• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016 BMW R1200RS - Talk me off the edge

If I was a good 8" shorter I'd be on the R or RS right now. I've wanted either for years but with a 37" inseam they are nowhere close enough in fit for the cost.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The Dry Clutch is another reason I won't have a earlier twin (owned a couple....) the bike has to be stripped down to a silly level to replace the clutch (see above photo!)
My last R1200RT clutch started to slip with only 25,000 miles on the clock :(
Something very wrong there. Possibly a clutch slave cylinder leaking into the clutch. I've seen many of them go over 100,000 miles.

They have moved the clutch to the front of the engine (and changed it to a wet clutch) on the Watercooled bikes which makes a lot of sense!

Yes it does Andy, but now, with the liquid cooled bikes, you have to split the bike to change the alternator stator. Ask someone with an F800 if that ever happens.

Airheads generally are split in two by 65 to 75,000 miles. Mine went to 78,000. Transmission troubles or stripped input shaft splines.

After.

The NC is the modern airhead with far better handling, brakes, reliability.

I'm getting weak in the knees for this new Beemer - 125hp and about the same weight as my DCT...Shaft drive and electronic cruise control. 45+ mpg...Of course I could buy 2 1/2 new NCs for what BMW is asking but dayum, I REALLY like this bike! I live about 40 miles from the largest BMW dealer in the country (MAX BMW) and he has a bunch of these in stock.....I must be strong!

2016-BMW-R-1200-RS-from-the-side-L.jpg

Look at what you have started ........Biiiiigggg debate on BM reliability. I also have one of the so called "less reliable" brands, Triumph. There has been a lot of warranty on it but I still have it and am keeping fingers crossed, because it is an otherwise really nice bike. I also have a KTM. They need looking after but those I have owned have not let me down. They also have given me much joy in ownership. One of them (950SM) is probably the most fun I ever had on a motorcycle. Most issues have been with European bikes over the years. I have never regretted owning them though.

What have you decided ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Airheads generally are split in two by 65 to 75,000 miles. Mine went to 78,000. Transmission troubles or stripped input shaft splines.

If you want to avoid rather than repair transmission troubles and stripped input shaft splines on airheads, you have to split it more frequently than that. Mine get pulled early to check everything out (and add a 5th gear circlip if it isn't there). Then they get pulled every 20,000 for spline lube and seal checks. Even if you do everything right, they usually need bearings and re-shimming at 100-120K. But there are airheads running around with over 500,000 miles on them. The top ends will have been rebuilt, but the bottom end, trans (including input shaft), and final drive will still be original. The bikes are infinitely renewable. My 1976 R75 is ready for a cross-country trip at any time. I've given it to my son in perfect shape, and if he takes care of it, he can pass it on when his time on earth is done. The Japanese stuff, though more reliable, is less durable and tends to degenerate to a throw-away state. The other thing limiting life-long service is limited availability of spares. Some (but not all) new parts are still available from the factory for 50 year old BMWs. Honda seems to begin dropping spare part coverage after about ten years.

It is a different mentality. Not better. Not worse. Different.

Last edited:
After looking at those pictures the idea that there are different motorcycle people is really brought home. Those are like a horror show to me. I don't even like to check the air in my tires or lube the chain, in fact I rarely do either. I can't get my head around the idea that disassembling a bike like that and "tinkering" would be part of the enjoyment but I admire your ability and take you at your word that it's part of the charm. For me, no way!

Great thread and I really appreciate the respectful expression of very different opinions. And I will admit a few more trips to the Bmw website (funny I was there just a couple days before this thread started) because damn that r1200rs is sexy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to avoid rather than repair transmission troubles and stripped input shaft splines on airheads, you have to split it more frequently than that. Mine get pulled early to check everything out (and add a 5th gear circlip if it isn't there). Then they get pulled every 20,000 for spline lube and seal checks. Even if you do everything right, they usually need bearings and re-shimming at 100-120K. But there are airheads running around with over 500,000 miles on them. The top ends will have been rebuilt, but the bottom end, trans (including input shaft), and final drive will still be original. The bikes are infinitely renewable. My 1976 R75 is ready for a cross-country trip at any time. I've given it to my son in perfect shape, and if he takes care of it, he can pass it on when his time on earth is done. The Japanese stuff, though more reliable, is less durable and tends to degenerate to a throw-away state. The other thing limiting life-long service is limited availability of spares. Some (but not all) new parts are still available from the factory for 50 year old BMWs. Honda seems to begin dropping spare part coverage after about ten years.

It is a different mentality. Not better. Not worse. Different.
Better? Worse? Isn't it ridiculous to design a motorcycle that has to be disassembled every 20,000 miles to grease a part that routinely went 150,000 miles in other brands without seeing the light of day? Bring up spline failures and the apologists bring up "well, if the motorcycle was serviced properly it wouldn't fail until 75,000 miles". I learned to move the tranny back 3/4" to get to the splines at a major service but that was because many owners before me lost the splines way before 78,000 miles. It's not many motorcycle owners that have a spare transmission on the shelf but I did that too. My R100 had 118,xxx miles on it when I sold it and all the spare parts.

BMW long ago threw away the airhead's reputation for perceived reliability. Today's grandson likely won't be riding his grandpa's BMW in his time. You don't want to bring up the persistent and well known issues that plague "modern" BMWs.

Still, life is too short to ride the wrong motorcycle. One should get what they want and enjoy it. Someone already said that many people can't or won't understand why I so enjoy an inexpensive 48 hp motorcycle. I probably won't enjoy it as much if I spent $15,000 on it thinking I could turn it into a BMW.

If it has two wheels, a motor, and a cycle frame it is a good motorcycle or good motorscooter. No such thing as a bad motorcycle or motorscooter!! They are all good to me. If it can be ridden, it is a RIDE!

This is headed for the ditch. I'm out of the discussion. Carry on. BMW's are ridiculous. Hondas are perfect.

Well, come on. . . , it is the NC700-Forum. I wouldn't expect most members here to understand or embrace the BMW way (me included).

I must say the thread is very educational. I had no idea what Beemer owners went through. I don't mean that to judge whether it's good or bad for anyone or everyone, just that it surprised me.

It's helpful for anyone contemplating a BMW purchase to have this background info.

Last edited:
as I am no mechanic, and in no way rich enough for dealer maintenance (the NC airbox is different, gonna pay, I am lazy and dont want to take the fairings off alone). Because of this I am probably ever going to own a BMW of any kind. When I went looking for motorcycles, one of my criteria for buying one was going to be being able to get emergency service at nearly any shop. So, Honda was at the top of the list. Affordable to buy and to own.

HOWEVER

I would love to demo a ride on one of the big GS1200s at some point. Maybe even fly out to Colorado and do one of the guided adventure rides where everyone is on a GS. That way, I can still ride it and experience some of that expensive tech and not have the cost of ownership involved.

Last year I was able to demo a KTM Adventure 1290. It was fun, but damn that thing was tall. And by the end of the ride, my legs were boiling in my pants. It was fun, and while there was no off-roading, just street, I loved the power. 80 mph as I switched from 2nd to 3rd, and felt the pull again as the mph climbed. Not that speed is that important, it was just a neat feeling for me.

This is headed for the ditch. I'm out of the discussion. Carry on. BMW's are ridiculous. Hondas are perfect.

Don't jump - I'm enjoying very much reading your posts and learning. We have different tastes in motorcycles but just like with women that's not a bad thing!

Yes it does Andy, but now, with the liquid cooled bikes, you have to split the bike to change the alternator stator. Ask someone with an F800 if that ever happens.
It makes you wonder how the designers can come up with really bad ideas like that!

Andy

I had a BMW G650gs (2009). I really enjoyed the bike for 4 years (36,000 miles); even when I almost turned it into a submarine (I hate water crossings, even the back roads where the water goes over the road bridge instead of under it). The reason I traded it for the Honda-thumper.....after a 2000 mile road trip, on the way back the noise from the thumper started getting on my nerves, decided then to trade it. Specs are about the same for both bikes; seat height, weight, HP, sitting position, mpg, top end speed, etc. While the valves on the Honda are a breeze to do, it was a pita on the 650gs, but the air filter on the 650gs was about a 10 minute job-start to finish, and the front plastic on g650gs are attached by screws, instead of the stupid clips. If I had the money, I would have one of the new bmw G1200s' in my garage, used for the long highway miles I do (or maybe a new Goldwing....oops, Honda could win again).
If the BMW trips your trigger, go for it. Life is too short.....

.....after a 2000 mile road trip, on the way back the noise from the thumper started getting on my nerves, decided then to trade it.

/off topic: Same with the DR350 I had. I spent a fortune on a Supertrapp muffler which has adjustable baffling plates that you can add or subtract in order to suit the noise vs power ratio. Adding discs increases power and noise, taking them away reduces both. Stacking on enough discs to make power (very noticeably better! :eek: ) But unfortunately the sound was so irritating it gave me splitting headaches. I just couldn't stand it.

Removing all the plates to make it bearable, made it all clogged up feeling and worse power than stock, so in the end I removed it and put the OEM muffler back on. :(

Late the conversation but I say get the bike if that is what you desire. Who care about the potential maintenance problems? I don't let that sway my decision. I'll deal with those when they happen. It's only money, right? In the meantime your loving the piss out of your new bike. I say get it if you really want it.

That saying"it's only money". So misleading. Unless you're given it, it represents your life. It takes time to make it and time is all we have. I'd rather spend my time riding. ....

Last edited:
Back