• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First impressions Michelin Road 5's on my 2021

Got to test the Road 5s on damp roads today (but not in a steady rain) and they held their lines just fine. No slip detected. Was riding curves within 2 mph of my normal dry road speeds.
I'm not sure if that tells much. I could say exactly the same of Shinko Ravens or Metzeler Z6s. There are many variables, like how sharp is the curve, what is the road surface, and what is your normal speed.

I'm not sure if that tells much. I could say exactly the same of Shinko Ravens or Metzeler Z6s. There are many variables, like how sharp is the curve, what is the road surface, and what is your normal speed.
That's true, but not sure how to define all those variables (I wasn't road racing, just out riding country curvy roads at around the 55 mph speed limit), so for me the Michelins stick in the curves I ride, at the same or nearly same speeds, wet or dry, without causing me any concerns, that's all I'm saying.

roads like these for example

GFVmRzMh.jpg

I thought I drove with an easy throttle, I don’t think I could get over 65, but I hit the highway often, which is 75mph, I’m sure that cuts it down some.

Well 20 days and 1000 miles in, the Road 5s haven't thrown me any surprises yet. No weird noises coming from the front, and of course no irregular tread deformities as would be expected at this mileage. Traction in the cold has not been an issue, although the coldest I have ridden on them in so far, is 28 degrees F.

I know it's early, but I said I'd keep the thread updated.

I had Pilot Road 2s and Road 4s on my ST1300. Always 42-42 PSI with over 25,000 km on each set of PR2s. I sold the bike on the first set of Road 4s so I can't comment on their longevity bu it seemed to me as good as the 2s. As wearing occurs, (for 2s and 4s) I had some humming at the front. As Ferret said, it was probably exacerbated by front fairing well. Now I have Road 5s on my NC. I'm still a big fan of Michelin even if I can hear some humming with the front wearing out. It also have a slight cupping effect. Maybe the humming is related to this cupping. I question myself if the recommended 36 psi for the front is enough?

On pics below, the rear is at 13,000 km and the front 9,500 km. I feel the front is wearing out faster than the rear. Another reason of debating about the 36 psi front. What do you think?

View attachment 47375
Just put a new Pilot Road 4 rear on but I still have my front Road 5 on, it's cupping too. But it probably has somewhere around 8k+ miles on it and has less tread than yours in your pic? Which is usually a sign of low psi, but I tend to run mine a little on the lower side for grip maximization through corners. If I'm going on a long trip that involves a lot of interstate riding, sometimes I will add a few psi for that trip. But usually I run 35-36 psi front and rear.

Everyone's opinions and situations differ, but I'm not running 42 psi in the rear tire on an NC. I don't even run 42 psi in either tire on my 850 bagger cruiser. I run 39-40 max in the cruiser. If I am riding the NC with hard cases loaded down with luggage and possibly with a passenger, I might bump it up to 38 psi in the rear. Will running 42 in the rear hurt it? Nah, I wouldn't think so other than maybe increasing center tread wear? Just doesn't seem necessary to me.

I've been rolling on R5s for the last three sets. I live in Washington. I shouldn't need to say why that might matter.

I find them to be tolerable, but not inspiring, in gravel. It can be done. Just not quickly.

Reactions: MZ5
I've been rolling on R5s for the last three sets. I live in Washington. I shouldn't need to say why that might matter.

I find them to be tolerable, but not inspiring, in gravel. It can be done. Just not quickly.
Does reducing psi help at all (in the gravel, not on the pavement)?

I cant tell you how the Michelins perform on gravel since I avoid gravel, sand etc at all costs ( I also avoid, dirt, mud and grass) I'm a concrete, black top or asphalt kinda guy. For me the Michelins are working just fine lol

Does reducing psi help at all (in the gravel, not on the pavement)?
That is a question I'll never be able to answer. I don't air down and my opinions on the matter approach "what's the best kind of oil" thread levels of unfounded certitude.

I run stock pressure no matter what I do :cool:

Reactions: MZ5
Back