• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Any motorcycle snow tires out there?

TomInOregon

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried riding in to work yesterday with a couple of inches of snow on the ground and some that was still falling, but only made it a few blocks before I realized that I would never make it over the large hill on the way. Riding, turning and stopping was OK as long as I was smooth, but on even a slight incline, my rear tire couldn't get enough traction to get started from a stop. I have the Mitas MC60 Getaway rear (just recently put on) and TKC80 front with ~10K miles but plenty of tread left. Are there any dedicated Winter tires out there, short of adding ice studs? We don't get snow very often and it typically doesn't stick around long, but I would like to be able to reliably commute in it. I'm planning to work on technique as well. Any suggestions?

I agree hills are a nono ...but watch out for compacted ice ridges under fresh snow ,tips me off everytime ..and going down hill with only using feet for brakes is downright scary. I keep promising myself never ever do it again but here in Scotland I always get hit with the forecast saying 10% chance of snow shower aka 100% chance of blizzard. Still motorways in the snow is evil too ,cant see a thing but dare not slow down too much as no one else is ! Fishtailing into oncoming traffic doesn't do a whole lot for me either. Tbh I cant believe I am still alive ! Now strong wind and snow is a bumclenching category all of its own ,,I had a nice police landrover tailing me coming out of Inverness stopping traffic from overtaking me in a nasty strong sidewind blizzard ..could barely manage 20mph over Aviemore cos of having to lean into the wind on snow and being blinded ... I couldn't thank them enough.
I think I am saying its not worth the risk !

I've seen studded ice tires on motorcycles before. I _thought_ they were Nokian, or possibly Heidenau (sp?), but I haven't a clue whether they are or ever were available in N. America. One of my friends found studded bicycle tires, though, and put them on so he could still ride to work in the COLD part of Idaho through the winter.

I visited one of the snowiest cities in the world, Sapporo, Japan, and saw Japan Post (Post Office) delivery motorcycles operating in the snow. They use tire chains.

Back