• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

700x & non clutch shifts

woppyvac

Reaction score
Visit site
I've owned a few bikes and for the most part have ridden them all the same in regards to how I shift, etc. In the past and when not needed, I typically only used the clutch for coming out of 1st gear and down shifting. However, I've found the sweet spot on the 700x to be a tricky for shifting into second gear without using the clutch. I've resigned to clutching shifts on 1st & 2nd gear and then kicking up from there. I wonder if the low rev engine and low shift points are the culprit? Anywho, just seeing if I'm the only one whose noticed this as well.

I don't think it is the low rev engine. It has a constant mesh trans like most other bikes. How many miles on the bike?

Mine shifts up or down with rev-matching (including 2nd) just fine. Downshifting into the lower two gears is "catchy" so I restrict downshifts to 6-5 and 5-4, but upshifting is fine.

It's not just you, I've had the same experience I drive a semi truck for a living and only use the clutch to take off and back up, same goes for cars and trucks and my buddy's ninja. But I can't consistently get good shifts from my NC700X or my friends Harley, so I use the clutch for every shift

I've only got 2,000miles on the bike. Glad to hear I'm not the only one a bit perplexed with this.

Yes, I've had a similar experience. Surprisingly small variations in oil temp have a much bigger impact on shift quality on this bike than my last one. Maybe that's a factor for you, too? Wither way, crossing neutral on this bike takes more effort if I don't want to use the clutch. All that said, I de-clutch when I shift, unless I'm playing around or testing something.

I learned to always use the clutch. I don't know that it's always necessary, but that's just what I do.

Back