• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NCXD first oil change

searsboy

Reaction score
Visit site
As the title implies I just finished the first oil change on my DCT.
Pretty cut and dry. I read other posts talking about the oil filter
being, let's just say, difficult. I shoulda paid more heed...I have
about 6 different filter wrenches and none of them worked! A trip
to the auto parts was ez enough. The clutch filter needed a little
pursuading to come out and a centerstand would be nice, but a
very smooth procedure.

Hey Searsboy,
Appears you've had a chance to ride some. I haven't had much chance due to multiple variables. Anyways, did you need a special tool for the clutch filter? I haven't looked too far in the manual about this.

I haven't ridden much lately...I get the same weather you do!!! But have 650 miles on NC. No special tool. I inserted needle nose pliers into the end of the filter, spread out the tips of the pliers and pulled out the filter. I'm sure I'll find a better way next time...might even get lucky and have it come out on it's own!!!
The clutch filter cover has an O ring that the manual, and I, recommend replacing.

It was a good day here, weather wise, to do something in the garage!!!
If I lived in Illinois I would've done the work in my living room!!! lol
I don't have a c-clip spreader, but I bet Harbor Freight has a cheap one!
I was surprised the filter was "stuck" in there like that.

Speaking of doing jobs on the bike in the living room haow many of you can relate to this ? :)

190744_10200296760844339_3948590_n_zpscf8dce01.jpg

Craig & Original Rocket, thanks for the input.
Craig, I'm a chicken when it comes to cold weather riding and now being under the weather, I've not even touched the bike since finishing up the accessories install. I'll be shooting some pics on all the accessories I've installed. Basically it's everything that Honda offers in the US minus the lights which I installed my own Denali's (LED) I had sitting from the NT (Deauville) I had them on about 2 years back.

Speaking of doing jobs on the bike in the living room haow many of you can relate to this ? :)

I really never had that problem. My wife was very supportive as long as I kept garage related stuff to the garage. I can see this happening especially in colder weather and when the garage isn't properly insulated. Very funny though.

Craig & Original Rocket, thanks for the input.
Craig, I'm a chicken when it comes to cold weather riding and now being under the weather, I've not even touched the bike since finishing up the accessories install. I'll be shooting some pics on all the accessories I've installed. Basically it's everything that Honda offers in the US minus the lights which I installed my own Denali's (LED) I had sitting from the NT (Deauville) I had them on about 2 years back.

I look forward to seeing those pics Ron.
I have quite the want list!!! The tailbag that I recently purchased I think
will satisy me, for now, as far as luggage. Right now I have my sights on a new seat...probably a Corbin.
I bought an airhawk that should be delivered today. Maybe that will help my current discomfort!

How much oil did you other DCT owners put in for the oil change?
I think the manual says 3.6 quarts, but I put in 3.8 to get the right
dipstick reading.

When we were looking to move as we pulled up outside what is now our home I saw that the ground floor actually include an internal garage and my response was we will take it. That was before we even looked inside :)

When we were looking to move as we pulled up outside what is now our home I saw that the ground floor actually include an internal garage and my response was we will take it. That was before we even looked inside :)

The ultimate man cave!!! lol

How much oil did you other DCT owners put in for the oil change?
I think the manual says 3.6 quarts, but I put in 3.8 to get the right
dipstick reading.

I also added 3.8 quarts to get the oil to the fill line. BUT I also prefilled the oil filter (I am using a larger D+ Bosch filter) and I have yet to start the bike.

I let it drain for an hour as I fiddled with the trans filter, and cleaning the bottom of the bike since I had the cowl off.

I will say, what was extremely nice, and hopefully was designed in, and not by complete accident. When you have the bike on the center stand, and it is completely level with the rear wheel off the ground. The oil drains out without dribbling down the engine block! The oil filter did the same thing, and the trans filter housing too! I couldn't believe it! I didn't have to change the location of the catch bucket, nor did I have to clean up oil runs on the engine! Thank you Honda!

Just did my 600 mile oil change yesterday on my DCT version and had to put in between 3.8 and 4 qts (the darn 4qt container is not transparent so I can't tell exactly how much is left, but it feels like next to nothing) to get the stick to read correctly after running the engine. I did not pre-fill the filter, just kept loading more oil after getting everything put together. I was thinking I was either going crazy or not able to correctly read the dipstick. Eventually it got the correct reading.

Note on installing the Transmission Filter Gasket/Cap thing. DO NOT PUT IT ON UPSIDE DOWN. I made this mistake and it cracked the whole edge of the cap clean off. It appears to be strictly cosmetic though; once I got it back on in the correct direction everything sealed up just fine.

Just did my 600 mile oil change yesterday on my DCT version and had to put in between 3.8 and 4 qts (the darn 4qt container is not transparent so I can't tell exactly how much is left, but it feels like next to nothing) to get the stick to read correctly after running the engine. I did not pre-fill the filter, just kept loading more oil after getting everything put together. I was thinking I was either going crazy or not able to correctly read the dipstick. Eventually it got the correct reading.

Note on installing the Transmission Filter Gasket/Cap thing. DO NOT PUT IT ON UPSIDE DOWN. I made this mistake and it cracked the whole edge of the cap clean off. It appears to be strictly cosmetic though; once I got it back on in the correct direction everything sealed up just fine.

Welcome to the forum SupremeBurrito. I see this is your first post. Lot of knowledge about the NC on this forum.

Howdy from Texas!

1.jpg

smileytexan.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Back