• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

16k miles valve adjustment on 2014????

My service manual is relatively updated. Printed in November, 2013 it includes 2 separate maintenance schedules for the NC700x. One is for early bikes (8,000 mile valves) and the other is for 2014 models (16,000 miles). A 3rd maintenance schedule is for the NC750 and also has 16,000 valve inspection intervals.

Odd that Honda didn't change it for the earlier bikes if all the parts are exactly the same in the two engines...
Then maybe something changed. Would love to dig in and see what actually changed.

Then maybe something changed. Would love to dig in and see what actually changed.

Other than the second balancer shaft that was added, the change in block and/or cases to accommodate the slightly wider engine due to this, (and the barrels, pistons, rings in the 750's of course), the revised transmission gearing, I haven't seen or heard anything else off hand yet, but am always keeping on the look out for such stuff. I like knowing these things just for curiousity sake. ;)

Other than the second balancer shaft that was added, the change in block and/or cases to accommodate the slightly wider engine due to this, (and the barrels, pistons, rings in the 750's of course), the revised transmission gearing, I haven't seen or heard anything else off hand yet, but am always keeping on the look out for such stuff. I like knowing these things just for curiousity sake. ;)
But all those changes were only to the 750 right?

What about the 2014 700 ? Any changes .

I really hope that one day these engine in motorcycle become more like cars . No valve adjustment. 100k spark plugs . And 10k oil changes.

But all those changes were only to the 750 right?

What about the 2014 700 ? Any changes .

Hmm... I hadn't thought the US engine was that far off the rest of the world, only remaining 670cc but everything else new, but looking at the specs, the 2014 700 still lists just the uniaxial single counter balancer. :confused:

I totally don't understand why the US is the only place to have this departure! It makes no sense.

I remember back in the 80's, when Harley was complaining that they were being cheated in sales somehow, that the US had a bizarre 700cc model where everywhere else in the world got 750's. (A huge import tarriff was placed on any foreign bike greater than 701cc so the big 4 made all their USA 750 bikes 700's instead)

L.B.S.;104648 I totally don't understand why the US is the only place to have this departure! It makes no sense. )[/QUOTE said:
Motorcycle Consumer News August 2014 ( page 4) was asked why no NC750 for the US market?

Answer from American Honda press member at the VFR800 launch .....

" American Honda did consider importing the updated 750 version, but owners survey have shown that buyers of the NC700x are satisfied with its performance and appreciate its value for the money at the current MSRP do $7799".

Translation PRICE $$$$$$. The US market will tolerate a price increase no matter how small !!!!!!!

My service manual is relatively updated. Printed in November, 2013 it includes 2 separate maintenance schedules for the NC700x. One is for early bikes (8,000 mile valves) and the other is for 2014 models (16,000 miles). A 3rd maintenance schedule is for the NC750 and also has 16,000 valve inspection intervals.

Odd that Honda didn't change it for the earlier bikes if all the parts are exactly the same in the two engines...
It would interesting if the only difference in the rocker arm assembly is a "we hardened this or that". We could buy a new rocker arm assembly and run it.
Maybe too much thinking going on my head?

Every group has folks that neglect maintenance and "nothing bad ever happens". That's fine for them until something bad does happen or until they ride a maintained machine and it feels newer, tighter, firmer, smoother, etc. than theirs does. Until you have something to compare to its difficult to feel small changes that occur over time.

It would be a reasonable change, though. Parts that _could_ have been changed to improve durability (longer-wearing):
--Valve seats
--Valves
--Lifters (the little screws that actually push on the valve stems)
--Cams

Anything else?

Last edited:
It would be a reasonable change, though. Parts that _could_ have been changed to improve durability (longer-wearing):
--Valve seats
--Valves
--Lifters (the little screws that actually push on the valve stems)
--Cams

Anything else?

i kind of glance over the parts catalogs for those parts you mention. I dont see any change in part #

Do you have a catalog printed up in 2012 or early 2013 that you're comparing a current one to? I would _not_ expect Honda to continue to make 2 separate parts if they're dimensionally identical (or even very close). They'd just up-spec the old models to the current parts. However, if you have archived a copy of the parts catalog that you obtained back in 2012, then that may lend credence to the idea that the parts are unchanged. OTOH, I suppose they could have changed the parts without changing the part numbers, possibly.

I went to some OEM parts sellers and compared the 2012 to 2014 valve components. Both have exactly the same parts numbers as expected. The 8k interval is still a good idea to check since it is such a simple process unlike most bikes. Once they are beaded in the valves should stay in adjustment for a much longer time. Shim under bucket valves can last longer in theory, but the tradeoff isn't worth it due to the complicated process of adjusting them. And they don't always last longer, there are lots of variables to consider.

Motorcycle Consumer News August 2014 ( page 4) was asked why no NC750 for the US market?
Answer from American Honda press member at the VFR800 launch .....
" American Honda did consider importing the updated 750 version, but owners survey have shown that buyers of the NC700x are satisfied with its performance and appreciate its value for the money at the current MSRP do $7799".

This is basically what I was also told by my dealer a while ago. Think of the value it had in 2012 when it listed at only $6999. Next year it will probably be $7999, and if it was a 750 the manual would probably be at least $8999 with anti-lock brakes.

I just traded my 2013 CB500F, (bucket/shim valve type arrangement), for the '14' NC700X as I really wanted something with longer legs for less RPM's on the highways, and more comfort. The '13' CB series has a valve check/adjust at 600 miles (mine was slightly out), but then for '14' didn't list it till 16,000 miles. Reasoning was that most bikes were still in spec, or not that far out, so the check wasn't needed. I guess those of us with 13's paid the Guinea-Pig tax... but mine was out of spec, so checking them was good.
I agree that the adjustment procedure on the bucket'shim type is much harder than the NC, which is another reason I bought it. ;) Easier to measure and turn some screws than taking measurements and having to possibly order bucket shims in the size you want; or pre-order every size you may need.

Oh yeah..HI everyone! :D

You're late! That was supposed to have been your third valve check! :p

Manual says nothing about valves in 100,000 mile service list. Dealer says it is not normal part of 100,000 mile service. They are hydraulic which supposedly do not need regular service. Not an expert on valves, but dealer has treated me well and probably wouldn't pass up the extra maintenance fee if recommended. Same dealer has done all maintenance for last 280,000 miles.

Manual says nothing about valves in 100,000 mile service list. Dealer says it is not normal part of 100,000 mile service. They are hydraulic which supposedly do not need regular service. Not an expert on valves, but dealer has treated me well and probably wouldn't pass up the extra maintenance fee if recommended. Same dealer has done all maintenance for last 280,000 miles.
If I'm not mistaken the Ridgeline engine has Honda's bread & butter V6. The variable valve timing system (VTEC) is hydraulic but the valves themselves are actuated by mechanical rocker arms acting directly off the camshafts, much like a motorcycle. I think the owners manual states valves only need adjustment when "noisy" and they never get noisy.

If I'm not mistaken the Ridgeline engine has Honda's bread & butter V6. The variable valve timing system (VTEC) is hydraulic but the valves themselves are actuated by mechanical rocker arms acting directly off the camshafts, much like a motorcycle. I think the owners manual states valves only need adjustment when "noisy" and they never get noisy.

Agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

... valves only need adjustment when "noisy" and they never get noisy.

That is what dealer said, but there were other symptoms. I had check engine and VTM-4 warning lights on. Leak in valve cover gasket was fixed and believed to be the culprit letting a little oil get where it wasn't supposed to be, but the lights came back on. Went back in at their cost and adjusted the valves. It is running smoother than before the service. This morning, 350 miles later, the check engine light was on again. I'll go see them again when I get back to town.

What year is your Ridge? Mine's a '13.

The valves on the J35 in the Ridgeline are screw adjuster just like on the NCX, and the manual specifies inspection when the Maintenance Minder gives the "4" sub-code. That's the same sub-code as the spark plug and timing belt replacement, and water pump inspection. The code comes on in the 100,000 - 120,000 miles range. The manual also specifies a valve adjustment during any A, B, 1, 2, or 3 maintenance code _if_ they're noisy.

The valves on these engines often wear tight rather than loose (at least on the exhaust side), and so they won't be noisy before the "4" sub-code comes on. Were yours tight, loose, or about right? Has your trucklet been good to you?

Back