• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Am I alone on this?

Am I the only one that bought this thing for personal fit, comfort, brand, and looks?

No, the mileage was not the most important for me either. It was the "look" that got meinterested, and then the engine design.
I was looking for something easy to maintain with a long life expectancy.
I wanted a BMW, this was as close as I'm ever going to get.

Ronsaw, thanks for starting what has been a very interesting thread. Although my 750X is covered in the 'farkle-itis' rash, I honestly can't disagree with anything that anybody else has posted. As others have already said, I guess that's a fine tribute to the versatility of bike itself and the job that Honda have done.

Playing catch up on reading all the posts from this weekend. Just saw this one. I've told my story several times in here so I'll keep it short this time but basically I didn't even go to buy the NC when I went to the dealer. I talked myself into the purchase primarily based off how good this bike would be to commute. The bike already had several farkles but the farkles that drew me to the bike were the top case and saddle bags. I knew I'd be riding through the winter and storage would be a necessity. The riding position was the next thing that sold me on the bike. I thought the frunk was cool and the fuel economy was a major plus but they had nothing to do with my decision. I did not even take the bike for a test ride.

Your reliability comment. I hate to admit this but I bought a Kantana (can of tuna) in the early 90's and owned it for 6 months. Due to several problems and the weight and lack of power she went bye bye. I went back to Honda and have bought nothing else since.

Your looks comment. If they offered the S in the US I would have bought that. I'm not to keen on the beak but overall I like the looks of the bike. Don't get me wrong. I love this bike for what it is. I'm very glad I own it and serves me well commuting to work everyday.

Nice bike, Ronsaw! I've got one sitting in the garage just like it except I got shortchanged a clutch lever on mine. ;)

After years of riding on the back on my FJR1300, my wife decided to get her own ride. She learned on a 600cc Honda Shadow cruiser, but wanted something new with more power and better looks. I'm really glad she picked the NC700XD because I think it looks great and was something I would also want to ride. We both love the bike.

I did immediately mod it for her with lowering links so she can get more foot down on the ground. And I also added crash bars to protect the engine/plastics in case she dumps it. And of course she knows I have heated grips on my FJR, so she had to have them on the NC. Heated grips are VERY nice to have when you get caught out late and it gets cold (or you're crazy like me and head out with temps around freezing).

I also got the factory sidebags and trunk for when we do on multi day trips. The nice thing about the bags/trunk is that they can be pulled in seconds and the bike still looks nice with them off.

Then there's wind management for long trips. If we were just riding around town on short trips or with lots of breaks, then the factory fly screen would be fine. But if you're on the road all day at freeway speeds, the constant wind blast is very fatigueing. There's a Puig shield on there now and it will remain to be seen if she's happy with that. It doesn't work for me, but I'm not the primary rider so I'll wait for her to get more miles in before we decide on something different.

And there's one more item that's needed for safety. I've noticed a difference in cars seeing my FJR better than the NC and I believe it has to do with dual headlights on the FJR. So a set of LED driving lights are going to get installed on the crash bar of the NC to provide a triangle of lights to make it more visible.

Nothing wrong with keeping a bike bone stock, but I just find that I have this irresistable urge to improve on things and make them better/stronger/safer/more convenient.

Hey guys, I'm looking t getting a 2012 NC700. Going back to the dealer tomorrow to see what kind of deal I manage.
Is there a sticky somewhere that describes the difference between all these models?

Interesting reading here!

COLOR.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Color and with the 2012 you have to make some cuts in the tail pieces for the Honda Luggage racks but not with the 2013+ years. Not sure if the same holds true for after-market luggage racks on the 2012.

Color and with the 2012 you have to make some cuts in the tail pieces for the Honda Luggage racks but not with the 2013+ years. Not sure if the same holds true for after-market luggage racks on the 2012.

Since no aftermarket luggage relies on the Honda specific rear rack brackets, the need to cut the 2012 tail pieces does not apply. Aftermarket items fit 2012-2014 all the same.

It's odd that the official Honda accessory requires the panel modification (on the 2012).

Last edited:
That is odd.
I already have some Nelson Rigg CL-950 saddle bags and a 40 ltr. Adventure bag from same vendor. I just needs a bike that will get me in the woods!

BTW- I'm 6'2" . One of reasons I like the V-Strom is the height of the seat. The NC700 was not quite as high but still felt a good comfortable height. How does this bike fit taller riders for a long haul? (Comfort wise)

I disagree with some of the posters that said they think it is butt ugly. I like it's looks!

Yea, I wasn't to happy about that when I saw the hatchet job the dealer did when installing mine. The bike came with them from the dealer and I didn't notice that until after I had it home.

That is odd.
I already have some Nelson Rigg CL-950 saddle bags and a 40 ltr. Adventure bag from same vendor. I just needs a bike that will get me in the woods!

BTW- I'm 6'2" . One of reasons I like the V-Strom is the height of the seat. The NC700 was not quite as high but still felt a good comfortable height. How does this bike fit taller riders for a long haul? (Comfort wise)

I disagree with some of the posters that said they think it is butt ugly. I like it's looks!

No problem with seat height here. I'm 6'4". Just did the "seat slope mod" - there is a thread on this - yesterday, raised it about a three-quarter inch. So far, have done ok with the seat comfort, other than moving forward. That should change after the mod.

Last edited:
I looked around also (vstrom, bmw gs, versys) and chose the NC700x.
To me the looks were all similar in a way, but the honda did look the best in my opinion.
Also, when I sat on her. She fit.
I wanted an easy to ride bike. I was also been out of riding for a long time (since high school till last year).
So the NC fit the bill.
One overwhelming factor was the dct. No other manufacturer had it.
Now, I commute to work almost everyday. Mileage is a plus, not really expecting much, but its good to have excellent mileage.

At first, the wind bothered me. After some time with the bike, the wind is less problematic. Just need to get used to it.
You will adjust.
I did get givi top case and side cases. I put LED (left/right/driving lights) on the top case. Also some denali lights for the front.
Reflective red rim tape and sw motor guards.

Thinking about hand guards and heated grips...

I love my bike (also in red),
Ken

Last edited:
I'm going to do the seat raise in the front, too. ronsaw.

I never answered the original question. What drew me to it in the first place was the looks. I was looking a V-stroms at the Suzuki dealership and checking out the "adventure" bikes. I saw my NC sitting alone - because it was a "dirty Honda" in a Suzuki dealership.
Went over and sat on it. Liked the height. Liked the looks. Loved the price!

I came here before I bought it and liked the atmosphere and what was being said about the NC. This a great site with friendly people that I can't wait to meet!

Farkles- yes, as I can afford them. This bike will be mine. I will ride Nancy!

I'm cheap. I had a bike that got 50 mpg when ridden sanely. Troubling part was I was doing less and less of that. Not quite the 150 on the Ninja but getting that way. Subscribe to four bike mags and Rider and Cycle World both had cover stories about the X at the same time in 2012. Rated at 66 mpg. Probably 70+mpg with a little effort... hmmm... Did I mention I'm cheap? Finally pulled the trigger about a year later. 2012 only came in silver and black, which suits me just fine (go Raiders!). Ergos were better than on the bike I had, really like the styling, and the dealer had one with the factory bags already installed. Thought about the accent panels but I like the all black look. Add centerstand and heated grips (essential gear IMHO) and was done. Love the bike and the storage space in the combined frunk/saddlebags is awesome! The amount of stuff that can be crammed into it is unreal. Eventually some barkbusters and perhaps bar risers and different windscreen in the future.

I mounted bar end bark busters on mine Mainly to hold up my Hippo Hands i use in the winter, no need for heated grips. Have heated vest & gloves keeps my hands toasty.

I guess it comes to no surprise that we're not only buying a bike considering features on paper, but we also need to like its look :)
I'm with you on this one, ronsaw, I think the stock NC is very pretty.

That said, I like how my Puig windscreen and rear mudguard added to the package. IMHO, these were the only parts for that bike that didn't take away its character, but added to it instead.
Still, it's all a matter of taste and I certainly respect if someone decides to mod their NC heavily. In the end, it's all about having fun from owning and riding your NC :)

I think they are really good looking - much better looking than my vstrom. They even look almost as cool as a few of my sport bikes did, and light years more practical and comfortable.

I had no choice but to put a taller wind screen on though

You should get a fender eliminator kit if you like them bare :cool:

Back