• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Am I alone on this?

ronsaw

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I've had my NC700X for a week now. Have been on two rides. This was after a sixteen year "out of motorcycling" phase to raise two children and married (good!) life taking over. I started on an '93 Intruder 1400, then rode with a group that was more sporting - and traded for a '95 GPZ1100 (great bike, still wish I had). Then I just had to have a Ninja ZX9R after the GPZ. So - I've had the cruiser, been 155 on the Ninja (130 two-up with my wife) - then away it went, and time to grow up. Hindsight being what it is, I did some foolish things and was lucky.

Now a bit older (and I think wiser), I actually did some research and decided that to get back into motorcycling, I would get a new (2012 still new in showroom) Ninja 1000. A gentleman's sport bike. Price was right, the hurdle with the Mrs. was achieved, perfect! Well, I knew before riding it that there was no way. Not comfortable any more, did not "feel" right, and honestly, I knew, way too much bike than this 42 y/o will ever come close to needing. I still did want a sporty bike that handled, but looked nice, while not having necessarily the full-on adventure look.

Then, I saw it. After sitting on VStroms, Versys', and many others, I saw the NC700X. I thought it was beautiful to actually see in person (again, I had been researching for some time). I threw a leg over - there it was - perfect. Simple yet nice layout, cool storage, low COG, and red to boot (kick up the sporty factor just a bit). Plus, you have Honda quality and fit as well. The dealer also had one in silver, set up with cases - but just not for me - not at this point, anyway. It looks like I may, in time, get my wife back on - and several years down the road, could see us touring on something like an FJR1300.

After negotiating a deal and taking delivery, I could not be happier with this motorcycle. Perfect for riding again. She will do anything you ask, smooth and forgiving. Plenty for what I want and need. I think I will be very happy for a long time.

Alright - here is my question. Please don't anyone take offense to this. Am I the only one that bought this thing for personal fit, comfort, brand, and looks? I honestly didn't really consider fuel economy in this decision. Living in Western Wa., I will not be riding/commuting all year - certainly plenty in the summer, and nice days throughout the year. I don't really plan on accessorizing very much. I want to keep it "clean" and maybe change pegs / exhaust down the road. I did order a center stand - actually my wife's idea. I actually want to keep the NC looking more like a sport(y) bike and using it that way (commuting occasionally, weekend day rides). I plan on keeping the short windshield installed too, in the low position. I just think it looks sexy more bare - not cafe-racer bare, but you get the idea.

Again, I know many of you have dressed your NC's out - I don't want to offend. I think it is great that the bike is so versatile and enjoy seeing other members' rides and ingenuity. But are there any of you out there that enjoy the clean, sporty look of your NC more bare? I really think Honda did a great job overall on this one. My wife's take? "It's a good red. You don't want a bad red". Thanks, babe.

Appreciate your feedback. Ride safe - thanks guys.

Attachments

• Honda III.jpg
    Honda III.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,379
So I've had my NC700X for a week now. Have been on two rides. This was after a sixteen year "out of motorcycling" phase to raise two children and married (good!) life taking over. I started on an '93 Intruder 1400, then rode with a group that was more sporting - and traded for a '95 GPZ1100 (great bike, still wish I had). Then I just had to have a Ninja ZX9R after the GPZ. So - I've had the cruiser, been 155 on the Ninja (130 two-up with my wife) - then away it went, and time to grow up. Hindsight being what it is, I did some foolish things and was lucky.

Now a bit older (and I think wiser), I actually did some research and decided that to get back into motorcycling, I would get a new (2012 still new in showroom) Ninja 1000. A gentleman's sport bike. Price was right, the hurdle with the Mrs. was achieved, perfect! Well, I knew before riding it that there was no way. Not comfortable any more, did not "feel" right, and honestly, I knew, way too much bike than this 42 y/o will ever come close to needing. I still did want a sporty bike that handled, but looked nice, while not having necessarily the full-on adventure look.

Then, I saw it. After sitting on VStroms, Versys', and many others, I saw the NC700X. I thought it was beautiful to actually see in person (again, I had been researching for some time). I threw a leg over - there it was - perfect. Simple yet nice layout, cool storage, low COG, and red to boot (kick up the sporty factor just a bit). Plus, you have Honda quality and fit as well. The dealer also had one in silver, set up with cases - but just not for me - not at this point, anyway. It looks like I may, in time, get my wife back on - and several years down the road, could see us touring on something like an FJR1300.

After negotiating a deal and taking delivery, I could not be happier with this motorcycle. Perfect for riding again. She will do anything you ask, smooth and forgiving. Plenty for what I want and need. I think I will be very happy for a long time.

Alright - here is my question. Please don't anyone take offense to this. Am I the only one that bought this thing for personal fit, comfort, brand, and looks? I honestly didn't really consider fuel economy in this decision. Living in Western Wa., I will not be riding/commuting all year - certainly plenty in the summer, and nice days throughout the year. I don't really plan on accessorizing very much. I want to keep it "clean" and maybe change pegs / exhaust down the road. I did order a center stand - actually my wife's idea. I actually want to keep the NC looking more like a sport(y) bike and using it that way (commuting occasionally, weekend day rides). I plan on keeping the short windshield installed too, in the low position. I just think it looks sexy more bare - not cafe-racer bare, but you get the idea.

Again, I know many of you have dressed your NC's out - I don't want to offend. I think it is great that the bike is so versatile and enjoy seeing other members' rides and ingenuity. But are there any of you out there that enjoy the clean, sporty look of your NC more bare? I really think Honda did a great job overall on this one. My wife's take? "It's a good red. You don't want a bad red". Thanks, babe.

Appreciate your feedback. Ride safe - thanks guys.

The beauty of the NC7 is that it is so many things to so many folks. It is a motorcycle that you make it what you want it to be. The NC7 is what you make it!6.jpg

SmileyHug.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I posted yesterday that I found the comfortable riding position and all my farkle plans – seat replacement, raised bar, lowered pegs – went right out the window. My silver 2012 came with the OEM saddlebags and lightbar. Grip puppies are now a maybe, though bicycle handlebar tape will probably be adequate. Lowered pegs are still on the table. I'm 6'2" and thin. At this stage, I am only using the front of the saddle and sitting very relaxed with a straight or slightly arched back leaning forward.

Though I bought it for the mileage and storage, I am quickly becoming a convert to the ergonomics.

ken

I can't leave well enough alone! I think it's called "Farkle-itis" or something like that. I bought my bike used and it was bone stock except for the rear tire hugger. I like to personalize my bikes and have gone on to add other accessories and comforts. The previous owner, a friend of mine, was perfectly content leaving the bike alone for the most part.

Good post Ronsaw and welcome back to riding. I took a similar break from riding at one time for similar reasons. Anyhow, I bought the NCX for my wife and I can honestly say fuel mileage never came into the equation for consideration. After seeing her struggle to get the hang of manual shifting I knew that the only way both she (and I) would be very comfortable would be to get her something with an auto-transmission. We considered both scooters and the very few other models that have an automatic transmission. Aprilia was ruled out early as were scooters which basically left us with Honda. I have owned several Honda's and they have all been great bikes so the brand was not an issue. We ended up the NCX quite frankly because it fit her tall frame better than the other Honda models which are more of a cruiser style.

I have dressed it up for her quite a bit though both for extra safety and comfort. I don't personally have a problem with the "stock" look of the bike and frankly she probably wouldn't have said a word had I just left it stock but I know from my years of riding what makes the ride more comfy and safe and also I just really enjoy adding stuff but my FJR doesn't really need anything else so I was living vicariously through farkling her bike. Now that riding season is here again I am sure this will continue as she starts to give me feedback on other potential issues like whether the windshield and seat are adequate as well as whether handlebar risers might be in order. These are things I can't determine for her.

I agree, the plainer my NC is the better IMO. I love the look to it as it is! Besides the rear rack and maybe a Givi windscreen, I do not plan on making any changes to the appearance. It is a good looking bike and I see that you bought the SUPERIOR red version like I did :p

It does look good naked,have to agree with u.I put things on to make it better for me.but I also am not going all out,I like it the way it is.I only wish I had red but it wasn't out yet when I got mine.

Welcome back to riding.
I actually think the NC is god-awful ugly. She's grown on me though. My main reasons for going with the NC were also ergonomics and weight/COG. I started off with a Shadow because it was cheap. That bike was a lumbering beast. I wanted something a little more fun, but I needed an upright position due to carpal tunnel and tendonitis. Full on touring bikes were out because I'm still a fairly new rider and didn't want to worry about ruining a bunch of tupperware, and most adventure bikes were too top heavy. The NC fit my needs better than any of the other bikes out there, but needed more. Taller windshield, seat upgrade, risers - I've done a ton more to her (though not as much as some others) to make her fit me better and to do a wider variety of stuff with her.

Yes and I agree the "original" look and finishing was already way above the dollars paid for this beauty.
This bike is also a direct result of the GS-success where people want to "look" offroad while maintaining sane riding habits.
The first thing that took me was the looks.
Then the specs.
Then the ride.

The killer bait was...the price. It was just too darn cheap for this with Linked brakes, ABS and Frunk.

Welcome back to riding! Yes, I agree the NC700X has a lot going for it. Just as Happy had mentioned, it took a lot of aesthetic cues from the GS/dual sports. IMO, I think Honda did a pretty good job (relative to its price range and competitors). I think I had also fell for its looks and ergo/comfort for commuting. in the end, it was the price that sealed the deal. I don't think you can find a bike that offers so much for the money. The MPG is just the icing on the cake.

I am also in W. Washington. Since I got the NCX, I have acclimated to the wet weather and started commuting year round. I think I missed a handful of days this past winter due to extreme cold and wet weather. Otherwise, the NCX did great, with the aid of handguards and tall windshield. heated grips are on the way.

Enjoy the dry and warm riding season that's just around the corner. :cool:

"The beauty of the NC7 is that it is so many things to so many folks." I think that sums it up right there. Very well put.

I also do not mean to ruffle feathers, but I bought my NCX despite it's looks...

This isn't to say I find the bike hideous to behold of course, lol, but I did love it for all of it's separate bits, which when combined, make an awesome overall product, almost tailor made just for me, at this point in my biking career.

I don't find it's appearance of any particular drawback, thank heavens!

This bike I didn't get for lust, or power, or excitement, or looks, or sportiness, but contrary to that statement, neither did I get it with a dry and passionless attitude of a spec sheet list, strictly for some dull utilitarian duty, with zero affection given.

I'm another who finds it ugly.

Ugly the first time I saw one. Ugly when I bought it. Still ugly two years later.

When I first saw them on the road, I would marvel, "Who on earth would buy such an ugly turd as that?"

Then I had a chance to take a test ride, and did so, mostly thinking I could use the experience to rag on it online. Instead, I got off and placed an order for one.

I will never understand how anyone in his right mind can find the X visually appealing.

It does kind look like a duck when viewed from the side. But it sounds so wonderful, has great gas mileage and is easy on my bad back. First bike I have owned, so it fits my needs perfectly.

I'm another who finds it ugly.

Ugly the first time I saw one. Ugly when I bought it. Still ugly two years later.

When I first saw them on the road, I would marvel, "Who on earth would buy such an ugly turd as that?"

Then I had a chance to take a test ride, and did so, mostly thinking I could use the experience to rag on it online. Instead, I got off and placed an order for one.

I will never understand how anyone in his right mind can find the X visually appealing.

That's the same opinion I had about the MTS1100. Matter of fact, the guys at work dubbed it the ugliest bike in the parking lot. I left work one day and found a large cardboard sign leaning on my bike that said 'FREE'. But to ride it was a different story. Full of torque, easy to handle and a joy to ride. I actually find the design of the NCX attractive in a utilitarian sort of way.

I didn't like the 'X' at all I fancy the 'S' model till I sat on it and then test road the 'X' because it was the only demo with the DCT.
took it for 20 mile ride and that was it ,I went and bought her there and then at a reduce price with only about 370 miles or so on the clock.
and I don't regret one iota .in fact it put a smile on my face yesterday when I gave it a little wash and polish,put the tax disc on and is good as ready to go.
what impressed me was that she fired almost instantly and I never charged her up since before Xmas.looking forward to getting it on the road again after winter lay off.

Wow! Glad I'm not the only one! I've always believed the simpler, the better, and the NCX is no exception. I've been reading farkle posts on this forum for over a year now and have seem some pretty interesting ideas, add-ons, and mods, but nothing, IMHO, has looked better than the naked bike right off the showroom floor. I believe the design characteristic (color contrasts, textures, angles, etc.) of this bike are pretty much flawless. The color schemes (I'm more partial to the silver/black) are down right perfect and the overall look is just beautiful. While I can fully understand the reasons behind it, I can't stand the look of luggage, side panniers, trunk, etc.

Now, I will admit, I have added a few little things to make it better for me, personally. Like, a ACC outlet hidden in the frunk, a taller windshield during the colder riding season, and I've played with a few paint schemes just to change it up a bit from time to time. But as far as suspension, ride height, seat slope, etc., nothing has been changed. It all just fits perfect for me!

I sometimes catch myself staring at it, drooling, as if it were a...well, you get the picture. One of the best part of my days is opening the garage door in the morning and seeing it parked there, just itching for a ride.

Back