• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anybody put on a PL14610 oil filter lately?

Garnet

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm due for an oil change soon and was about to order a PL14610 Purolator when I ran across a couple of posts on other MC forums. It seems that Puro has changed the design of the threaded base plate or the PL14610 so that the threads are much closer to the engine. As a result the threaded area of the base plate touches the engine on some bikes before the gasket is fully seated, causing a big leak.

Has anyone installed one of these new filters on an NC yet? :confused:

Seems like such a change could adversely impact a lot of cars, too, if it's true. That's the filter myHonda pickup takes.

I'll have to look at my NCX. I _believe_ I've put a Fram XG-7317 on it the past couple times...

I doubt that the change would affect the cars that the filter was designed to fit. Since we are using the an automotive filter on an application that it was not designed for, we must be responseable for our actions.

I have a PL14610 on the bike right now and will spin it off to see what style it is.

Just out of curiousity, do you change oil and filter so often that the Honda one is prohibitively expensive, or...?

I don't subscribe to the never ending debate on the whole oil filter good-better-best debacle/conspiracy thing, so have always just used OEM my entire life.

I change my oil and filter once per year if it's lucky, or at the recommended distance +/- and have never had any kind of oil related problem or wear/burning in 40+ years, so maybe that's influencing my take on the subject. If you are riding more than three oil changes per year mileage wise, or doing the (unnecessary waste of money and resources IMHO) changing of oil every three months old fashioned thinking kind of thing, I can see how that would add up in Canuck dollars.

While the OEM filter is a decent filter, from what I've seen of the inside of both the OEM and Pure One filter, I feel the Pure One is much better........ much much better. I would probably pay more for the Pure One than the OE.

But let's not turn this into an oil filter thread.

My second reason for questioning the fitment is, the PL14610 and PL14612 are recommended to fit on some of the threads on this site. If they no longer do fit, it needs to be noted so that someone new to NC ownership doesn't loose an engine.

I use the PL14612 on my NC and GL1800. I have 4 in my stock that were purchased at different times but they all look the same, as in the photo. They fit fine. Can you post or link a photo of the current design on the PL14610?

image.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I found on a Yamaha site:

17738d1433874043t-issues-purolator-pl14610-pureone-oil-filter-leaking-img_1082.jpg

Poor angle, but you can see marks around the threads where the base plate touched the engine before the gasket sealed.

The filter that's on my bike right now looks like 670's. I bought it a year ago.

I have to say ours looks like their example on the right, but I assume this issue is with installation on a Yamaha.

Last edited:
The last PL I bought looked like the one pictured on the right in the comparison photo.

If they changed anything more than slightly, I say it'd be a problem for the automotive applications.

Back