• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2023: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
all'ya victims of the short inseam haha!!?? :{P

I rode another short 40 miles or so on the new-to-me RDL seat. Man it is so comfy, i love it! Thanks again David.

So i tried on my Kappa 40L touring luggage for the first time to make sure everything fit/mounted/rode comfortably before i try and take off for a few days on it and sure enough, the new muffler/cat delete pipe mounted just about 1cm too high and prevented the luggage box to fully engage into the mounts. So, as a good fabricator i try and be haha, i took the exhaust system loose and modified one of the hanger brackets and it was perfect.

View attachment 52500

View attachment 52501
That looks good enough to me.

With your talent and a few mods, I think you can make a hot box out of that right side panier and bake a green bean casserole on the way to somewhere!

all'ya victims of the short inseam haha!!?? :{P

I rode another short 40 miles or so on the new-to-me RDL seat. Man it is so comfy, i love it! Thanks again David.

So i tried on my Kappa 40L touring luggage for the first time to make sure everything fit/mounted/rode comfortably before i try and take off for a few days on it and sure enough, the new muffler/cat delete pipe mounted just about 1cm too high and prevented the luggage box to fully engage into the mounts. So, as a good fabricator i try and be haha, i took the exhaust system loose and modified one of the hanger brackets and it was perfect.

View attachment 52500

View attachment 52501
I’m really glad the RDL works for you. I tried one and could barely even ride the motorcycle. I guess you must have an inseam of 34” or more. That seems to be the leg length needed for the RDL to work on the NC.

I don’t mount my NC standing on the left peg (I do on my CRF), however my NC sidestand was wobbly early in life. I had to file the slot parallel and add a shim washer to snug up the fit of the sidestand. Sloppy manufacturing or loose specs was possibly the root cause.
The new one was a little wobbly also - sloppy drawings and/or manufacturing. The stand vendor either has bad drawings from Honda or poor machining/QC. I may take it off and shim it if I get bored. It’s a simple uninstall/install.

Enjoyed a great ride yesterday with the new GF. She had not riding on a bike since she was a little girl. So I made sure to take it very easy and try and make her first ride in forever a very pleasant one and boy howdy it was. She laughed, giggled and loved the ride! Now she’s hooked and wants to ride again, I may have created a monster haha!!

We went for a nice 40 mile ride, stopping twice for a short break each time to talk about the bike/ride, riding do’s/dont’s haha. She did great.

I took my X-Adv on a round trip of about 100km today. I had one purpose for the ride and that was to ride the bike over the roughest roads in my locality and take a fresh assessment of how it is handling them. The reason for that in turn is because the X-Adv has for the third time in my 6 years of ownership become at risk of being traded. It fended off the other two protagonists, but the current one is more of a risk to it.

I rode the new Transalp a couple of days ago and I liked it. I liked it a lot. What I liked most about it was its compliant suspension over the rough roads that I live on. It is considerably more compliant than my X-Adv despite my efforts to make that bike more compliant with a new shock and adjustments to the forks etc. However, no matter what adjustments I make I am always up against the two small wheels that the bike has as standard. They are 17" and 15" respectively and not ideal for roads that are bordering on offroad. Despite this I have lived with the bike for 6 years on these roads because I love its individuality and uniqueness. I have a strong bond with it and I know exactly how it will handle anything that it encounters on the road. I love the motor and the DCT etc etc. However there are times when those small wheels hammer my ageing carcass, and as I get older I am struggling a bit with that. The Transalp on the other hand was a joy to ride the other day over similar roads.

I now have to decide if the cost of trading is worth the difference in the suspension compliance. I tried to get a feel for that today and I came home thinking that I could probably continue to live with the X-Adv, but I am not sure. If I hadn't ridden the Transalp I would have continued without giving it a second thought other than to make a further adjustment to the forks that at best would make a slight difference.

Accordingly I will return to the shop on Tuesday and take out the Transalp again. I will ride both bikes back to back over the same route and make my mind up. The Transalp is a better motorcycle but nowhere near as characterful as the Scoot.

Update as a follow up to this post. I did a lot of mileage on Tuesday on both bikes. Tbh they couldn't be more different. Clearly the Transalp is better suspended. Power wise the NC motor is a lot stronger than the Trans in the lower revs. However the Trans builds steadily and takes off where the NC motor signs off. The Trans is about 28kg lighter and it shows when moving it around.

Anyway, long story short, the X-Adv has seen off yet another challenger. As I was riding it home from the shop and lazily shifting manually thru the gears, in the usual relaxed riding position that makes it one of the best long distance bikes I have ever owned, I knew I wouldn't part with it. It is quite unique and I will never be in a position to get another one. I have loved it and hated it in equal measures, but I suppose that's part of what will not let me part with it. So it stays, and I suspect that after this crisis I will have it until I can no longer manage it. More on the Transalp on the related thread.

Yesterday the Pillion and i rode another 110 miles, man she loves riding now. I think i have created a monster(a good problem to have i suppose, no complaints)!! :{P

110 miles is a good distance on that pillion perch tbh. The seat is very minimal, but for now your Pillion doesn't know any better. My Wife who has done tens of thousands of Kms with me since the mid 80's, rejected the pillion perch on my former NC700X. Two days ago I got Her to try out the new Transalp pillion perch, but again there was rejection because it is similar in size and shape to the NC. Her usual seat is the Strom which She can live with for several hundred kms a day with breaks of course. Another item You can add for Pillion rides is an intercom. It makes that somewhat isolated position back there, that bit more enjoyable.
I have ridden pillion for long distances in my early days of motorcycling so I am well aware of what pillions have to contend with. Tbh I think every rider who carries a pillion should take a stint on the back for at least 50/100 miles. It would help greatly to assist in adapting ones riding style for maximum pillion comfort. The way I ride the Strom with Shiv on the back is way different to how I ride it solo.

Just some thoughts.

Not today but last Saturday I got caught out by a fast moving thunderstorm. I was coming down from Two Wheels Only @ Suches GA and just turned onto US 19 at the Rockpile when it came over the mountain behind me. It is heavily forested hilly country right there with no shoulder or shelter but I believed there was a church just down the road a bit and hunkered down and kept going. I had to ride about four miles on twisty roads to the shelter of that country church porch. I'll take heavy summer rain any day over summer rain mixed with lightning and hail. Hail plinking and banging off my helmet all the way.... think about those riders that eschew helmets and other protective gear. When the rain let up I and about 15 cars that were stopped on the road in front of the church found that trees were blown down across the road both ahead and behind of us. They were trapped until the road was cleared but I rode onto the grass shoulder around one tree and kept going. I was in mesh jacket and pants and rapidly began to get hypothermia from wind across my wet clothing. Within 10 miles I was shivering uncontrollably. Even though I was long since soaked to the bone I stopped inside a car wash and pulled out my Frog Toggs to stop the wind from continuing to super cool my body. Twenty minutes there warmed me up enough to safely ride on. I had to ride 50 miles to my stop for the night. It has happened to me before but it's still hard to believe one can get hypothermia in 85 - 90F conditions.

IMG_3414.jpgIMG_3416.jpgIMG_3415(1).jpg

Last edited:
Not today but last Saturday I got caught out by a fast moving thunderstorm. I was coming down from Two Wheels Only @ Suches GA and just turned onto US 19 at the Rockpile when it came over the mountain behind me. It is heavily forested hilly country right there with no shoulder or shelter but I believed there was a church just down the road a bit and hunkered down and kept going. I had to ride about four miles on twisty roads to the shelter of that country church porch. I'll take heavy summer rain any day over summer rain mixed with lightning and hail. Hail plinking and banging off my helmet all the way.... think about those riders that eschew helmets and other protective gear. When the rain let up I and about 15 cars that were stopped on the road in front of the church found that trees were blown down across the road both ahead and behind of us. They were trapped until the road was cleared but I rode onto the grass shoulder around one tree and kept going. I was in mesh jacket and pants and rapidly began to get hypothermia from wind across my wet clothing. Within 10 miles I was shivering uncontrollably. Even though I was soaked to the bone I stopped inside a car wash and pulled out my Frog Toggs to stop the wind from super cooling my body. Twenty minutes there warmed me up enough to safely ride on. I had to ride 50 miles to my stop for the night. It has happened to me before but it's still hard to believe one can get hypothermia in 85 - 90F conditions.

View attachment 52514View attachment 52515View attachment 52516
Too bad you got caught in the bad weather. Good that you got through OK.

While not as bad as your situation and not an NC story, my wife and I got caught in a derecho storm 8 days ago. We were on our Ruckus scooters after eating lunch 20 miles from home. We were well aware that a storm was approaching but our error was in significantly underestimating how fast it was moving along - I’d guess 65-70 mph. We left the restaurant with calm, partly cloudy weather, but after riding toward home for just 15 miles at 40 mph, the storm overtook us. Winds were clocked at 70 mph at a nearby city. We stayed upright in the wind and didn’t get injured with flying debris. We took shelter against someone’s garage wall that was right near the road. After waiting out the worst of it, the remaining trip home totally soaked all of our clothing and boots.

When I reviewed the event afterward, our error was clearly that we did not accurately track the storm’s movement speed, nor appreciate the potential severity of it. We learned from it, and were fortunate no damage or injuries resulted.

News article on this storm: https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/06/30/midwest-derecho-storm-damage-illinois-indiana/

110 miles is a good distance on that pillion perch tbh. The seat is very minimal, but for now your Pillion doesn't know any better. My Wife who has done tens of thousands of Kms with me since the mid 80's, rejected the pillion perch on my former NC700X. Two days ago I got Her to try out the new Transalp pillion perch, but again there was rejection because it is similar in size and shape to the NC. Her usual seat is the Strom which She can live with for several hundred kms a day with breaks of course. Another item You can add for Pillion rides is an intercom. It makes that somewhat isolated position back there, that bit more enjoyable.
I have ridden pillion for long distances in my early days of motorcycling so I am well aware of what pillions have to contend with. Tbh I think every rider who carries a pillion should take a stint on the back for at least 50/100 miles. It would help greatly to assist in adapting ones riding style for maximum pillion comfort. The way I ride the Strom with Shiv on the back is way different to how I ride it solo.

Just some thoughts.
I do have an extra Sena unit and have been waiting to Install it for her. Probably have it on her helmet today. Good ideas and thank you my friend.

Update as a follow up to this post. I did a lot of mileage on Tuesday on both bikes. Tbh they couldn't be more different. Clearly the Transalp is better suspended. Power wise the NC motor is a lot stronger than the Trans in the lower revs. However the Trans builds steadily and takes off where the NC motor signs off. The Trans is about 28kg lighter and it shows when moving it around.

Anyway, long story short, the X-Adv has seen off yet another challenger. As I was riding it home from the shop and lazily shifting manually thru the gears, in the usual relaxed riding position that makes it one of the best long distance bikes I have ever owned, I knew I wouldn't part with it. It is quite unique and I will never be in a position to get another one. I have loved it and hated it in equal measures, but I suppose that's part of what will not let me part with it. So it stays, and I suspect that after this crisis I will have it until I can no longer manage it. More on the Transalp on the related thread.
About the bottom 3 gears on the NC,...

I can say the same thing when comparing the NC against the BMW GS. The NC is a lot stronger in first and second gear than the 850 GS. Getting out of my driveway is a minor uphill affair and I notice the gearing difference every day.

Did my normal 150 mile rountrip from Pollock to Placerville(27mi) and home via 49-coloma -georgetown - wentworth springs- Ice House rd - hwy 50 and back down to Pollock Pines. Worn down the outsides of my new boots and tires some more. Riding in the twisties in the Sierra's I only get a little more than 1K and the sides of my tires are past the wear marks, centers are still good

Took the NC out for an early morning ride up north to a Can Am dealer for a four hour get acquainted class. I rode two bikes, alternating between a F3 Touring and a 2018 RT Limited. The class started with the standard review of the controls and starting procedures. Then we did riding drills on a closed course with an eight foot tall cyclone fence. No one in my class hit the fence but there was evidence it has been used by several previous riders. The hardest part I had was to not counter steer. The bike corners flat so steering is all arms but not bad as the F3 and RT models have power assist steering. Just need to be alert when making a right turn not to roll the throttle on (more gas) as you pull the right side towards you.

The seating position is differnt than the NC and was not completely comfortable. The F3 is more of a cruiser and the seat is lower. Right where my knees were felt very wide left to right. I would probably be able to get used to the seating position over time. The RT's seating position was fine left to right but is a bit compact front to back. The course instructor is about an inch taller than me, I'm 6'-2" with a 33 inch inseam. He rides a 2023 model and says the seating position on the 2020 RT and newer is longer and more comfortable for taller riders.

Overall I thought both bike were very nice and well built. We are probably going to be buying a RT as a second bike for two up riding. Definitly keeping the NC.

Just as the class ended the rain started. It came down in sheets. I sat around talking for just less than an hour until the storm past over us. It took 15 minutes of riding for me to catch up with the storm. I rode the rest of the way home in the rain. Total round trip on the NC was 3 hours total riding, 1 hour in the rain, and 115 miles.

Today clean the bike and oil the chain.

Last edited:
Not today but last Saturday I got caught out by a fast moving thunderstorm. I was coming down from Two Wheels Only @ Suches GA and just turned onto US 19 at the Rockpile when it came over the mountain behind me. It is heavily forested hilly country right there with no shoulder or shelter but I believed there was a church just down the road a bit and hunkered down and kept going. I had to ride about four miles on twisty roads to the shelter of that country church porch. I'll take heavy summer rain any day over summer rain mixed with lightning and hail. Hail plinking and banging off my helmet all the way.... think about those riders that eschew helmets and other protective gear. When the rain let up I and about 15 cars that were stopped on the road in front of the church found that trees were blown down across the road both ahead and behind of us. They were trapped until the road was cleared but I rode onto the grass shoulder around one tree and kept going. I was in mesh jacket and pants and rapidly began to get hypothermia from wind across my wet clothing. Within 10 miles I was shivering uncontrollably. Even though I was long since soaked to the bone I stopped inside a car wash and pulled out my Frog Toggs to stop the wind from continuing to super cool my body. Twenty minutes there warmed me up enough to safely ride on. I had to ride 50 miles to my stop for the night. It has happened to me before but it's still hard to believe one can get hypothermia in 85 - 90F conditions.

View attachment 52514View attachment 52515View attachment 52516
Geesh. That sounds terrible. Glad you are safe and sound and no worse for wear. I bet it felt good to get off the road that evening.

Too bad you got caught in the bad weather. Good that you got through OK.

While not as bad as your situation and not an NC story, my wife and I got caught in a derecho storm 8 days ago. We were on our Ruckus scooters after eating lunch 20 miles from home. We were well aware that a storm was approaching but our error was in significantly underestimating how fast it was moving along - I’d guess 65-70 mph. We left the restaurant with calm, partly cloudy weather, but after riding toward home for just 15 miles at 40 mph, the storm overtook us. Winds were clocked at 70 mph at a nearby city. We stayed upright in the wind and didn’t get injured with flying debris. We took shelter against someone’s garage wall that was right near the road. After waiting out the worst of it, the remaining trip home totally soaked all of our clothing and boots.

When I reviewed the event afterward, our error was clearly that we did not accurately track the storm’s movement speed, nor appreciate the potential severity of it. We learned from it, and were fortunate no damage or injuries resulted.

News article on this storm: https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/06/30/midwest-derecho-storm-damage-illinois-indiana/
Glad you are both okay and unscathed. Funny you mention the planning aspect. It's well documented here about my feelings about riding in the rain; it would be rare for me to start in the rain, and i don't like it one bit when I get rained upon when riding. That said, the past few weeks something happened to the radar that I rely on and it grossly misrepresented the current conditions, forecasted future precipitation, times of arrival, etc. I've been soaked more in the past few weeks than I have in the last few years. Nothing like you and Dave experienced. WeatherUnderground seems to be a better solution than the other product I had been using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back