• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

16k miles valve adjustment on 2014????

mreric

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
did something change in 2014 ?

I am reading the manual of my 2014. the valve inspection said to be 16k!!! yes i read it twice it said to be miles. not KM

i thought it was 8k in 2012... maybe honda learning about the engine and realized that it does not need valve adjutment that often

am not complaining... but this is not a typo from honda right?

my old aprilia manual was full of typos....

Last edited:
It was... I don't know if the old schedule was excessive and they corrected it, but I believe that they changed it due to the cost. The 12.000Km service cost me 180€. With the valve adjustment would be about 220-250€... Crazy...

I am delighted to hear this. I still haven't done the valve clearances on my 700 (through laziness) at about 20,000kms. Now I can leave it another while. :cool:

I own a 2012 and my dealer from the beginning wanted to wait until until 16,000 miles. I forced them to do it at 12,0000. They commented many times over that doing it at 8,000 was a waste. At the 12,000 they only made very slight adjustments. Nothing was out of tolerance. I'm sure they are getting a lot of feedback from dealers like that.

I have put 26000 miles on my Honda SH300i without going anywhere near the valves. My scoot pulls like a train. I have saved many £'s in servicing, by doing all the servicing myself, but have thought the valves deserve some love. The mechanic at the dealers can do it after I've part exchanged her :)

Hope to be the owner of a shiny new NC750x or Integra soon, but need to test ride both before I can decide .

ibob

Hope to be the owner of a shiny new NC750x or Integra soon, but need to test ride both before I can decide .
ibob

Watcha waitin on iBob? You aren't getting any younger!

I adjusted my valves at 8,000 miles. While the were not too far out, the adjustment was needed (exhausts from #1 and intakes from #2) and the engine is a little quieter rattle wise. Now I've been there - done that. I think they would have made it to 16K but I'm glad I did it or I wouldn't have seen the bad timing chain tensioner which could have been a disaster if it broke completely.

I've had to adjust mine a tad at every 8000 mile interval. Not much but enough to be concerned that I wouldn't take a chance on waiting for another 8000 miles. If they haven't tightened up on this inspection, I may wait a little longer next time. . YMMV

I remember that there is 16 k interval on CBR. Nothing unusual. Honda probably collect enough info on this one and now confident about it up to 16k

I suppose it is best to compare like with like. Not many modern bikes have a valve train like the NC. Most of the other Hondas have a bucket and shim arrangement on which adjustment is rarely needed. My GL1800 still didn't need adjustment at 35,000 miles. Accordingly they cannot be compared with the NC for valve clearance adjustment norms. However from what I can see on here, most folks who did the adjustment at 8,000 miles, found the exhaust valve clearances, in some instances, on the tight side of spec. That of course would allow the bikes to go another 8000 miles before needing serious adjustment.

My Triumph had 10,000 mile intervals when it came on the market first. After the first year Triumph moved that interval to 20,000 miles. I have no doubt that both triumph and Honda were playing safe with a new engine with the smaller intervals.

did something change in 2014 ?
Yes. But whatever was changed was obviously only changed in the 2014+ models. Anyone with an older bike (and the older parts, whatever they were) should still inspect their valves every 8,000 miles. The latest OEM Service manual from Honda has different maintenance schedules for model years after 2013. The manual clearly states '12-'13 models are to be inspected every 8,000 miles and newer bikes every 16,000. That increased interval is NOT retroactive to the earlier models.

2012 to 2013 bikes are identical, starting with the 2014 Honda started making subtle changes to the original.

Just a guess, but since the 750 also has 16K adjustment intervals maybe they are using the valve train parts developed for the newer 750 in an effort to reduce costs.

Last edited:
I suppose it is best to compare like with like. Not many modern bikes have a valve train like the NC. Most of the other Hondas have a bucket and shim arrangement on which adjustment is rarely needed. My GL1800 still didn't need adjustment at 35,000 miles. Accordingly they cannot be compared with the NC for valve clearance adjustment norms. However from what I can see on here, most folks who did the adjustment at 8,000 miles, found the exhaust valve clearances, in some instances, on the tight side of spec. That of course would allow the bikes to go another 8000 miles before needing serious adjustment.

My Triumph had 10,000 mile intervals when it came on the market first. After the first year Triumph moved that interval to 20,000 miles. I have no doubt that both triumph and Honda were playing safe with a new engine with the smaller intervals.
Agree completely. This engine is a blend of old (rocker arms and lock nut adjustment tappets) and new (aluminum roller bearing on cam rocker arms) technology and I think Honda choose a conservative valve check interval to be on the safe side. In common use the engine seems to be able to live a long time with the longer 16,000 mile interval now recommended. FWIW I've done mine three times at +/- 8,000 miles and several valves needed adjustment each time. I wouldn't ignore the check/adjustments altogether - this isn't a shim under bucket design - .

I think valves needing adjusting is based on the way the rider rides (this is just my opinion, no flaming please). When my buddy and myself checked my valves at 8000 miles, the only valve needing adjustment was the valve we played with the night before (I had never done a valve adjustment and he was showing me the feel). I think if a rider bogs the engine numerous times, or not shifting properly, the valves get out of adjustment. Also, since you use 'feeler' gauges and have to 'feel' for the adjustment, and every single person has a different feel, what is loose or tight for one person could be normal for someone else and vice versa, especially since the tolerances are so small.

I have a 2007 Suzuki C50 Boulevard with 70,000+ miles (it is NOT bucket and shim) and it is my test bike on how long a valve clearance check can go. Its valve clearance check is at 3000 mile intervals (per owners manual), and for the first 28,000 miles, I had them checked at those intervals. With all those checks, not once did they have to be adjusted. No checks since 28,000 miles and the bike is still running great (knock on wood). It is my commuter bike (due to the miles on it- 80 miles per day round trip). I know it could go bad at any time, but I have got every penny out of it since I bought it new. No issues-just oil, rear-end fluid change (shaft drive), gas, and those first 9 valve checks.

anyone has any hard data if there was a change in the engine? like part changes?

the "I heard...." , "I guess.... " is cool data to have, but having hard facts on paper is even better.

Last edited:
I wouldn't ignore the check/adjustments altogether - this isn't a shim under bucket design - .

Point taken. However I do not think the level of adjustment required would be too much beyond spec to be a problem if left to 16,000 miles ?

I asked someone in the CTX forum and the 2104 CTX700 are still at 8000 miles.

I wonder if Honda has just not gotten around to updating the manual, maybe collecting more data before doing so?

maybe there is an actual difference in the engines?

I wonder if Honda has just not gotten around to updating the manual
My service manual is relatively updated. Printed in November, 2013 it includes 2 separate maintenance schedules for the NC700x. One is for early bikes (8,000 mile valves) and the other is for 2014 models (16,000 miles). A 3rd maintenance schedule is for the NC750 and also has 16,000 valve inspection intervals.

Odd that Honda didn't change it for the earlier bikes if all the parts are exactly the same in the two engines...

Back