• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First Road Trip on the NC

D

danrev

I just got back from my first ever long road trip. Spent 5 days riding the back roads of north central and eastern Oregon with two other riders. Rode a total of 1300 miles. As this was my first motorcycle trip I was figuring out what to take, what to leave behind, and what I should've taken. With the full complement of OEM storage together with the Frunk I had plenty of room for my gear. I did buy the VFR800 liners for the side cases, and they worked out well; just can't pack them full or they won't fit. The NC performed well. Average mpg of 78. No complaints with the Seat Concepts seat. My backside actually felt better than when I spend a whole day in my car. Only physical issue was my hands and wrists got achy by the end of each day; but then I just may be showing my age. I didn't count all the mountain passes we went up and down, but this may account for some of the hand/wrist problem. I kept telling myself to not tense up so much, but sharp curves on steep downhill grades were a little unnerving. Outside lefthand curves with no guard rails were the worst. It's obvious I need more experience. All in all it was a great trip, and I will begin planning next year's trip fairly soon.

Thanks for the write up. Experience comes a trip at a time, a mile at a time.

When I started touring a mentor told me about the "three pile method". When you get back from a trip unpack and place each item in one of three piles. The Used It and Take it Next Time pile; The Didn't Use It But Might Next Time; The Didn't Use It And Leave It Out Next Time. After sorting the three piles a few times packing becomes a lot easier as piles 1 & 2 get smaller.

Glad you had a good time with no hiccups on the ride! I get tense on the twisties, also.

It must be elevation or gas or something but I haven't been able to get over 72 mpg on my NC. I ride very conservatively changing gears around 3,500 rpm to get that mpg.

I love riding in Oregon.
So, many great place to ride and take pictures. Did you get any pictures?

Not as many as I would've liked. The other guys seemed to just want to go, and not 'stop and smell the roses'. Next trip I will let them know that I would like to take time to stop and see some of the interesting sites along the way.

Thanks for the write up. Experience comes a trip at a time, a mile at a time.

When I started touring a mentor told me about the "three pile method". When you get back from a trip unpack and place each item in one of three piles. The Used It and Take it Next Time pile; The Didn't Use It But Might Next Time; The Didn't Use It And Leave It Out Next Time. After sorting the three piles a few times packing becomes a lot easier as piles 1 & 2 get smaller.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Glad you had a good time with no hiccups on the ride! I get tense on the twisties, also.

It must be elevation or gas or something but I haven't been able to get over 72 mpg on my NC. I ride very conservatively changing gears around 3,500 rpm to get that mpg.

Maybe it's just the rarified air in the Pacific Northwest! I grew up in the deep south and remember the heat and humidity. Maybe 'sticky' air accounts for lower mileage!!!! I also ride conservatively and just put in whatever regular gas the station is selling.

Not as many as I would've liked. The other guys seemed to just want to go, and not 'stop and smell the roses'. Next trip I will let them know that I would like to take time to stop and see some of the interesting sites along the way.

Riding is not about getting to a destination, it is about the RIDE! I actually prefer not having a destination when I go for a ride. That way you are not in a hurry to get anywhere. Enjoy the RIDE.

Also, Dduelin is correct about stuff and clothing you carry on a motorcycle trip. Less is best!

Last edited:
As I grow older (and probably wiser), I tend to slow down and smell the roses, take a picture and drink a coffee. Even more often. (I am early 40s, in case you are curious)

I have had plenty of riding buddies to ride with, but very so often they ride like they are in a hurry to reach the waypoint and when I reach it (being the slowest bike and easy-rider riding style), they were already throttling up to hit the road to the next waypoint.
Where's the fire????

Life is NOT a race, no matter what school you attended.
It is about living (and riding) in a relaxed (I do not advocate lazy) manner, smelling the roses and experiencing life and then relearn until you get it right.
Blasting through the twisties can sometimes be exhilarating, but then it must be your non-riding life is so boring that you need this "fix"?
I do enjoy some reasonable technical challenges like "almost knee down" kind of road carving, but after a while when I am sure I can do it, I revert back to the "what's over there, lets stop" mode.

Take it easy. Try "touring" and not "racing".
Take a picture. Drink some water or make a coffee.
Ride and smell the winds (bring down the windshield).
You may still learn something new again?

Great advice guys. I also just got back from my first big trip. 5 days and 1550 miles also passes thru the central Oregon area and northern California. The cramp buster was a very good purchase. The guys I rode with do like to stop but even more time to kick back would be nice. I think next year will be Montana!

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

For me, there are 3 distinct riding modes:

Distance.
Some times/trips, I pick a theoretical BINGO* place I want to go, and can get there and back in my allotted holiday time. This can be both fun and not so fun. I like being able to check off a box "been there, done that" kinda thing, but it just takes a lot out of me to do grueling day after day of high mileage riding, only to immediately turn around and leave for home again.

Financial.
I can only go as far away as I can afford at the time. This is pretty "well, duh" sounding, but it does lessen the odds of me picking distance over time. ie: I might choose doing only two days ride, staying three in the area, and two days ride home, versus riding 3.5 days to get there, and 3.5 days riding back, or choose Basecamp mode. It costs a hell of a lot less for me to stealth camp out in the boonies for 5 days, than to put in 5 days worth of fuel, and motels/campsites.

Basecamp.
Go as fast and as far as I want to in one day, then kick back and spend 5 days puttering and exploring small surrounding distances, then (ugh, hate this part, lol) suffer the hideous long ride back home.

These choices do affect the kind and amount of stuff I pack, but not drastically. I always want my creature comforts, and would prefer to lug along stuff I likely will never use, based solely on my whims and mood, rather than sit and pout that I didn't bring something I suddenly really wanted to enjoy, lol. :eek:

* AKA "point of no return"; time/distance/fuel etc., type of idea.

I just got back from my first ever long road trip. Spent 5 days riding the back roads of north central and eastern Oregon with two other riders. Rode a total of 1300 miles. As this was my first motorcycle trip I was figuring out what to take, what to leave behind, and what I should've taken. With the full complement of OEM storage together with the Frunk I had plenty of room for my gear. I did buy the VFR800 liners for the side cases, and they worked out well; just can't pack them full or they won't fit. The NC performed well. Average mpg of 78. No complaints with the Seat Concepts seat. My backside actually felt better than when I spend a whole day in my car. Only physical issue was my hands and wrists got achy by the end of each day; but then I just may be showing my age. I didn't count all the mountain passes we went up and down, but this may account for some of the hand/wrist problem. I kept telling myself to not tense up so much, but sharp curves on steep downhill grades were a little unnerving. Outside lefthand curves with no guard rails were the worst. It's obvious I need more experience. All in all it was a great trip, and I will begin planning next year's trip fairly soon.[/

Danrev, I too just got my NC700x this spring and have done a few trips too this summer. My bike is set-up almost exactly like yours... honda luggage, SC seat,...... etc. I got about 65mpg on my trips this summer and have enjoyed all my time on the bike !!! I sure hope to go down to your part of the world soon..... I had planned to do Washington (around Olympic park,etc) this year BUT it didn't work out so I will try in 2015 I guess !!! Maybe I will do a Oregon and Washington in one trip and make it a trip to remember !!! :eek:

Back