• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Almost lost it Today

aircav1182

Reaction score
Visit site
I was out on a ride in Missouri today and got into a section of road (HWY 185 between Potosi-Sullivan) and got into the perfect weather and outstanding road conditions. Corner after corner, I pushed the NC harder and harder and everything was just great. I came into this one turn that I took outside to inside to outside and on the inside was larger type gravel (Like used in a driveway). As I hit it at angle the front end just went out...I was freaking out, light front brake, light rear and steering by instinct I guess and riding it out. I kept it up but was in the oncoming lane by the time I regained complete control. I feel lucky but also foolish for getting myself in that situation. Gravel was in the middle track of cages. if I had just stayed in car tracks would have missed it but I was doing race track turns. Lesson learned.

You can do track days for that, but on the road you need to save some traction for the unexpected (oncoming vehicles crossing the center line, mud from farm vehicles, wet leaves & animals). Good job saving it!

Last edited:
Pretty common to see gravel in lane centers, around the center line, and at intersections around here in Montana, as well as brutal tar snakes and tar/gravel pothole fills that are almost as tall as the potholes were deep. Had a couple "educational experiences", so hopefully lesson learned that I take nothing for granted. Glad to hear you and your bike emerged unscathed.

One place I have learned to watch for gravel is where side roads come in, especially if the side road is higher.

Sometimes we need a good reality check to remind us that we are mortal. Glad you came through it safely and are richer for the experience :)

Tar snakes are way sneakier than I had remembered.. found a good one yesterday, front tire must have walked around 2" over during a turn... freaked me out.
Hate them!

I think many of us have learned this same lesson. I have some back roads I ride to get home. For the most part they are straight but there are a couple turns where I always push myself to see if I can take them faster than the previous attempt. That backfired on me one time and I learned a valuable lesson. I know that road like the back of my hand but you can't predict when something like a dead animal, mowed grass blown on the road, or some other type of debris is now along that path. I still get cocky at times but I'm taking a chance. Another reason why it is always a good idea to be geared up.

Glad you came out ok , good natural instinct. I'm always on defense, especially in areas I constantly ride on. You get use to ( over comfortable ) with familiar places......always expect silly shit , even in your " hometown ".

Back