders. I’m out in the boonies, sleeping in a 1.5 man tent with no electricity, the bike is sitting outside in the rain. What indoors do I charge this in?

“the vest must be charged indoors”. This may not be geared toward adventure riders. I’m out in the boonies, sleeping in a 1.5 man tent with no electricity, the bike is sitting outside in the rain. What indoors do I charge this in?
670cc -
Before I received the e-turtle and read the manual my hope was to purchase an Anker portable charger which would allow me to recharge the vest while the bike and I huddle under a tent overnight. As I get more familiar with the vest I might approach testing this step-wise - the first being using the Anker to charge the vest indoors and hope for the best.
I wish I could give you a better answer than I did.
I would encourage anyone who might be interested in the e-Turtle v2 to see if they can get a .pdf of the manual and read the information and restrictions.
I'll check to see if there is one and post it in this thread. If not and there is enough interest I will copy the few pages and post.

- Norm -

I have the Helite Turtle 2 but the tethered version and I have no idea if it works or not but it got to the point of just remembering to click it in like a seat belt. It’s the worst when you realize you’re wearing a ~$700 piece of safety equipment that won’t even work when the occasion arises. But thankfully it’s become like 2nd nature like making sure my helmets secure.

Learning more...
While trying to find 60cc CO2 cannisters for the e-turtle2 I realized that the cannister wiring has a different wiring connector than those sold, at least at fc-moto, which is where I downloaded the image. The CO2 cannister in the vest I received, e-60cc, has a connector that slides into a connector attached to the GPS/sensor device. The gg-60cc cannister, at least in the picture from fc-moto shows a single pin (if that's the correct terminology) connector. So for those of you also searching for replacement cannisters for their e-Turtle just a suggestion to check the connection of their cannister trigger wires.
Btw, it took me 6 hours to fully charge the vest yesterday.

- Norm -
Thank you for this and your initial post! It would be great if the manufacturers could agree on a universal design for the Co2 cannisters and connections. Your weather is a little cooler up there than it is down here, so it might take some time, but I'm very interested in hearing more on your opinion regarding riding in warmer weather with this vest if it isn't too much trouble.

Thank you for this and your initial post! It would be great if the manufacturers could agree on a universal design for the Co2 cannisters and connections. Your weather is a little cooler up there than it is down here, so it might take some time, but I'm very interested in hearing more on your opinion regarding riding in warmer weather with this vest if it isn't too much trouble.
No trouble at all. Next week I anticipate a day mid-70's to 80 but I'm assuming that when you say "warm weather" you are referring to 85-95 degrees?
Until then let me share with you the inside lining which has a large amount of mesh to it. The sides of the vest are larger than I anticipated and I assume the sides, along with the 3 pairs of straps in the front will allow a relatively large amount of airflow. I hesitate to make that last comment because you know what they say about "assume".
I estimate that the total weight of the vest is about 4-4 1/2 lbs. How it feels to wearers I'm sure will be an individual thing but I would describe it as you know it's there but I (personally) do not find it overbearing or uncomfortable.
Let me know what temperature you want me to shoot for.....
-Norm-

Attachments

• e-Turtle inside lining.jpg
    e-Turtle inside lining.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
  • e-Turtle side openings.jpg
    e-Turtle side openings.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
No trouble at all. Next week I anticipate a day mid-70's to 80 but I'm assuming that when you say "warm weather" you are referring to 85-95 degrees?
Until then let me share with you the inside lining which has a large amount of mesh to it. The sides of the vest are larger than I anticipated and I assume the sides, along with the 3 pairs of straps in the front will allow a relatively large amount of airflow. I hesitate to make that last comment because you know what they say about "assume".
I estimate that the total weight of the vest is about 4-4 1/2 lbs. How it feels to wearers I'm sure will be an individual thing but I would describe it as you know it's there but I (personally) do not find it overbearing or uncomfortable.
Let me know what temperature you want me to shoot for.....
-Norm-
The 85 and above is what I am most interested in. Though this summer was hot, much of my riding is done in that 85 to 92 degree range. @the Ferret is certainly going to be curious about its performance in 40 degrees, raining, with the risk of hail and lightning (that is tongue in cheek because Ferret is a riding bulldog, and I am a prima donna). Thanks!

If the Ferret is a riding bulldog and you are a prima donna I fear where that would place me on the continuum.
I will probably be able to accommodate some description you described for the Ferret before the 85-95 degree range you identify.
I won't be riding for the better part of December but I estimate I'll be back on just in time for winter up here, which I always estimate to be January 21st of each year.
I'll keep my eyes out for conditions as requested.
-Norm-

Chronicle entry:
As I expected after a week of non-use I had to re-charge the battery before using the e-Turtle for the first time but only for a short period of time (1 1/2 hours) yesterday.
This morning it was 68 degrees and a very light wind. I wore a tank-top under a Klim tactical shirt with the e-Turtle over the shirt. It was very comfortable and relatively unnoticeable weight-wise. The ventilation through the sides of the vest was excellent. It was a relatively short ride and uneventful.
In the early afternoon I took the bike for a ride on a short highway ride - about 45 minutes each way. The wind picked up and I can almost say it was almost cold riding at highway speed with higher wind gusts however as previously noted the weight of the vest was unnoticeable and comfortable. I stopped to meet a friend for lunch but did not turn off the vest to get a sense of whether the vest does indeed "know" whether you are riding or not and I can attest that riding the bike - vest green light blinking, off the bike - no green light blinking, back on the bike - e-Turtle vest light blinking and assumedly functioning once again.
It appears from the latest weather report that I will be able to test the vest in 40s degree weather if I get up and out early enough tomorrow morning and will be able to provide some insight to @the Ferret and others who might ride in similar weather.

Chronicle entry:
Let me share that before moving to Florida my family and I lived a few years in Batavia, NY where one winter it was -40 degrees. That's burning cold and when you listen to the weather report and you hear that it has warmed up to -30 degrees it is warmer. We also lived for a time in Medina, OH, south of Cleveland. Many similarities - lake effect snow, potential of very cold temperatures, etc. So waking this morning to 50 degree weather/wind-chill of 45 degrees I dressed in my Klim tactical shirt, leather coat and e-Turtle vest over the coat. The only thing I had to do was adjust the 3 sets of straps to allow more room between the vest and coat. When wearing the vest the left side has velcro straps which you use to uncover each individual strap. In turn each strap is secured velcro which you loosen to allow more slack in the connector. I regret that the picture doesn't show the depth to which you can adjust the bottom (most) middle (second) and top (least) straps to allow more room for the vest over clothes; and conversely, to tighten the vest.
I didn't ride for as long as I anticipated - 20 minutes street/I-9B/I-295 and back again because, frankly, it was cold! But I will say that the reason I was cold was that I didn't optimally dress for the weather and I didn't close my jacket all the way up. The e-Turtle, again, was relatively unnoticeable in weight and operation and I have no doubt if dressed appropriately I would not have been as cold as I felt. Certainly the large armholes in the vest did not feel like it contributed to the cold and I believe that if fellow riders up north are already well learned dressing correctly (i.e. layers, appropriate jacket and other clothes, and closed to the elements) then adding the e-Turtle vest would not be encumbering at all. Still, in making those comments I realize we are all unique and may feel differently in our experiences but in my experiences thus far and opinion the e-Turtle continues to wear and serve well considering its pros and cons.
Sorry no lightning or hail this morning, just relatively cold for me

Attachments

• e-Turtle Adjustable Straps.jpg
    e-Turtle Adjustable Straps.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I have the Helite Turtle 2 but the tethered version and I have no idea if it works or not but it got to the point of just remembering to click it in like a seat belt. It’s the worst when you realize you’re wearing a ~$700 piece of safety equipment that won’t even work when the occasion arises. But thankfully it’s become like 2nd nature like making sure my helmets secure.
I also have the buckle Helite and am a huge proponent of it. I'm leary of the electronic version as Murphy and I are friends. In any case, I agree I hate when I forget to plug in and will always stop and do it. I feel naked without it. There are certainly scenarios where it won't save your life, but I'd say the majority of low sides and high sides where you go flying into the ground or bushes will be enormously safer with your neck and back protected by a Helite. To me they are essential equipment and a foolish economy to not wear one.

I also have the buckle Helite and am a huge proponent of it. I'm leary of the electronic version as Murphy and I are friends. In any case, I agree I hate when I forget to plug in and will always stop and do it. I feel naked without it. There are certainly scenarios where it won't save your life, but I'd say the majority of low sides and high sides where you go flying into the ground or bushes will be enormously safer with your neck and back protected by a Helite. To me they are essential equipment and a foolish economy to not wear one.
I can substantiate that it works when I fell off with the bike stationary (wrong gear, turning right, stall, followed by embarrassment as I was on my back waving my arms and legs, hence the name!). I had one off at very low speed trying to stop being 'T' boned by a lunatic. Again it worked, no injury, but thoroughly shaken up. If I was still riding I wouldn't ride without it! I don't like the idea of relying on electricity and having to remember to charge it up before every ride! How many hours does a charge last?

I can substantiate that it works when I fell off with the bike stationary (wrong gear, turning right, stall, followed by embarrassment as I was on my back waving my arms and legs, hence the name!). I had one off at very low speed trying to stop being 'T' boned by a lunatic. Again it worked, no injury, but thoroughly shaken up. If I was still riding I wouldn't ride without it! I don't like the idea of relying on electricity and having to remember to charge it up before every ride! How many hours does a charge last?
Glad you sound OK and hopefully no more than wounded pride!

I wholeheartedly agree with the general consensus that it's better to ride with protection than not whether it be the tethered air vest or the electronic e-Turtle or other forms of protecting yourself and possibly a passenger. After using the e-Turtle for a short time I see the pros and cons. Unless you can recharge the battery after approximately 1 week you're not going to have a working vest. Recently I learned that Helitemoto.com is selling recharge cannisters for the e-vest although they are considerably more expensive than the tethered version recharge cannisters. One of the reasons I chose to wait for the e-Turtle is the fork sensor, which presumably will be helpful in low mph crashes or when I am stopped and about to get rear-ended. That of course is yet to be seen and like others I am waiting for the fork sensor to be sold in the US.
Thus far with riding a minimum 2-3 hours a day a charge will last at least 1 week and similar to remembering to tethering a mechanical vest remembering to charge/plug in the e-Turtle becomes reflex.

Today I received an email from Helitemoto referencing a February 9, 2023 Web Bike World review of the e-Turtle v2 vest (Mark Kitaoka) where he describes recharging the vest using an Anker USB portable battery:

The 25-hour battery life got me thinking about multiple long-day rides…bike camping to be specific. A six-day, five-night trip riding 8 hours a day would theoretically deplete the CDU’s battery in three days. What I plan to do is take my little portable USB battery along with me. After three days of riding and I’m going to assume I’m not near AC power, I’d simply plug the CDU into my battery to charge it at night. Then plug my battery into the USB charge socket on my bike as I ride during the day. Using this method I could keep the CDU charged as long as I’m out on the road. I have also used a small solar panel that easily fits in my top box to charge my little battery…..

USB charge for Helite eTurtle 2 Airbag Vest

The 85 and above is what I am most interested in. Though this summer was hot, much of my riding is done in that 85 to 92 degree range. @the Ferret is certainly going to be curious about its performance in 40 degrees, raining, with the risk of hail and lightning (that is tongue in cheek because Ferret is a riding bulldog, and I am a prima donna). Thanks!
Well it took a little while but today hit 86 degrees up here - certainly earlier than I anticipated. I had to run some errands for my wife but it gave me the opportunity to ride and be able to make some comment on your interest of wearing the e-Turtle v2 in 85 degrees and above. On my upper torso I wore my Klim Tactical Shirt with the vest over it, no undershirt or tank top. I've been wearing the e-Turtle for some time now and I am certainly less conscious of it as far as any discomfort. I have to also say that between the obvious airflow of the tactical shirt and the large open sides of the e-Turtle it was a very comfortable ride. I have to temper my comments somewhat in that there was very low humidity if any this time of year so that did not become a consideration and that after a few months I have found the fit of the straps which works best for me. Similar to my feedback on the colder part of the temperature range it would seem that learning/finding what layers work best in a particular situation has a great impact on comfort, still the longer I wear it the less obvious it has been for wear the e-Turtle. Again I realize that each of us may have a different experience and determination.

Well it took a little while but today hit 86 degrees up here - certainly earlier than I anticipated. I had to run some errands for my wife but it gave me the opportunity to ride and be able to make some comment on your interest of wearing the e-Turtle v2 in 85 degrees and above. On my upper torso I wore my Klim Tactical Shirt with the vest over it, no undershirt or tank top. I've been wearing the e-Turtle for some time now and I am certainly less conscious of it as far as any discomfort. I have to also say that between the obvious airflow of the tactical shirt and the large open sides of the e-Turtle it was a very comfortable ride. I have to temper my comments somewhat in that there was very low humidity if any this time of year so that did not become a consideration and that after a few months I have found the fit of the straps which works best for me. Similar to my feedback on the colder part of the temperature range it would seem that learning/finding what layers work best in a particular situation has a great impact on comfort, still the longer I wear it the less obvious it has been for wear the e-Turtle. Again I realize that each of us may have a different experience and determination.
Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to write the response.

Back