• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016 BMW R1200RS - Talk me off the edge

You got to experience it. That alone is worth the money (or life) you spend.
I have done that. So I qualify to say.
I would buy another BMW in a heartbeat...no hesitation about machinery or maintenance etc.

Sent from my LG-D955 using Tapatalk

BMW's are great bikes. Motorcycle reliability can be subjective. You will definitely pay a lot more for maintenance, but that's just the cost of owning one. I had K1200 GT for about 5 years. It never broke down. Awesome bike. Didn't have enough time to ride it and needed the money. I love my NC700X DCT. I have been riding for 35 years and my clutch hand is ruined from overuse. Will need surgery to repair. In the meantime I am enjoying the Honda immensely. It's a fun bike to ride. A ton more fun than my older Honda Nighthawk.

Motorcycles are not about need, they are about want, lust and desire :D

Get what makes you weak in the knees, get what puts a grin so big on your face that it makes your cheek pads hurt a lil. Get the one that doesn't leave you wanting more.

Motorcycles are not about need, they are about want, lust and desire :D

I agree to a point. If you are looking at the high end of the motorcycle price range then it is about desire and the machine's ability to thrill. In my situation I have an 89 Dominator that satisfies a need for nostalgia and qualifies for Classic events in my Vet and vintage MCC. It is also easy on the eye. My KTM 690 is there to deal with my Trail and Offroad expeditions. It is also a thrilling motorcycle on the road, a nice side benefit. Then there is the Triumph which is there for touring two up with my Wife. It is also a thrilling solo bike. The NC was purchased solely for the need of a very economical runabout that will allow me continue to ride several times a week without putting too much pressure on finances. Now that its suspension is almost sorted, it is also a thrilling little motorcycle on a twisty backroad.

In summary, for me, the primary purchasing criteria was to satisfy a need. The added benefits were a welcome bonus all round.

A need for nostalgia? Come on, that's desire and you know it.

As for needing trail and off-road expeditions... unless the only source of water is miles out a rocky trail and you're hunting for small game along the way... it's still desire.

Two up with the wife? Yep, desire and hopefully a bit of lust too :D

You have 3 other bikes, but you needed an NC for economy to somehow save money? I'm gonna call that want... but then you even admit it's a thrill too.

See, told ya :p

You have 3 other bikes, but you needed an NC for economy to somehow save money? I'm gonna call that want... but then you even admit it's a thrill too.:p

OK, I will qualify the need of the NC for economy. I retired in 2012. There were four bikes already in place that had been purchased when I was still working and on a full salary. After retirement my income reduced considerably and I definitely needed a bike that would not break the bank in daily running costs, hence the NC. It replaced the trusty old FJS600 that had carried me to work daily for many years. The best I had ever achieved on the FJS was about 55 mpg

You know what? Guys? Just to walk the talk, I am fairly tempted to just buy one BMW or Ducati etc and just park it there (although many here have read what I said about not having enough time to ride).

Sent from my LG-D955 using Tapatalk

OK, I will qualify the need of the NC for economy. I retired in 2012. There were four bikes already in place that had been purchased when I was still working and on a full salary. After retirement my income reduced considerably and I definitely needed a bike that would not break the bank in daily running costs, hence the NC. It replaced the trusty old FJS600 that had carried me to work daily for many years. The best I had ever achieved on the FJS was about 55 mpg

Just the added insurance costs per year and maintenance costs will eat up any "savings" by having an extra motorcycle. It rarely ever "pays" to add more vehicles to one's inventory....

Just the added insurance costs per year and maintenance costs will eat up any "savings" by having an extra motorcycle. It rarely ever "pays" to add more vehicles to one's inventory....

Everone's insurance costs will vary, but I find that once I have a motorcycle policy in place, it costs me very little to add more bikes to it. No, it doesn't "pay", but it doesn't cost much either.

Most maintenance costs are usage dependant, like tires, oil, air filters, valve adjustments, etc. So splitting the mileage between two or more bikes makes little difference in my case. Plus, when one is down for maintenance, the other(s) can be ridden.

One thing that does add cost in proportion to the number of machines is license tags.

Last edited:
Back