• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Another seat thread...

Which seat

• Shad

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Sargent

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • other

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TwistedSS

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I want to order a seat for my NC today. I'm torn between the Sargent and the Shad. How about some recommendations? I'm a big guy, 6'1", 250lbs.

I'm 6' 235lb and the Sargeant is very comfortable. I've ridden that since last Fall on many 4-8 hour rides, and several multiday rides with no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried Sargent and Shad and neither worked for me. Sargent had a slightly odd shape for me and didn't fix the forward slope problem. I hear some guys use the Sargent with the Showkey slope mod.

Shad was great at first but after 5000 miles the soft foam crushed down and had me sinking into a pocket up by the frunk. I'm 5'8", 165 lbs. if you are big I would not recommend the Shad. Actually I think Seat Concepts might work for you. In the end it's whatever fits your butt.

I use a Saddlemen seat.

Last edited:
Sargent for me but I'm 150 lbs and 5'6". Not sure if these polls mean much when rider's vary so much in size and perception of comfort.

Not sure if these polls mean much when rider's vary so much in size and perception of comfort.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

I know a guy that did about 13,000 miles last summer in three weeks on the stock seat using nothing more than a pair of bicycle shorts and a $5 beaded seat cover from Walmart.

Never again ;-)

I'm finding out seats are a lot like windscreens....what works for one rider is horrible for someone else.

How about a custom made seat designed just for you? Try a Russell Day Long and I've heard you will never go back to any other seat. Front portion only is about $350 plus shipping your pan out to them and paying for shipment back. I plan on doing that this Winter while the bike is down for the season.

Day-Long | Motorcycle Seats | Russell Cycle

Ok, you "other" guys- what's your recommendation?

I'm 5'9" and about 190 lbs. I just got a Seat Concepts seat about 2 months ago. Went on a 3,000 mile ride from Michigan to Wyoming and back 2 weeks ago. Extremely happy with the SC seat... no complaints. It isn't, however, ultra-soft/cushy, but the way it's shaped takes all the pain out of your backside. Like I and others have said, with the SC seat, you're not even aware of the seat... in the 3,000 miles I just put on it, never once did I think to myself that I'd ever need anything else.

Cheapest option too, I believe.

6'3" 205. Sargent is an improvement and seemed to fix the forward slide for me. I have not tried Shad.
The Airhawk r pad actually does more for comfort than the expensive seat, at least for me.
Plus the Airhawk allows you to move around more, and you increase or decrease the amount of air in it to change how it feels.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

I know a guy that did about 13,000 miles last summer in three weeks on the stock seat using nothing more than a pair of bicycle shorts and a $5 beaded seat cover from Walmart.

Never again ;-)

I'm finding out seats are a lot like windscreens....what works for one rider is horrible for someone else.

How about a custom made seat designed just for you? Try a Russell Day Long and I've heard you will never go back to any other seat. Front portion only is about $350 plus shipping your pan out to them and paying for shipment back. I plan on doing that this Winter while the bike is down for the season.

Day-Long | Motorcycle Seats | Russell Cycle
I love my Russell Day Long seat! I tried the Seat Concepts but it wasn't enough, better than stock though just not good enough for me. So I splurged on the Russell front and back seats. It's great. For reference I am a heavier rider I guess weighing in at about 250 lbs. The Russell is taller though to give you the comfort as they add more material to the base. So after mounting a new shock sprung for my weight and the new seat I had to lower my NC so I could at least make contact with both feet on the ground. I can ALMOST flat foot both feet now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Being "inseam challenged" at 30 inches, my choices for seats were quite limited. I went with the Seat Concepts low version. Works fine for me but as OneGun stated the SC isn't super cushy, especially the low version which uses firmer foam than the standard one. But I don't think about it while riding and that's what I was hoping for. If I had no flat footing issues I might have splurged on a Russell Day Long.

I have the Shad seat and like it alot. I'm 6'3" and 200lbs with a 36in inseam. As the other posters pointed out, seats and windshield comfort is a very personal thing.

I went for the Sargent, mainly for price. I have put about 200 miles on it with 100 being the longest ride. It works fine for me, I use padded bicycle riding shorts underneath and it is an improvement over the OEM. If money were no object I would probably go with the Russell Day long, but being what other things I want to add to the bike I settled for the Sargent. I am six foot with a 32 inch inseam and have no trouble flatfooting.
I do plan to use an Airhawk because all the reviews I read about them people are ecstatic about how it feels. In addition I can use it on my other bikes as well.
Good luck and if you can wait, watch the classifieds on the forum because occasionally a deal comes along. Just recently someone was selling a Corbin for $150. That was a good price. I have had corbins in the past and have one now on a Kawa W650 and I like it. Good luck and just don't rush into a purchase.

I must be lucky. My 180 pound 5'9" body with 30" legs fits the stock seat perfectly. No issues whatsoever.:)
First bike I've EVER had where this has happened.
Windshield, OTOH is a totally different tale.:mad:
I guess you just can't have it all.

I'm 5'9" and about 190 lbs. I just got a Seat Concepts seat about 2 months ago. Went on a 3,000 mile ride from Michigan to Wyoming and back 2 weeks ago. Extremely happy with the SC seat... no complaints. It isn't, however, ultra-soft/cushy, but the way it's shaped takes all the pain out of your backside. Like I and others have said, with the SC seat, you're not even aware of the seat... in the 3,000 miles I just put on it, never once did I think to myself that I'd ever need anything else.

Cheapest option too, I believe.

Thanks for that... Just ordered mine, I hope I'll love it too :)

I had Eddie Copeland (Deal Gaps [Marysville]) form my seat and my daughter did the upholstrey.

They should start a business together :)
Kidding, I finally dropped the idea of getting an easy access to the tank for now and ordered a full (2 pieces) Seat Concepts seat... Then I'll deal with the tank when/if I get tired with the issue... Maybe having the new seat cut and re-sewn the way yours was done. Back rest was a nice option, I'll see later too... Maybe a bunch of bags in my back will serve in the meantime :)

Last edited:
Back