• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

6000km on the NC750X DCT and not very happy.

At the moment I am riding with a stock screen and a vario lip addition. I also have a cut down standard screen and I modified a pre-2016 screen to fit, and I have tried all combinations with Bruddit screen adjusters. I have also tried it with no screen at all and this provided the smoothest ride.
I haven't given up yet though. I am trying to obtain a 20inch Madstad screen with winglet deflectors but the UK agent say that Madstad haven't produced a kit for the 2016 bike yet. My reading of other threads on here seem to indicate the UK agent is wrong.
Mike

UK agent is wrong. Site asks you to enter in model year of bike when ordering. Mounting brackets are different for the '16+ models and one of our members was the guinea pig while they sorted it out.

Just press the upshift button to get the transmission to shift into 6th
To completely cure it buy the latest model with extra DCT Modes :)
I must get a ride on the latest model to check the extra DCT features out :D

Sndy

UK agent is wrong. Site asks you to enter in model year of bike when ordering. Mounting brackets are different for the '16+ models and one of our members was the guinea pig while they sorted it out.
What I can't get an answer to though is whether the winglet things and the 2016 mounting kit work with the Honda oem hand guards
Mike

Hello, I love my DCT, its economical and relaxed.
Though as commented I do use the downshift button all the time as the gearbox generally wont react in time.
If I need a burst of power to overtake something just prod the downshift once or twice.
So just go with the flow and start enjoying it.

What I can't get an answer to though is whether the winglet things and the 2016 mounting kit work with the Honda oem hand guards
Mike

I'd like to know too but my hunch is that the MADSTAD series will all hit ANY hand guard because they are so wide and don't take a thinner shape in the middle as the others too to avoid this issue. If anyone can confirm a set of handguards WITH madstad screens please let us know.

Mike

Hey Mike, I saw some discussions on the other 20" MADSTAD screen thread - let me know please if you come up with a solution on the MADSTAD and a pair of handguards, HONDA or not... thanks!

My concern with the MADSTAD is that it may look way too over sized - I may need to get the 22" - I'm 6 foot 1

I'd like to know too but my hunch is that the MADSTAD series will all hit ANY hand guard because they are so wide and don't take a thinner shape in the middle as the others too to avoid this issue. If anyone can confirm a set of handguards WITH madstad screens please let us know.

I think many handguards work with the Madstad. The Madstad may be a bit wider than many screens, but it sits father out front because of the adjustable brackets. Further, installing handlebar setbacks or risers helps the situation. I have two NCs with 20 inch Madstad screens and there is no interference with the handguards. I do have 2 inch bar risers, however.

thanks for sharing, good info - can you tell me, does it hit the rev limiter then on 'manual' mode or does it eventually auto shift up there as well ???

Also, how do you like it so far? have you done any 2 up? how does it handle in high winds and cross winds? thanks!

Sorry for the late reply. I am not on here that often. I have not taken it to the rev limiter but I assume it would. On the upshift it does let you rev it out pretty good. On the downshift though the software gets nervous and downshifts pretty soon if you don't. So the auto downshift happens often, never have seen an auto upshift (I tend to baby my bike).

I S mode it is between 5 and 6 I find it extreme. I have to go above 100kmt before it is considering to shift in to 6 gear. Compared with the D mode where i shift in 6 gear at 65kmt, I find the difference extreme and strange.
I like the DCT and hope the foot shifter is the right solution for me. I have been riding MC's most of my life and cant apparently not get used to shift gear with hand.... need foot :)

Funny that in the beginning I was shifting on my NC750XA (manual) according to the manual, and getting in 6 around 70km/h... But after a while I found that the bike is boring that way... it does well, but it doesn't give its best, so I changed: lately I rarely shift to 6th gear below 100km/h... in fact I mostly downshift below 2500-3000rpm and upshift above 4500rpm (I think) except uphill where I'd push to 5000-5500rpm, speed is irrelevant...

When i first got my 750 I thought the D might as well stand for Defunct as I felt it was pretty much useless and lugged the engine and i wouldn't be using it. But I did start using it as its perfect for when I'm slowly filtering (lane splitting) through Londons streets. If i do need a bit of quick acceleration i just hit the downshift button. This is so quick and easy to do and much less effort than downshifting on a manual trans. If you get used to doing this like i have, you'll probably find you'll only use D mode around town. I only use the S mode when I'm out of town and want the bike to be a bit more lively. For me I don't need another mode, the two I have I can work to my advantage and alter them by the press of the - or + buttons that Mr Honda so thoughtfully put on there! Its this kind of flexibility that makes me absolutely love the DCT!

YMMV.

Exactly my thoughts. D + occasional minus button is perfect for me in city traffic. S1 for out of town, S2 and S3 for being silly in twisties and manual for bad roads or when I want to play. I have use for every mode. So far I love it.

Exactly my thoughts. D + occasional minus button is perfect for me in city traffic. S1 for out of town, S2 and S3 for being silly in twisties and manual for bad roads or when I want to play. I have use for every mode. So far I love it.

I find this works well -> D MODE with ONE downshift for more uphill power and TWO downshifts for passing power.

Just press the upshift button to get the transmission to shift into 6th
To completely cure it buy the latest model with extra DCT Modes :)
I must get a ride on the latest model to check the extra DCT features out :D

Sndy

I recently purchased a new 2017 with the DCT transmission and I love it. It's amazing! I was worried I would miss the manual shifting, which is all I have ever known, but I don't at all. I love being able to just relax and enjoy the ride without having to worry about shifting gears. The 4 different modes give you a lot of choice. I mainly leave it in S2 mode, which pretty much mimics how I would shift manually. I have yet to try the most aggressive S3 mode. I would highly recommend you try one of the new ones!

I hope this is an appropriate thread to post this in but I have about 7000KM on my DCT 2017 model and the shifting is a little rough, it is much rougher than it was when I bought it brand new, I noticed that after the first service / oil change it wasn't as smooth anymore, almost as if they are using a different oil type than the bike came with, I don't know.

In general it has gotten rougher but it is only if I accelerate hard, seems if I go slow, take it easy then it shifts smooth but as soon as I accelerate harder it shifts rougher and can feel this.

Do you think it's all normal?

Thank you

Agree with HarveyM. Oil is oil as long as the right specs and viscosity were used. But, check the drive chain condition and slack. Chains are often adjusted too tight, especially by dealers and shops.

Agree with HarveyM. Oil is oil as long as the right specs and viscosity were used. But, check the drive chain condition and slack. Chains are often adjusted too tight, especially by dealers and shops.

So you guys don't find your DCT's shifting a little rough under acceleration when cold? as it warms up it smooths out so didn't think it would be chain related.

So you guys don't find your DCT's shifting a little rough under acceleration when cold? as it warms up it smooths out so didn't think it would be chain related.

You didn't mention engine temperture as being a factor in your first post (#54), only hard vs slow acceleration. In that case it is probably oil temperature related, not chain related. I don't have a DCT, but I can say that all of my manual transmission motorcycles shift more easily when the engine is warm.

I assume you didn't do the oil change yourself, since you wrote "they". If the mechanic put in an incompatible oil, that might be a problem. If it really bothers you, you might change the oil again, being certain to use what's specified in the service manual.

You didn't mention engine temperture as being a factor in your first post (#54), only hard vs slow acceleration. In that case it is probably oil temperature related, not chain related. I don't have a DCT, but I can say that all of my manual transmission motorcycles shift more easily when the engine is warm.

I assume you didn't do the oil change yourself, since you wrote "they". If the mechanic put in an incompatible oil, that might be a problem. If it really bothers you, you might change the oil again, being certain to use what's specified in the service manual.

Yes, I will see how it behaves at the 12K service, they changed it being certified HONDA dealer, or so they call themselves. I also recall (vaguely) that someone else on this forum posted noticing a same behavior that after the initial oil change the DCT was shifting rougher than with the original oil - weird I know but I swear I thought I saw something like that somewhere here... I also couldn't tell you how it were with engine temp related (when it was new) being that it was a while ago (3 months or so) but I definitely notice rougher shifting and I'm suspecting being related to the oil and maybe even how old it is... i.e. oil change due soon.

Last edited:
I would say that refraining from hard acceleration before the engine has warmed up is always 'best practice'. Honda doesn't make that easy with the NC, but roughly 5-10 min should do it.

Back