• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

10,000 MILES !!!... All SMILES!! .. NO CORD !! DId the TUBE keep it alive?!

Jay Fridays

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles (or Kliometers) did you get out of your OEM TIRES ?!?!

I have about 10100 miles and still nothing!! :rolleyes:

I have seen people showing steel belt at as little as 5k miles... I really don't understand how that's possible. That seems too little of use.

It's definitely time to change em...lol

However, Did the extended life have something to do with having a tube put in the rear tire when it was still new?!?

I got a nail after a couple days of owning the brand new bike. Tires only had a couple hundred miles (maybe less, can't really remember) The shop put the tube in for me cause the tire was still in great condition. THe replacement cost about $50 total, and I was off...

Would the tube keep the tire wear down? By somehow redirecting the pressure exerted on the tire? Just curious because I seem to have a lot more use than many have mentioned.

Or is this just cause I ride on decently paved roads in the city/freeways? DO alot of people get around 10,ooo miles before cord shows?

I ride pretty hard on my bike. I cruise around 80-90mph and get through Hollywood/LA/Sand Fernando Valley with record speeds/times...lol (A ton of start/stop)

ANyone have similar experience, or knowledge on the subject? :confused:

PICTURES WILL COME BACK ON THE 18th...lol. I EXCEEDED MY BANDWITH FOR THE MONTH...

Last edited:
The type of road surface makes a big difference in longevity. We have a bunch of chip-n-seal roads that are like 20 grit sandpaper which tends to eat tires pretty quickly.
Mike

Hollywood has its share of potholes, but overall, the roads are not bad in So Cal. Anyone else from So Cal have a mile count on their stock tires?

Last edited:
Changed the rear out at my 8k service. Still had tread, but did 5,000mi the following 2 wks and didn't want to deal with a tire change. Front got replaced at....15,500? Have 8.5k on rear Avon now, and it looks like it might make 10k.

I only have 3000 miles on the NC so the tires are still fine. On previous bikes I've gotten as low as 6700 on a set of PR2s (ST 1300 rear). If I take a long trip out of state I always extend tire wear. Got 11k out of one rear PR2 but 7000 miles were out of state on one trip.
Mike

OK, well , I suppose I'm right on track then. I was just confused reading these threads about cord at 5k miles.... I suppose we are just fortunate enough to have decent transit authorities....

I'm gonna be replacing my rear on Wednesday when my new set arrives.

Change both front and rear tires at 12,000. I have almost 7,000 on the new set of tires. I have stayed with the Bridgestone 023 Touring Tires. I really like these tires. I went down in Alaska on the Dalton Hwy, and I can guarantee these tires being street tires had nothing to do with the accident. The cause of this accident was my speed and nothing else. Can only blame me. I figured that they would both be flat as hard as I hit the hole that put me down. My shoulder came completely out of the socket from impact before I even hit the ground, yet the tires held. Heck, I even figured my rims would have been squared as hard as I hit the hole.

I just got back from the doctor, I didn't do as good as the tires. I will be down from 8 to 16 weeks. Still have to have a CAT scan with the dyes in my system before I am going to know if I have to have an operation. The shoulder is broken in three places.

Change both front and rear tires at 12,000. I have almost 7,000 on the new set of tires. I have stayed with the Bridgestone 023 Touring Tires. I really like these tires. I went down in Alaska on the Dalton Hwy, and I can guarantee these tires being street tires had nothing to do with the accident. The cause of this accident was my speed and nothing else. Can only blame me. I figured that they would both be flat as hard as I hit the hole that put me down. My shoulder came completely out of the socket from impact before I even hit the ground, yet the tires held. Heck, I even figured my rims would have been squared as hard as I hit the hole.

I just got back from the doctor, I didn't do as good as the tires. I will be down from 8 to 16 weeks. Still have to have a CAT scan with the dyes in my system before I am going to know if I have to have an operation. The shoulder is broken in three places.

Wow!! Glad to hear you're still kicking though... rough crash...ouchie..

SO, did you have the cord showing at 12k? Or just decided to do it? WHat is the expected longevity of the Bridgestone's? and how much were they?

I just got a set of Continental Motion tires for only $179 with shipping. They are cheap, but have great reviews.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with putting a tube in a tire to get the mileage it was intended to last. However, adding the tube causes some friction. So, added heat factor. This heat factor is why tubeless tires get better millage, than tube type. And yes, I would do just what you did! I still recommend RIDE ON in every new motorcycle tire, adds mileage because it keeps the tire in perfect balance no matter how much rubber wears off the tire. No, Ride On will not work in tube type tires. Only tubeless tires.

There is nothing wrong with putting a tube in a tire to get the mileage it was intended to last. However, adding the tube causes some friction. So, added heat factor. This heat factor is why tubeless tires get better millage, than tube type. And yes, I would do just what you did! I still recommend RIDE ON in every new motorcycle tire, adds mileage because it keeps the tire in perfect balance no matter how much rubber wears off the tire. No, Ride On will not work in tube type tires. Only tubeless tires.

Interesting... I have never tried "Ride On" before... DOes it really make that much difference? How much is it?

I have a funny story. I just got a screw through my rear tire on Friday, and according to the dealership they cannot put a tube on an NC700X rim. Also, given that the screw went through near the center of the tire, they said they could plug it but they advised against it.

Last edited:
I have a funny story. I just got a screw through my rear tire on Friday, and according to the dealership they cannot put a tube on an NC700X rim. Also, given that the screw went through near the center of the tire, they said they could plug it but they advised against it.

I have a funny story. I just got a screw through my rear tire, and according to the dealership they cannot put a tube in it.

WHy not?!?! Strange... Maybe it's a liability issue that the dealership does not want to assume? They do not wan;t to take the blame if an aftermarket tube fails? I don't really know...

In California it is illegal to patch a MC tire. A tube is the only option other than replacing the tire. No shop will, legally, patch a tire. And from what my mechanic told me, he will get a huge fine if he is caught patching a tire...lol

I've put 10,000 miles on this tube, so I know it's possible. And, my mechanic did it in a few minutes, so I know it was a regular tube they had in stock, and they put it on as simply as they would any other rim.

Interesting?!?!
:confused:

Last edited:
Well either I was lied to, or they have a point. I would have much rather gone the route of a tube vs buying another damn Metzeler brand new.

Well either I was lied to, or they have a point. I would have much rather gone the route of a tube vs buying another damn Metzeler brand new.

Ya, I don't know what to say...lol.
I was only $50 and I got 10k more miles out of the tire.... and still going for now.

I will ask my mechanic (not at honda dealership) if has heard anything about it. And, I will ask the dealership mechanic when I am in that area.
Maybe someone here has heard a similar story from a Honda Dealership?

Last edited:
I changed out my stock Metzeler's at about 9,200miles. Probably could have made it a little longer but I could tell it was close. With 100 mile commute round trip I didn't want to get to work and discover cord showing. Changed out both front and rear for Michelin PR3's. Supposedly people are getting excellent miles from them!

I changed out my stock Metzeler's at about 9,200miles. Probably could have made it a little longer but I could tell it was close. With 100 mile commute round trip I didn't want to get to work and discover cord showing. Changed out both front and rear for Michelin PR3's. Supposedly people are getting excellent miles from them!

Interesting... how do you like the PR3's ? How much were they ? And what is the average life of them?

How dangerous is it to ride with cord showing?

Interesting... how do you like the PR3's ? How much were they ? And what is the average life of them?

How dangerous is it to ride with cord showing?

How do like them? I love them! They are super grippy and the feel softer than the Metzelers. So with the combo of the new tires and the Seat Concepts seat cover it's a much more comfy ride.
Shortly after putting them on I went by a local Cycle Gear store near my work to pick up some things, and the clerk had a Honda sport bike that had the PR3's on it. I noticed the tread pattern right away. They also looked practically new. Get to talking to the clerk about his tires and he says that they have 7k miles on them! 7k miles and they still look like new! Made me glad I got them. I paid about $300 for the set from Motorcycle Superstore.com.

I think it's quite dangerous to ride with cord showing. You have less grip and the metal cord can heat up quickly from the friction of the road and cause the tire to catastrophically fail.

How do like them? I love them! They are super grippy and the feel softer than the Metzelers. So with the combo of the new tires and the Seat Concepts seat cover it's a much more comfy ride.
Shortly after putting them on I went by a local Cycle Gear store near my work to pick up some things, and the clerk had a Honda sport bike that had the PR3's on it. I noticed the tread pattern right away. They also looked practically new. Get to talking to the clerk about his tires and he says that they have 7k miles on them! 7k miles and they still look like new! Made me glad I got them. I paid about $300 for the set from Motorcycle Superstore.com.

I think it's quite dangerous to ride with cord showing. You have less grip and the metal cord can heat up quickly from the friction of the road and cause the tire to catastrophically fail.

Hmmmm?!? that sounds pretty good for mileage... unfortunately, I didn't have $300 and I needed tires... let us know how long they last you. I will do the same with these...

Back