• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A perfect commuter bike? 2012 Honda NC700S

Hi
Had a look at the 700x looks great and when my ribs and broken shoulder fix I plan a test ride.We (Edinburgh) do not have the 700S yet,but that might suit me better the only thing is it is listed having less power.Any reason why? I like the MPG and I do not rev my bikes hard all the time mostly short shifting and using the Torque (CB900 Hornet & ER500).
Ken

Hi,

Were you able to sit on the bike or just look at it. I don't know when this bike will come to the U.S. but I am interested in this bike. It seems like it will have the same hp as my Silver Wing (50hp) but more torque. My SWing has 37 ftlbs and this has 45 ftlbs I believe. The storage, where the gas tank is, seems pretty cool too. I have had many m/c's and I think this would be great for my needs. The SWing gets up to 102 mph per gps but I don't ride that fast anymore. The gas mileage seems really high too. If any of you ever get to see/sit on this bike I am curious as to how tall you are and if you thought it was comfortable.

JeffR

Ive just bought the nc 700x, I find it very comfy, Ive had 2 silverwings in the past, and I thought my dodgy knees, wouldnt cope with the nc, but the riding position is perfect for me, quite tall, not as tall as a transalp, but enough to give good leg room, most bikes these days feel very rearsetted to me. The storage compartment in the dummy tank just fits my shoei helmet, so Ive ordered a top box as well, but its not arrived yet. The engine is great, very torquey, it has the character of a single, but much smoother, and 70+ mpg, thats great. The weather protection isn't up to much, compared to a silverwing.
Wev'e only got the x model in the uk at the moment, the s model arrives in march, and the integra in april, my x was £5,850 on the road, the integre will retail at £7,500, and the s model £5350, cheers.

horobags,

Thanks for the update. If I may ask a couple of questions without being a pain:

1) Do you have the 6 speed where you shift with a clutch on the handlebars or is it like a 6 speed automatic where you just hit a paddle shifter without pulling a clutch lever in?

2) Is it a bit more powerful than the SWing? I know they are both about the same hp but since this bike is more 'torquey", do you feel it takes off better.

Congrats on your new bike and it seems you are one of the first to get this new bike. There isn't a lot out there that will get me to change from my SWing but this bike really has my interest. Thanks for the post.

Hi Jeff, Ive the manual version, the dual cluch model doesnt arrive in the uk until april, and costs approx £600 extra. More powerful than a silverwing???. The nc performes with short bursts of low down power in each gear, but not too vibey, its hard to explain the power delivery, because it really is smooth. If I was to be riding at constant high speed( motorway/highway), the silverwing would win over the nc because of wind protection and comfort, I am still full of admiration for the silverwing. But the nc 700 is smooth , nearly as comfy, and 70mpg, and much more fun to ride on winding roads, due to the torquey engine and long travel suspension, hope this imfo helps, but dont forget to test ride one when they are available in your area, cheers mark.

Last edited:
Mark,

Thanks for the info and it's great you really like your new bike. It is also really nice to get 15-20 mpg more on the NC700 than the SWing, along with the smoothness and better suspension. I think the SWing is a very smooth bike but I always wondered why they come with small tires, since they are very capable touring bikes. Again, thanks for the response and if you add anything else I will be sure to read it. I wonder if you one of the first in the world to get this bike? That would be pretty cool too.

My local honda dealer has sold 3 nc's, thats all he had, he has took deposits for another 4, and a deposit for one integra ( scooter version), which retails at £7,500, with dual cluch,(due march).

I will get mine NC700X with DCT and ABS, foot and legs deflector and higher windscreen, on 12 April. With accessories it will cost me about 7900€. Regards, Emil

So we're all wondering just how good these bikes are and what's the real world mpg going to be, Honda's quoted figures are achieved on a rolling road.

Here's a link to one owners mpg figures on fuelly, you can convert the figures in the top left corner for US, UK or euro litres.

Got to say, very impressed so far : NiCX (Honda NC700X) | Fuelly

Yes, it is impressive. The 1st tank was 62.8 mpg US and the 2nd tank was 71.4 mpg US. That is really good and I get it gets a little better as it gets more broken in. And I like the looks of the bike too. It will be nice when it gets to the Honda shop here so I can see it. Thanks for posting that.

tanserf,

What kind of riding were you doing to get the 71 mpg (US)? Was it highway or a mix? And if you don't mind, I put new topic on about cruising rpm's, what are the rpm's at 65mph? Someone answered my question on the other topic that he thought he saw in the video that at 65 mph the tach was showing around 4,000 rpm. Is that what you are getting at 65 mph? I think 65 mph is 105 kph. It seems the U.S. is always last to get bikes like this. It took 10 years to get the NT700V over here and that was the bike I was wanting next. But now I would want this one. And I saw that big grin of yours.

Hi there JeffR
just to put the consumption into perspective: most of the riding is my hubbies commute to work at the moment, 45 km one way, we live in hilly country,our home is 600m above sea level, whereas the office is at the coast! So you can expect much better consumption in flatter terrain. We did a longer trip this weekend, one up there(hubby) sitting between 130 - 140 kph comfortably, still giving 3.4l/100 km. Very good. 2 up with some wind, and slower say 65mph, more or less same consumption. Comfy on the open road, but not long distance lift bike, bit tight at the back, foot accommodation also tight or close together. Other than that a lovely easy to ride bike!
Talk soon
Tanserf

Thanks for your mpg updates, they have got me pretty excited. I only average 65mpgUS on my 2011 Cbr250r, which is less than your 700x! I'm thinking of getting another commuter bike so I can have a different riding position sometimes and I have a, soon to be, 16 year old, who has her eye on the little bike.

Back