• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

0-60

LBS I have the same aversion to owning any bike that can't ride 'slow' I test rode 14 bikes before i got the NC and have to say that although they were all bar one absolutely amazing machines the majority of them failed on the slow riding, The only ones that could do it were all the Triumphs (maybe its a 3 cylinder thing) and the NC
Mike

heh heh.

The funny thing is, outright speed or horsepower never really did anything for me with all my motorcycles, despite owning some that went ok in that regard, like GSXR1100's, Katana 1100's, my Turbo, Interceptors, etc.

(I will admit the rush of the Turbo hitting boost in 60mph+ roll ons was pretty addictive, since it decimated my GSXR1100 and my mate's GS1150ES *blush*)

But for the most part, I'm a slower, more technical, balance speed, "Trials/trail rider" liking kinda guy. Since I prefer this to high speed, it is insult to injury if my bike sucks at slow stuff, lol. I started off biking with XR75's, XL185's etc., off road, and this pretty much imprinted itself with me, for life.

PS, Original Poster-Sorry! Didn't mean to hijack thread or in any way poo poo a good 0-60 topic, lol! :eek:

Interesting commentary, gents. We all bought the NC to meet other needs (and speeding doesn't seem to be one of them, thankfully :))
0 to faster-than-the-other-vehicle has its place,
but equally important is 60 (or however fast) to 0.

Interesting graph. Confirms what I thought by seat-of-the-pants: The NCX and my older CBR600 make very roughly the same amount of power when cruising along at 60 mph in top gear. Open 'em both wide open from there and just hold 'em, though, and the steeper increase on the CBR becomes apparent pretty quickly...

Interesting comments about the smoothness of the NCX (and other Hondas) at very-low rpm. Long ago I bought a new Honda CRX. One of the sales points was that you could put your foot flat on the floor with the engine essentially at idle speed, but in 3rd (I think it was?) gear and it was still smooth as could be. Other cars I test drove at that time ranged from very vibratey to jerky. Dad said that was why they call it the Honda Motor Company. :)

Many of the people here CAN and MAY afford crouch-rockets like 1200cc 1400cc 10000cc bikes, but we don't.
We enjoy riding responsibly and I use the bike from 50-80%.

Do I want a crouch rocket, yes sure. For how often? When I see an axxhole on another bike revving his engine at me at the stop lights?
Do I race him? Hell yes. To hell, he or I will probably end up in.
How often? Here, zero chance. NO one does this. We are polite people.
Over at US or UK? Maybe 1-5% of the time? Dunno, never been there on a bike.

Will I pay 20k for this 5% chance window ("need")?
I am too old for this shit. My money is better used in other places.

Ride safe, ride and enjoy the roses...
Racing belongs on the TRACKS.
0-60 is a trick for the marketing department. Can you really achieve those numbers? If yes, so what? You feel invincible? Get a Batman suit.
:p

Wow! $20k for a play toy? No way! I got mine in a 3-way trade for an old dirt bike I hadn't ridden in a decade. From a purely economic standpoint, the NCX was an absolutely, disastrously horrible choice. Even its relatively low purchase price, by today's standards, will never EVER be paid for by its higher mpg than my previous bike. I guess that means I _didn't_ have better things to spend my money on? Oh, dear, that's a troubling thought... :)

Moral of the story: Be careful what you assume about sport bikes and their riders. I was merely providing, in what I _thought_ was a fairly low-key way (apparently not; sorry), some context for us when we talk about the 'lazy' power band of the NC.

Last edited:
I never bought mine with the expectation of paying for it with fuel economy vs. my prior bike. I wanted higher mileage on regular gas (and a lighter motorcycle) for solo rides to desolate places. If I had to bum a gallon of gas and had an NC700 I could ride comfortably for 70 more miles. If I had a gallon of gas and a BMW I could ride it for 40 miles and push it for 30 more. The first 40 do not make up for the last 30.

Why do some people feel the need to stereotype riders of certain bikes and then ridicule them just because they choose to enjoy motorcycling in a different way . Even on this friendly forum I have seen this happen with HD riders and very recently about sports bike riders. I know people from both groups and like any other groups of people they range from great people to real Aholes.*I'm sure that there is at least one of the latter riding a NC somewhere. I know I go on about not likeing scooters but I don't ridicule their riders. Live and let live I say
* The exception of course being Crossrunner riding Spurs fans who are all great guys :) :) :)

The more I follow this thread about the slowness (or supposed slowness) of the NC, the more I'm convinced I bought the right bike. I'm just a slow and cautious kind of guy. You tend to get that way at 64. I remember, and shudder, at the few times I dabbled with speed (whether on a bike or in a car) in my youth. I look back and say, I'm fortunate to still be here. The other day I was riding on a curvy stretch of road, just taking my time. I met a rider coming around a turn at great speed. I admired his skill and ability and I imagine he was enjoying his ride. I was enjoying mine too, so both of us were happy.

The more I follow this thread about the slowness (or supposed slowness) of the NC, the more I'm convinced I bought the right bike. I'm just a slow and cautious kind of guy. You tend to get that way at 64. I remember, and shudder, at the few times I dabbled with speed (whether on a bike or in a car) in my youth. I look back and say, I'm fortunate to still be here. The other day I was riding on a curvy stretch of road, just taking my time. I met a rider coming around a turn at great speed. I admired his skill and ability and I imagine he was enjoying his ride. I was enjoying mine too, so both of us were happy.

Please speak for yourself I'm coming up for 66 and I still enjoy the occasional blast of speed and still my kicks out of the using the acceleration. This is why I have the Crossrunner in addition to the NC. Horses for courses as they say.
My mind is still that of a sports bike rider however my body tells me different :)

Totally agree Danrev, I am not yet 64 but somehow I am always ahead of my peer group when safety is concerned. I will probably get there, while some others may not.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions here and it just so happens that you and I share the same one.

My biking buddies include all sorts of bikes and most of them are jolly good fellows. Most of them do take their racing to the tracks. Many of them also own multiple bikes (1 of them have 2 Panigales, one for road, one for track). Need for speed? Do it responsibly. On the track. Your life may be over or worthless, but not the one of a 5-yr old crossing the street.

0-60 in a hurry? Where's the fire?

:)
Ride safe all.

Last edited:
I like the NC700X the way it is, I don't really feel like it needs more power or acceleration. I like the light nimble feel and ease of control in traffic. 0-60, I really never took that into consideration. I was looking for overall fun factor.

0-60 is surely overrated. 40 - 60 or 60 - 80 is very useful for real-world riding, at least in my usage, but not 0 - 60.

Totally agree Danrev, I am not yet 64 but somehow I am always ahead of my peer group when safety is concerned. I will probably get there, while some others may not.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions here and it just so happens that you and I share the same one.

Old age and narrow-mindedness also cause some people to misread or misinterpret written opinions. They form their interpretations without re-reading the texts properly. Buzz off, I tell MYSELF.
My biking buddies include all sorts of bikes and most of them are jolly good fellows. Most of them do take their racing to the tracks. Many of them also own multiple bikes (1 of them have 2 Panigales, one for road, one for track). Need for speed? Do it responsibly. On the track. Your life may be over or worthless, but not the one of a 5-yr old crossing the street.

0-60 in a hurry? Where's the fire?

:)
Ride safe all.

Speed doen't kill it is inapropiate speed that kills. If you ride at speed according to the location and conditions you should be fine. Not many 5 year olds walking on the motorway at 2 in the morning. I always abide by the speed limits in built up areas especially near schools playgrounds and so on. un like some I make no claim to be the perfect person so yes when on open empty roads I like to make good progress as our police riders like to term it.
i have been riding for 49 years and covered well over 100,000 miles without hurting another person (did hit a suicidal cat once and head butted a pigeon) and the last accident that was held to be my fault was way back in '66 so I can hardly be classed as a menace on the road. I only claim to be an average rider and not some sort of riding God that can outride guys on bigger more powerful bikes.
To some up using the performance of your bike it boils down to time and place

true that!!

I has seen a bunch a dudes brake to late into a turn and he go schnisitz off road, dats right, uh huh!!

with speed there are un-calulated risks, that's why i now have a NC700X.

when I had my Vstrom 1000 I wanted to use most of it's power most of the time, I had locked the brakes a few, ok several, no, many times i had also slid the back end a few times, i got to the point of putting a extra pair of drawers on the bike along with a roll of TP for clean up after a ride.

Got off the bike and kissed the pavement a few times.

I am much happier with my NC700X.

Reaction time, and high speed do not go good together.

I have changed from Adrenalin to decaf and am much happier because of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
P1000975 Document compression.jpgFor my adrenalin runs i jump on one of my Goldwings,

Here is a picture of one of my wings a 86' that was fully faired, Faring, trunk, saddlebags, it was 700-Lbs fully dressed, But now she has Gone Naked,

and she now weighs 550-Lbs I took off everything I could to get the weight down and also put on some 80's goldwing parts as well as others to make her a little custom

also converted her to a single seat and 59' caddy tail lights

I have to say once you get all the weight off of the earlier Goldwing and add good rubber, they handle very well, the weight is surprisingly low, Brakes are also very good

Now she is down to approx 550-Lbs and 97 h.p. = 5.67 Lbs per H.P. and she still gets 42-46mpg

But still Nothing is better than the NC700X, One Throttle Body, No carb syncing.

To bad that Honda didn't go with hydraulic lifter's on the NC700X

Last edited by a moderator:
To bad that Honda didn't go with hydraulic lifter's on the NC700X

I agree. With the low rpm limit, hygraulic lifters would probably have worked on the bike, but then the engine is based partially on the fit, which requires valve adjustments, and then there is the additional costs.

but then the engine is based partially on the fit, which requires valve adjustments, and then there is the additional costs.

I think the "half a Honda Fit" statement was a tongue-in-cheek statement by one of the design team that got over-quoted and developed a life of its own. I am betting that project cost hurdles were more the deciding factor.

Previous discussion here...

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-technical/1931-1-2-fit-2.html

Back