• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

50/20's

Cycle Gear has their Bilt waterproof cooling vest on sale today. Normal price is $59.99, on sale of $39.99. Today was the first day it went on sale, so I bought one. Have not tried it yet.

The sales person was telling me about a new cooling mask that she saw this week for the first time. She said this new mask is evaporative cooling like the vest. She said this mask is a lot thinner than any mask she has seen. Has anyone seen the new cooling mask on the internet yet, I could not find the cooling mask on the internet..

The only mask I can find is this cooling mask from Revzilla.

Oxford Layers Cool Dry Balaclava - RevZilla

There is this from LDComfort:

Helmet Liner w/Ties & Tail New Sizes - Tri Monte Group Inc DBA LDComfort

I have one in florescent orange that I carry with me when I expect to be sitting in traffic which does not happen very often. The times I have used it it worked well at keeping my head cool.

Random thoughts as posted by others and some of my own. White or black helmet - big difference on the shell surface but not inside where 5/8 to 1" of styrofoam is a very effective insulator between the shell and my head. I have both white and black helmets.

Agree to using solid textile vs mesh when it's over 93 degrees F. It was not intuitive to me but I know it works. The hot air seems also to flow around mesh clothing uncontrollably but with solid textile gear wind blowing up the sleeves, legs, and into/out of vents ventilates better but I absolutely have to keep moving. In stopped traffic it's heat stroke conditions. Agree to wearing wicking pants and long sleeved shirts. I prefer Under Armour Heat Gear. Wetting the UA shirt and neckwear works good for a while depending on humidity. Jockey makes microfiber undershorts 1/3 the price of motorcycle underwear. I travel with two sets of shirts and pants. I can wash one days UA gear in a campground or motel sink and it will usually dry by morning. If not I'll start with or damp. If I'm riding in a dry climate my cool vest works well for about 2 hours before drying out. I'll rewet it in a pit stop bathroom sink or in the extra-large ziplock bag I carry it in. I also have bought 8 or 10 lb bags of ice and slip one in the front of my Roadcrafter then zip up and control incoming air to rev up evaporative cooling. Cooling my core torso it is like sitting in the AC I kid you not. 6 or 8 lbs of ice lasts me about 3 hours in 100 degree heat. I wear microfiber neck gaiters rewetted often and I can rewet it with a squeeze bottle of water whole riding. I have a couple made by Buff. They are versatile wearing, from gathered around my neck, or up a little higher with a bit under the helmet chin strap to prevent chafing, or up over lower face and ears. A Buff wetted against facial and neck skin is very cooling but it dries out quick. In humid conditions I do not use the cool vest. It keeps my clothes wet but restricts air flow too much so I just rewet UA clothing as necessary. I drink a little water every 15 - 20 minutes by the clock so I don't have to stop and pee between gas stops because I drank 20 oz all at once. I know by the color of it to drink 6 long sips instead of 3 or 4.

When you are going long distance mileage cross county on a motorcycle trip in the unreal heat in the middle of no where land you better have it down to a science, right down to the pee. There is no guessing or playing it by ear. When anything does not go as planned, and it will, you have to know what your next action is.............................Heat will kill you quick!

I have rode in 104° heat down near Vegas a couple of years ago so do have some heat experience. I had on my mesh gear with a cooling vest on and was OK for about 2 hours. Then I would stop and soak my vest in a gas stations sink and continue. It wasn't a pleasant experience. I'm fortunate that I live in Canada and the hottest days here are in the mid 80's. If I had to commute in 100+ weather I'd take the car.

Last edited:
Good lord, every time I think of myself as a true motorcyclist, other riders will post up about riding in conditions that would have me virtually incapacitated. oof I can't even imagine riding in that brutal kind of heat, day in, day out. :eek:

THE Noah Webster?

Noah Webster Rice married one of the Perry's. The Perry's at one time owned more of Texas than any family. Stephen F. Austin's sister's Family. She was only living relative of Stephen F. Austin at the time of his death. So, she inherited a large part of Texas. Because of current politics and Perry family members involved in the current politics, the fact that at one time before the civil war the Perry family owned more slaves than anyone, anywhere is kept very quite. The Perry family homestead is still standing in Brazoria County, Texas and Stephen F. Austin's desk still sets in his room. The public is not ever invited to see this part of history, YET!

Stephen F. Austin's original burial place is located at a Perry family church cemetery, Gulf Prairie Cemetery, in the town of Jones Creek, Texas, (Peach Point at time of Stephen F. Austin's death) on what was his brother-in-law's "Peach Point Plantation". His remains were exhumed in 1910 and brought to be reinterred at the state capital in Austin.

Last edited:
I must not be old enough yet to have the "pee" issue. I can go well over 200 miles between stops. Something else to look forward to I guess. LOL!
Instead of the 'Greatest Generation' that came before me, us Boomers will be known as the Flomax Generation. :)

When I'm laying down miles my gas stops are 250 to 300 miles apart.

Instead of the 'Greatest Generation' that came before me, us Boomers will be known as the Flomax Generation. :)

When I'm laying down miles my gas stops are 250 to 300 miles apart.

Dave, you got that right. But, each year the gas stops seem to be closer. It is those few places on this motorcycle traveling earth with over 250 miles between gas stops that we have a real problem with. Carrying extra gas and stopping to add the extra gas at one time solved the peeing problem. However today, at extra gas refill stops in the middle of no where, on the dirt roads going to no where, comes the RV filled with the entire Griswold family blowing dust on everything!

Last edited:
In Vegas, it's been hitting 105 to 115 since about the 7th of June. Been on the NC almost every day....I use a cooling vest and mesh but try to plan my commute and trips to keep them relatively short and avoid high traffic areas, the trick is to keep moving. I always start my day at my farthest location so I ride out while it's still in the 90's....I know everyone cringes at these temps, but you really do become acclimatized. I went our for my joyride at 6 this morning and really had a great time! I'm off again to an appt now....it's only hot if you start thinking how hot it is. Just sayin....

Good lord, every time I think of myself as a true motorcyclist, other riders will post up about riding in conditions that would have me virtually incapacitated. oof I can't even imagine riding in that brutal kind of heat, day in, day out. :eek:

Here in Louisiana we always say its not the heat that does you in, its the humidity.

I always say in Arizona you burst into flames.
In Louisiana you just smolder.

To be fair to OCR, who lives close to Houston (geographically), Houston is one of the most humid places in the USA. So, he can go from smoldering to bursting into flames in the course of a days' ride.

Jonathan Tan who just finished the 2015 Iron Butt Rally on a NC700XD had an active cooling system installed on his bike two weeks before the start of the rally.. The system he has is one of two prototypes that were available from the developer. I have no idea how well it worked.

I only have 1500 problems with the EntroSys Motorcyclist Air Conditioning System. $1500 for 3 months of riding, I just can not justify the cost. Sure wished I owned one in this Houston humitity. I believe as the cost goes down, a product like this will be in the future of motorcycleing. Both for heating and A/C. Kevlar jacket with enclosed face mask covering neck, rain liner, and piping to the helmet and neck areas, what a dream! Oh, the astronauts already have these units. Maybe, I could get NASA to sell me a used unit.

Last edited:
To pick the brains of list members and to read about experiences with the LDComfort gear you could join the LDRiders LDRider Info Page email list. Even if you don't read the list daily an account on the list will enable you to search the very deep archive for messages about the LDComfort gear. I think most of the Iron Butt Rally riders wear this gear. They have to ride through places like Death Valley at mid-day to collect bonuses. I have the boxer shorts and the leggings which work great. I tried to cheap out with the Jockey microfiber shorts but the access panel is way too small and tight to manage opening it with my suit on. The Jockeys work OK for me around town but I really want a couple of long sleeve tops and another pair of shorts and tights for longer distances. I'm putting this stuff at the top of my Christmas wish list.

Back