• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

10,000 MILES !!!... All SMILES!! .. NO CORD !! DId the TUBE keep it alive?!

Tire manufacturers state that inserting a tube in a tubeless tire reduces it's speed rating by at least one value due to the increased heat it generates. In our case that probably is no problem - the OEM tires are rated to 149+ mph and the bike cannot get much over 110 mph. H rated tires to 130 mph would suffice. Still, most dealers would probably not do this as it increases their exposure to liability. I would think a tube increases tire wear because of the extra heat.

My stock Metzler Z8s went about 8000 miles on the back and the front was still above the wear indicators at 14,000 when I replaced both with a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3s. Based on the PR3 wear patterns on my ST1300 I expect to boost rear mileage to at least 12000 on the 700X. We shall see.

Called the dealership this morning and talked to a knowledgeable person. He said they can put a tube in it, but said that he would need to cut the old valve stem off and that the rim is not designed for tubes. I told him I wanted my old tire saved (only has 287 miles on it) in the event this happens again. Might even sell it.

Chances are when the time comes, I will buy a couple dunlop elite III's. I have them on my old CB750K and love them.

Tire manufacturers state that inserting a tube in a tubeless tire reduces it's speed rating by at least one value due to the increased heat it generates. In our case that probably is no problem - the OEM tires are rated to 149+ mph and the bike cannot get much over 110 mph. H rated tires to 130 mph would suffice. Still, most dealers would probably not do this as it increases their exposure to liability. I would think a tube increases tire wear because of the extra heat.

What is "1 Value"?

And Ya, we are nowhere near the top-speed rating to begin with...lol

I was unaware that a tube increases heat and thhus reduces tire life. So I guess I may have got a couple more 1000's out of the rear if I never punctured it.
So were you showing cord at 8k on the rear Metzler?

Called the dealership this morning and talked to a knowledgeable person. He said they can put a tube in it, but said that he would need to cut the old valve stem off and that the rim is not designed for tubes. I told him I wanted my old tire saved (only has 287 miles on it) in the event this happens again. Might even sell it.

Chances are when the time comes, I will buy a couple dunlop elite III's. I have them on my old CB750K and love them.

So the dealer is changing their story now?!? ...lol :rolleyes:
Ya, they did cut off the valve stem, but it obviously worked fine when they pulled the tube's stem through the hole.... I will ask my Mechanic what type or brand of tube he used on my bike, so you can reference it later.

So the dealer is changing their story now?!? ...lol :rolleyes:
Ya, they did cut off the valve stem, but it obviously worked fine when they pulled the tube's stem through the hole.... I will ask my Mechanic what type or brand of tube he used on my bike, so you can reference it later.

Cool, I appreciate it. I probably will sell the old tire for cheap for someone looking to replace a stock tire with tube.

Back