• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2023: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Th
Put on an Evotech radiator guard the other day, I think it's probably the best looking one available. It covers up the rock chips nicely too.

Today I took an actual ride w/ the usual suspects for lunch. Rode up to Half Moon Bay via the mountain roads (Hwy 9 to Skyline/35, down 92), then back along the coast via Hwy 1 for halfway, then cut across thru the hills again thru Bonny Doon for the rest. It was pretty mild out and the usual blustery coastal winds were all but absent making for a super nice trip back. About 110+ miles all said & done. Bike feels dialed in for me finally, though having not ridden in a few weeks I'm a little tired.

View attachment 53096
The factory should put one on, (but it might cost them $5)...................... ridiculous.

Th

The factory should put one on, (but it might cost them $5)...................... ridiculous.
I count myself fortunate to have owned a number of motorcycles with radiators and none of them were equipped from the factory with substantial protection for the radiator. I wouldn't single Honda out or the 700/750 for lack of one.

I count myself fortunate to have owned a number of motorcycles with radiators and none of them were equipped from the factory with substantial protection for the radiator. I wouldn't single Honda out or the 700/750 for lack of one.
I got to wondering how my other bike's radiators were protected in stock form. Of the liquid cooled bikes. the NC radiator is clearly the least protected, with bare fins exposed to debris from head on or from the front tire.

The Ruckus radiator is mounted sideways, down low, mid-bike, with a substantial cover over it. You could possibly kick it with your boot and likely do no damage. The CRF250L Rally radiator has blades covering the radiator that will block any debris from the wheel or head on. Looking from the front, the radiator tubes and fins are not visible. Air enters from a narrow angle (sort of northwest). The GL1800 radiators both are mounted sideways with a coarse plastic mesh over both the air inlet and outlet sides. The coarse mesh could allow small stones to pass, but with the sideways mounting, tucked inside the fairing, that is unlikely to be a problem. Then there is the NC with a bare radiator right out front, hardly even protected by the short stock front fender. Yes, I think Honda should have provided it with a radiator guard as stock equipment.

I got to wondering how my other bike's radiators were protected in stock form. Of the liquid cooled bikes. the NC radiator is clearly the least protected, with bare fins exposed to debris from head on or from the front tire.

The Ruckus radiator is mounted sideways, down low, mid-bike, with a substantial cover over it. You could possibly kick it with your boot and likely do no damage. The CRF250L Rally radiator has blades covering the radiator that will block any debris from the wheel or head on. Looking from the front, the radiator tubes and fins are not visible. Air enters from a narrow angle (sort of northwest). The GL1800 radiators both are mounted sideways with a coarse plastic mesh over both the air inlet and outlet sides. The coarse mesh could allow small stones to pass, but with the sideways mounting, tucked inside the fairing, that is unlikely to be a problem. Then there is the NC with a bare radiator right out front, hardly even protected by the short stock front fender. Yes, I think Honda should have provided it with a radiator guard as stock equipment.
Did you install radiator protection to your ST1100?

If you were riding off road , on gravel roads, dirt roads, forest roads, or single tracks, even occassionally, I could see where the addition of a radiator guard might be a good idea on the NC, at least from a peace of mind perspective, but if riding on surface streets only, I don't think it's much of a concern. I've had quite a few bikes with radiators, , ridden hundreds of thousands of miles, with the first one being 49 years ago on my 1974 GT 750 Suzuki and have never had a punctured radiator. Not saying it couldnt happen, but I've not heard of it happening to anyone in almost half a century. A punctured radiator would certainly be an anomaly I would think.

Then again, like all insurance, what's it worth for your peace of mind? Might be worthwhile from that perspective alone.

Today I am re-sealing the exhaust. I've had a pretty bad leak that, while it does make it sound a little nicer, has been depositing black soot on my right shoe and all over the pipe itself.
Using copper rtv, hopefully it works.
Unfortunately this means 24 hours of no riding...

The ST1100 did not come with radiator protection if that jogs your memory.
Good to know. I very much doubt I’ll ever buy another ST1100, anyway.

Good that Honda has included radiator protection on my models built in this century, with the exception of the NC, of course.

Day 268.... I tried to sneak a ride in between predicted all day off and on showers today, but was unsuccessful, so the NC got a much-needed rain bath lol. No more bugs on the headlight or windshield! Wiped it down when I got in, looks good as new. Tomorrow I'll lube the chain.

40 miles at 53 degrees with a pretty good rain for the last 19 miles.

If you were riding off road , on gravel roads, dirt roads, forest roads, or single tracks, even occassionally, I could see where the addition of a radiator guard might be a good idea on the NC, at least from a peace of mind perspective, but if riding on surface streets only, I don't think it's much of a concern. I've had quite a few bikes with radiators, , ridden hundreds of thousands of miles, with the first one being 49 years ago on my 1974 GT 750 Suzuki and have never had a punctured radiator. Not saying it couldnt happen, but I've not heard of it happening to anyone in almost half a century. A punctured radiator would certainly be an anomaly I would think.

Then again, like all insurance, what's it worth for your peace of mind? Might be worthwhile from that perspective alone.
I agree and add radiator damage from a rock or other debris ranks right up there with oil related engine failures. I fabricated a debris guard for the first NC but didn’t bother on NCs #2 & 3.

Good to know. I very much doubt I’ll ever buy another ST1100, anyway.

Good that Honda has included radiator protection on my models built in this century, with the exception of the NC, of course.
Is 3 Honda models is a large sample given the large number of models Honda has built in this century? Rhetorical question, of course it isn't.

Day 268.... I tried to sneak a ride in between predicted all day off and on showers today, but was unsuccessful, so the NC got a much-needed rain bath lol. No more bugs on the headlight or windshield! Wiped it down when I got in, looks good as new. Tomorrow I'll lube the chain.

40 miles at 53 degrees with a pretty good rain for the last 19 miles.

Welp, I could make a few jokes, but I won't. I cleaned my dusty bike this week to get ready for a ride tomorrow then I'll clean it again tomorrow night or Sunday morning. I guess we balance out the clean/dirty motorcycle universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back