• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2014 NC700X - Not 750

I wish that Honda would have realized how silly their original idea of making a deliberately vibrate-y engine in order to "suite mature tastes" was and just went with the dual balancers from the git-go.

I mean seriously... did they just finish reading a romance novel or something?

(Quoted from here.)
I have a different opinion on this. Honda has a reputation in the community for bland vanilla characterless engines. As a New Concept design I think it was important to design in some character in order to bring attention to the different approach this project took on the way to fruition. Honda's engineering talent could have built a parallel twin so smooth it could have passed for an electric motor but the critics would have heaped derision on a smooth as glass underpowered engine as another bland Honda. Just my 2 cents.

I don't disagree with that, but I also think that this design already has character that goes beyond an engine that vibrates. The 270 degree crankshaft, which isn't something that's commonly done (that I know of), is torquey and distinct sounding. The frunk/fuel tank placement makes the bike stand out. The roller cams and camshaft driven water pump leaves a positive impression on the folks that work on these bikes, as well as serve to impress the fuelly-frugal among us. Entire "new concept" paradigm is character. For me, all that the missing counterbalancer achieves is an annoying buzz of the frunk latch at 4000 RPM. That's my $0.02. :)

Maybe that [latch] buzz] is something wrong with your particular example. Mine doesn't do that and I describe the vibrations more as a soft pulsing than annoying buzz or tingle. The motor doesn't vibrate as much as pulse but I guess the feel is subjective. I like it but then I might be a hopeless romantic.

Yes, there is frunk latch buzz. Not easy to realize, but you can tell when using a camera mounted on frunk lid. Even with image stabilization it will shake badly at certain revs. However, this can be reduced by putting in some rubber layer near the latch or just loading frunk to the top. I did some trip videos this way and there was no trouble with vibration as long as frunk was filled up.

I am happy Honda did it like it is. Being a thumper rider I would most likely not have considered this a valid ride for myself otherwise. Usually I prefer thumpers over any 2, 3 or 4cyl bikes by far.

Meh

Sent using modern dance.

Interesting reply, but going by your original comment - not surprising.
Perhaps I may point you to the top of the page on this forum - Please note the words 'International Online NC Community', but obviously not in your closed mind.
I'm glad there's other NC forums where members aren't so ignorant to people from other countries.

the increase to mpg only apply to the 'S' model due to having a bit more power.
as you all may know the 'S' is a naked model ,more wind resistance so by have that bit more power will take less effort to reach the speed your after.
the X model dct is to remain as is 51bhp but others will increase to 54bhp and abs as standard.
this what I've read so far.
when they talk of increase power theres not a lot of difference in my opinion, not that you will notice if your a steady rider and only do spirited riding now and again.
the only way you'll notice if riding side by side etc.

Honda's engineering talent could have built a parallel twin so smooth it could have passed for an electric motor
I wish they had. My NC is very smooth from 65 to 80 mph when riding with a steady throttle. But acceleration creates a vibration that does not exude quality to me. It is a very fine bike, but I find the rough engine to be my only disappointment.

I wish they had. My NC is very smooth from 65 to 80 mph when riding with a steady throttle. But acceleration creates a vibration that does not exude quality to me. It is a very fine bike, but I find the rough engine to be my only disappointment.

I must have gotten lucky because mine really isn't that bad. If I had not read peoples comments about vibration I would never had thought about it. I have either never ridden something with a smooth engine or I have always ridden on terrible roads. I guess ignorance is bliss on my part.

I agree with SergeantChuck. As a retired dealer, over the years I drove a lot of different shapes and sizes of motorcycles. The NC700 is a very quite two cylinder engine. Compare it with a six cylinder engine and you could say it vibrates, but not with a 2 cylinder engine. Harley says the vibration in their shake, raddle, and roll two cylinder engine is character. Glad Honda did not follow that character!

I guess it's all relative. I swapped bikes with a Harley rider once for a trip to the local eatery, and man... I thought my nuts were going to vibrate off. Compared to that, the NC feels like a cloud, and the other guy even said as such. All in all, even with the missing counterbalancer, the NC is nothing to complain about.

The other side of the pond is like Pluto, we know it's there but no one really cares. j/k

Haven't noticed a lot of support for your statement from people on this side of the pond, so you might want to change the "we" to "I". (Honestly -- no offense intended, but I really don't appreciate being lumped into that group.)

Haven't noticed a lot of support for your statement from people on this side of the pond, so you might want to change the "we" to "I". (Honestly -- no offense intended, but I really don't appreciate being lumped into that group.)

It was meant to be a lame joke, no need to be butt hurt over it.

This is all relative to each motorcyclist. I traded in my BMW g650gs thumper for the nc700. The g650gs thumper, by comparison to other thumpers is smooth for a 650 thumper; however, compared to the NC700, the 650gs thumper was a paint can shaker.
The NC700 also has less vibes than my Suzuki 805 cc C50 Boulevard.
Some riders notice the hint of vibrations while others either don't notice vibes at all or get use to it and no longer pays attention to it (as in my case with the g650gs).

Before this thread veers out of control, everyone please stop with the stuff you know doesn't belong in it...

Disclaimer: NC700x or NC750x is too much bike for my riding skill for now. I read a lot of current NC700x owners are very happy with their bike. My question is for new potential buyers like myself, why would you buy a 2014 NC700x in North America when you know the NC750x will come eventually? Same goes for 2014 CBR300R. It will be interesting to compare sale figures between 2013 and 2014 for these 2 bikes.

PS: I lust over the 2014 CB650F too.

There is no guarantee the 750 will come to the USA or that the 700 will continue to be sold after 2014.

There is no guarantee the 750 will come to the USA or that the 700 will continue to be sold after 2014.

Does anybody else get the feeling Honda gathered up the remaining unsold 2013 models, swapped out a few bits, and is going to sell them as the US version of the 2014 model?

Nothing to base it on whatsoever, but I can't help wondering if the US market isn't about to be fed table scraps.

Back